This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

better late then never

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: better late then never
    Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 9:57pm
well after a long boring winter i have decide to try and get ready for the first pull thatt will be held on May 4th! So with that coming soon and me not doing a dang thing to my 45 (did not even start it all winter) i need to get somethings. The club i pull with offered a new class for this year that im going to hop in instead of going all crazy and draining the bank account then watching the wife pack,lol! They offered a "farm stock" class that is all basic stock except 10% rpm gain and tire choices that can go up to 229 sq in.
  I just need to know what to set valve lash at and if to set it hot or cold, also a good plug type to run? Also has anyone tried to run E85 in their tractors before and if they did was there any power difference?
 thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links

Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:32am
the CATP club.  Hope you do good. meet up with you at a pull this summer .

mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:19am
run e85 in mine with 4 1.25 flat tops runs real good just dont start very well below 40 degrees
2wise4agm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wise4agm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 11:45am
I would think it would run worse on e85. I have always heard that e85 has less energy than regular gasoline.
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 12:13pm
it requires more e85 have to drill jet out but dont spark knock because its higher octane
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 6:31pm
E85 is roughly 105 octane rateing. There should be roughly 5 to 6% power gain going to e85 over gasoline and roughly 11 to 12% when going to methanol. You gain torque as your power stroke happens over a longer time or more degrees of crankshaft rotation.

Now do you have enough compression to use it? Probably not. Will you see any gains? Probably not. Gas works with what you have. But if you were putting togather something with high compression and did some carb mods to work with e85 it would be better than gas.

Just rember, gasoline is easy. It works. Just set your valve lash and have fun. It really don't matter where you set the lash, just set it tight at at .012 or so, I wouldn't go much tighter, quick way to cause problems later.

Edited by wi50 - 05 Apr 2013 at 6:35pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mufflerboltz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:31pm
the reason for E85 is that it is obviously a form of alcohol and the rules read that any form of "pump fuel" can be ran, it also burns cooler and ignites faster then gasoline. 
  If remember right i think the jet has to be drilled 20% larger

Fields, you bet and i cant wait to see if my ole' 45 can keep up to yours, lol!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:10pm
A note of warning on E85. My son owns a head rebuild shop and he says that the cars that are running straight E85 that the heads on many of them have to be removed and they have to almost chisel the crud out. Tanking them doesn't cut it for what he uses. Car runs like crap until the heads are taken off and the crud chipped out. Of course it would be no problem on a puller and might be better. Leon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic