This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best removal tool for rounded bolt heads ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best removal tool for rounded bolt heads ?
    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 1:24pm
Rounded off a 6 point 12 mm socket bolt head on a dodge stratus, whats opinions on a good rounded off bolt extractor tool / socket ?
Sponsored Links

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 1:51pm
Weld a nut on top of it if possible. The heat will probably help too. I'd give it a couple a shock whacks with a BFH first.
HTH
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 1:55pm
TNT...…..? Had to say that before Shameless beat me to it.
Like Chaska said, if you have the room to do it, weld a nut onto it. Darrel
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 1:56pm
Yeah done all that stuff on bolts I could get too,, cant get to these bolt heads easily
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 1:59pm
Buy a Ferd !!

I'm assuming you can't drill out the center of the bolt and 'easyout' it ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 2:14pm
Yeah FERD,s the next option ,, nope its in a tough spot , but may be able to apply heat to the bolts,,
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 2:39pm
I have a set of the Craftsman sockets, and some off brand ones for lug nuts, like those. I have had luck getting some bolts and nuts having rounded off heads with them and some they didn't grip on. As always some good, some no good. Overall they have saved me enough that I feel they are worth the cost, every time they work I am coming out further ahead.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 2:50pm
Well, they make a set of sockets just for that purpose. They are tapered on the inside and have spirled teeth cut on the inside, do that as you put torque to it, it tries to pull itself further on to the bolt head. I have found whacking on the breaker bar over the socket helps in this process tremendously. Not sure where I got mine, but, I suspect NAPA.

If all else fails, centerpunch as near dead center as you can get the top of the bolt and start step drilling until the bolt head comes off. remove motor head and then remove remainder of bolt, with pipe wrench if necessary

Edited by LouSWPA - 31 Mar 2019 at 2:51pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 2:52pm
6 point rounded off 12mm - find the next smaller size 6 point socket to fit over the 12mm head - if you have to grind the flats to fit the new socket size - using a dremmel tool or other grinder - or a file ???? 
 using a 6 point socket - how in the heck do you round off corners ??? 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 3:05pm
Coke he didn't say he used a 6 point socket, he said it was a 6 point 12mm socket bolt head. probably used a 12 point 12mm instead.

Edited by chaskaduo - 31 Mar 2019 at 3:06pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 3:20pm
If he is saying a cap screw with a socket head to take allen wrench - then cutting the head off UNLESS you can weld a nut to it !
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 3:24pm
Thumbs Up
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 3:28pm
Yup tried the next size down 7\16 6 point no luck,, got a kit coming from Ebay ordered a few hours ago, just wondering the experience on here,!hope it works, thanks !
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 3:35pm
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 4:38pm
I've got them by grinding down the next size wrench then driving it into the socket and going from there occasionally. Same thing happened to me last night on a Lovejoy joint.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 5:07pm
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 5:32pm
I have some of these and they work
real good

B:-)    Dnoym
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 6:01pm
I like this approach, heat at first sign of it being a stubborn one, then apply beeswax, and let it wick into the area where the bolt meets the object that it is stuck in. (closest spot to threads) if as I understand it this is a hex socket cap screw, you may be able to use the salvage sockets, on the outside of the bolt. If its a small bolt, hit it with a 1/4 drive air impact.  If you can get it to move, even a little, use your favorite penetrating oil and keep using the impact.  Problem with the salvage sockets, is most of them have a one way twist, on them (to use counter clockwise), and you can't go back and forth like you could with a standard socket... Kinda like a catch 22, here...Wink

Also like this tool!  Much faster than dragging out a torch, much safer, too!

[TUBE]f2A8no15Ep0[/TUBE]

Edited by DiyDave - 31 Mar 2019 at 6:06pm
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 6:26pm
I'm wanting one of those. Thumbs Up
JohnH123 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 8:04pm
Ignorance is curable- stupidity is not. ~427435

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 12:51pm
I have what Creston posted, it has worked on everything I needed, and it was cheap!
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 4:30pm
So these really work in this situation? May try it gonna heat them up first!
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:13pm
One thing you can do to increase the grip of an Allen wrench is wet it with a little water and dip it in Comet or Bon Ami scouring cleanser.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 8:03am
Doug did you ever gets that rounded head bolt out. If yes, how did you get it out?
mhankins View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:57am
A female torx socket will sometimes work if you can find the correct size.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 7:44pm
Yes I did,, used heat and had to take more parts of the car apart to get to it to use an air wrench,, then used a bolt removal tool kit , and it was half way inbetween the sizes, soooo wore the bolt head down with an old socket then hammered the removal socket on - finally bit and spun it off , an hour job took 4 , but Im used to that !
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:06am
Good to hear, and it always feels good to win in situations like that. Now you got a bolt removal kit and probably never have to use it again, that's how it goes for me.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 11:33am
I hear ya there!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic