This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best/Cheapest Mower for WD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john0030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best/Cheapest Mower for WD
    Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 1:56am
Have a pretty solid WD. New to tractors in general, but learning quickly. looking for advice on best/cheapest mower for a WD?  I need to mow about 10 acres.
Sponsored Links

Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 3:35am
Only mowers I've seen around my parts is either an Artsway or a woods mower. I had a woods on my C I used to have but I had to quit using it. Fer one, I couldn't get the nurse to run it, and two if I got even remotely close the thet dang ole apple tree, it'd reach out and take the muffler clean off the tractor, so you gotta watch out fer them.

I got a WD again now an I have another woods fer it to, but thet dang WD, I ain't about to let it go outside till it quits leakin oil all over my clean garage floor.
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 7:36am
Do you want a finish mower or a bush hog type? If you can find one of the older Sidewinder trail behind 6 footers in good condition it would handle anything you want to cut. Or if the WD has 3 point hitch you could get a 6 or 7 foot medium duty. Get one that you can get parts for, especially if buying used.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 8:59am
If you want a finish mower I would go with a Woods as Les suggested. You can get a belly mower to fit the WD but IMHO a WD is a bit large for one. But if you have one tractor get what works for you. The cheapest very likely will not be the best.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 9:27am
What are you mowing and what do you want it to look like? You can pick up a pull type brush mower for a few hundred $$$. If you want to mow 10 acres of golf course grass save the WD and go buy a good used commercial ZTR mower.
AaronSEIA
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 9:35am
I have a 6' woods 3 point brush cutter that works good. I modified it to mow the yard with many years ago. Trees got bigger and have problems with tree limbs and the muffler as Les said, either that or get one in an arch from the muffler and it will slap you right off the tractor.

If you mow a tree line with low limbs keep the tree line of the left side. A limb WILL grab the throttle lever and open it up for you in the worst possible places.
Believe it or not I have a small Ferd diesel with a 6" belly mower for the yard now. Hydrostat everything. Don't have to do much trimming.

I have a 10 acre field I mow now and then and wish I had a pull behind 6' with the WD.
3 point just don't get it to my liking. It would float the ground better and get a more even job. I will get one eventually and am thinking about converting the 3 point to hydraulic and adapting it to the skidsteer for tight places and down in the trees.

As far as cheap goes I always figured a $100 a foot for a decent one you don't have to rebuild or minor stuff.

Edited by fixer1958 - 01 Jan 2017 at 9:36am
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 12:08pm
With my WD45 I used an Allis snap coupler to 3pt conversion without the center link to pull a finish mower.

The first one was 5' M&W with rear caster wheels and I had to chain the front to keep it level. The one I use now is a 6' Woods with 4 caster wheels, it does a better job.

I prefer the rear mount over the belly mower because it keeps the tractor usable for any other job and the cost of the mower is about the same.
AGCO My Allis Gleaner Company
john0030 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john0030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 2:15am
Thanks for all the input. Don't need a manicured finish, just something to keep the grass under control. Thanks to all who responded. 
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 5:40am
I have a 6' Kioti rear discharge finish mower that I converted over to snap coupler. It has 4 caster wheels on it. Parts are available locally. Does a nice job and I got it as a 3 point an a auction for $300. I STILL dont like 3 pt.stuff.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic