This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bigger tires on JD40?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bigger tires on JD40?
    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 9:39am
Hey guys!

As I'm new to the tractor scene, this is the only forum I'm in so I figured I'd ask.

My uncle's JD40 has 11.2x34 9bolts. Calcium Chloride ate away the area surrounding the valve stem and the bead ripped when the shop was trying to break it free.

We've been looking for viable options (read reasonably priced) for a same sized replacement for a couple weeks and are coming up short.

Today, I found a pair of 18.4x38s on 9bolts, labeled as duals.

2 questions - first, is there any reason a dual CAN'T be run as a single. Second, is that tire too large for a JD40?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:59am
Check the bolt pattern diameter, I am thinking the 38s will have a larger diameter, duals indication I am not certain but could be a heavier center to take the side loading. Then have to consider the HP to turn those 18.4s with ballast in them.

Edited by DMiller - 07 Apr 2019 at 12:03pm
Tony.Or View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony.Or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 5:01pm
WAy to much  tire  for a  JD  40    ..     Tony
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 7:18pm
Thanks guys! The fluid (ballast) would definitely be removed. I didn't think about the strong possibility of bolt spacing. I'll have to check that out.

Way too much tire - to talk or to wide or both?
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 10:53pm
Way too wide and way too tall. I just checked with one of my old suppliers. 11.2x34 tires should cost you in the neighborhood of $250.00 each put on your little tractor. You will need tubes for those old rims. Have fun with it.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 07 Apr 2019 at 11:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic