This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bleeding steering and transmission system.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bleeding steering and transmission system.
    Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 11:50am
Hello friends.

Is it every necessary to bleed the transmission and steering system. On my 16 the brakes, steering and transmission share a common system. Just curious if air in system would have any impact on steering.

Thank you.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 1:26pm
Should be Open Center self bleeding. Only issue I have had on the 7G is the suction on the steering and trans pumps air binding, bad flex connection rubber hoses and the line to the trans pump also sucking air.

Edited by DMiller - 17 Jan 2019 at 1:26pm
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Should be Open Center self bleeding. Only issue I have had on the 7G is the suction on the steering and trans pumps air binding, bad flex connection rubber hoses and the line to the trans pump also sucking air.

That is a good place to look into DMiller. I recall earlier posts from Morten that after he drained the tranny, sump of all oil, he took out the filter underneath the tractor and cleaned it and put back in. Not a disposable unit I guess. He then mentioned that he bled the lines at the front filters and found a lot of air trapped in system. He said it really helped.

My 16DC steers ok without a load on the blade if you always use the foot brakes along with steering levers. Going up a hill or pushing dirt, the tractor steers much better without having to use any brake pedal. I just would like to tighten it up as much as I can and not have to use the foot pedals as much. i back into my barn and the blade clears the door entrance with about 14 inches to spare on each side. i get her in no problem but really rely on the foot pedals to be sure I don't create a new barn entrance. LOLOL
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 6:24pm
When traveling straight ahead; if you pull back on both steering clutch levers does it stop traveling? If it does stop the steering clutches are disengaging as they should. If it doesn't stop your steering clutches are likely dragging. That would affect turning some.

I would expect you would need to use the brakes when turning without a load on the blade, unless you plan on making a real long arcing turn. My personal experience is a good rolling crawler, any size, will require use of the brakes to turn if running on flat ground without a load, or resistance to travel (uneven terrain, side hills, soft ground, rocks. etc.). Amount of brake application pressure required is dependent on load on the drive train and speed of turn required. When heavily loaded up hill a crawler will turn quite a bit, by just disengaging one steering clutch, if it doesn't loose traction on the one track still driving. If the steering clutches disengage when the levers are pulled and the brakes will apply smoothly, not grab, turns should be smooth and easy to make. JMHO.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic