This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Allis for beginner pulling?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Allis for beginner pulling?
    Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 12:00pm
I kinda sorta want to get into pulling, but I don't want to spend a whole lot of money in doing so. I'm looking to pull in the "stock" classes. I'm trying to figure out what A-C is the best choice for "stock" pulling. I'm kinda looking at WC's or WD45's, something in the lower price range. I would like the tractor to still be a use-able farm tractor as well as being able to compete in pulls. I like the WC's because they are simple with no extra frills. Though I would think a WD45 would compete well in the 4500# class with few mods. So what do you guys think?

Thanks 
Randy
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 1:20pm
Around here the 4000 to 7000 classes are full of "Nicely" running tractors while the 3000 to 4000 lb class is pretty thin.

For my opinion:
2500 I pick the C (3000 max)
2800 to 3500 I pick the CA
3000 to 4000 I pick the WC
4000 to 4500 I pick the WD45

Depends on what class(s) you want to aim for, what you have to transport it with, and money for mods/weights. 
The WD45 competes pretty darn good across the board if it has a "fresh" engine, I think you can pull it up to 6000 lbs if you have enough weights.

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 1:25pm
first thing first is to get with the sled owners and organizations and check on rules.. nothing more fustrating than showing up and they bump u to a class your not ready for.. this will help you decide your tractor to best choose.. maybe you have smaller sleds in your area  and can get away with #3200 class and have some fun with a wc ? good luck hope you find your tractor of choice..
Burgie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 2:14pm
Right on Charllie. Who is saying what is stock????
"Burgie"
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 2:15pm
D21! LOL! May be hard to get light enough for the classes you mentioned though!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 2:45pm
WildBill has a good point on Sled size.

My B pulls good on the small sleds, but the full size sleds give me fits and are not much fun. Same with the D17.

Randy, take your B to the pulls and have fun and learn. I am still learning a lot with my B

Soon enough the bug will catch you and your stock tractor will not be enough, bigger tires, more power,....then Diesels...turbos....smoke!

Edited by Charlie175 - 24 Sep 2012 at 2:45pm
Charlie

R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 2:51pm
This is a link to the "stock" class rules for the only show I currently go to that has a pull. It looks like 4500# is the lightest class. Would a WC compete in this class?  http://www.nationalthreshers.com/images/show%20information/MVP%20Rules%20DIV1.pdf
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Charlie175 Charlie175 wrote:

WildBill has a good point on Sled size.

My B pulls good on the small sleds, but the full size sleds give me fits and are not much fun. Same with the D17.

Randy, take your B to the pulls and have fun and learn. I am still learning a lot with my B

Soon enough the bug will catch you and your stock tractor will not be enough, bigger tires, more power,....then Diesels...turbos....smoke!

Good point, I would consider my B to be pretty healthy and it has decent tires. Now you got me thinkin! Haha
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 3:50pm

RW ,  THE WC WILL PULL IN THAT CLASS BUT YOU WILL RUN OUT OF POWER STOCK.. WILL NEED SOME WORK ON THE ENGINE AND SOME WEIGHT..I ADVISE TO GET A LARGER CARB FIRST  GET HER RUNNING WELL MAKE SURE THE DRAW BAR IS SET RIGHT WITH YOUR ORGANIZATION THEN GET SOME WEIGHTS .. YOU CAN GO PULLING AND GET A FEEL FOR THE SLED .. TAKE PERSONAL NOTES WHEN YOU HOOK.. THIS WAS MY DOWN FALL AND WAS TO EXCITED TO PAY ATTNETION TO THE CHAIN LENGTH AND HOW THE TRACK CONDITION  WAS ... ITS FUN TO LISTEN TO THEN NEW PULLERS AND HOPE THIS GETS PASSED DOWN TO OTHER GENERATIONS..!  CHARLIE  175 HAS GREAT INFO ALSO IN PAST THREADS...

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by R.W R.W wrote:

This is a link to the "stock" class rules for the only show I currently go to that has a pull. It looks like 4500# is the lightest class. Would a WC compete in this class?  http://www.nationalthreshers.com/images/show%20information/MVP%20Rules%20DIV1.pdf

That is pretty much the same rules I pull with except we use 20" drawbar.

You would need a 226 block on that WC I would think. 1st gear on WC's are not low enough for the power they came with for pulling
Charlie

colroy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 5:59pm
use a wc put a rc rearend and a d 17 or e gleaner engine n and you wont have any problems pulling 3200 3500 4000 4500
richfarmsystem View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richfarmsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 9:11pm
first mistake is "want to pull with and use for farming"

ALLISMAN32 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ALLISMAN32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 9:58pm
If you find a rc rear differential, take the time and put the ring and pinion into a wc carrier. Rc carrier is short the rear support bearing for the pinion gear. The other oiption is to find a wc high crop rearend which should have the slower gear ratio like a rc but proper pinion support. GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by richfarmsystem richfarmsystem wrote:

first mistake is "want to pull with and use for farming"

I think I know what your saying, but I don't see a reason you can't pin a clevis on a WD45 and go have a little fun pulling. Then when home, take the clevis off and go back to work. This is the reason I want to pull in "stock" classes.
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 4:39pm
I agree most of us on this site are engine gu- ru's and want to hop it up for u. Lol just take time for good chassis set up then go have a blast pulling!! Shoot more contestants helps build your local pulling organization . " give her the onion ". Lol
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 6:50pm
Thanks Bill, I think I'll keep my eye out for a WD45 as they seem to have the best power for their size. Thanks again to all you guys!
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 6:38pm
Just a little update, I was reading some local pull rules and some "not all" require the operator to be at least 16. As much as I would like to find a tractor, I think I will just keep it as a spectator sport for now. 
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 8:56pm
A good running 45 will be fun for ya randy.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 1:23pm
I have fun with my B!
Big smile

Charlie

colroy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 5:45pm
I have a wc with a gleaner engine in it ready to pull for 1500 if your interested
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 6:41pm
Nice pic Charlie! Looks like fun to me! 

Colroy, I'll kindly decline your offer. 1300 miles round trip is quite a drag with the price of diesel.
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by R.W R.W wrote:

WC with a stock block, a stock WD45 crankshaft and stock WD flat top pistons will make more power than a stock WD45 and all the parts were available from the dealer. Big smile
 I know of stock appearing MMUB blocks that have been bored out and had Allison aircraft pistons installed with special made rods, stroked crank and run around 800 cubic inches instead of 350 or whatever the UB had. This engine will turn 150HP on a dyno running at stock RPM.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 8:23pm

Danged things sound like a locomotive at idle too!

Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

I know of stock appearing MMUB blocks that have been bored out and had Allison aircraft pistons installed with special made rods, stroked crank and run around 800 cubic inches instead of 350 or whatever the UB had. This engine will turn 150HP on a dyno running at stock RPM.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic