This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Belt problems -- Woods L306 mower under a CA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdon_FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Belt problems -- Woods L306 mower under a CA
    Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 1:32pm
Spend about half a day yesterday adding a woods L306 belly mower to my CA. Bought used mower and used belt from a guy on the forum. All good until I tried to mow with it.

Belt twists (rolls over on its back on some of the pulleys) and is wearing down quickly with rubber powder being dusted onto the back pulleys.

I downloaded the Woods manual for my mower and studied its photos but am still not sure I have the belt and the pulleys set up right. Can someone post clear and up-close photos of how the back of their CA looks with the mower on it (?) Any tips or tricks that are not in the manual (?)

The way I have it, there is a partial twist in the belt as it comes out of the "left side" pulley and runs up to the PTO pulley. This seems to be where the "roll" is coming from, but I'm not sure. And I can't see any other way to make the belt work in the V grooves without that twist.

Also, the manual says to run the belt "tight" but I don't know what that means. How tight is tight, IOW.

thanks in advance.
Chris in NE Florida
Sponsored Links

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 3:36pm

This is a C with a woods 59 but the belts should be the same. How tight?? About tight enough to play Yankee doodle. The spindles have tapered bearings like wheel bearings and the idlers have heavy bearings and will take a tight belt. I will soon start the seventh season on the same new belt. Once you have a belt roll over you might as well buy a new one.  That has been my experience anyway. This is strung for right hand blade turn which is a little different than the left had. My left hand 59 is up at the factory and I have no belt pictures of it.

Edited by Dick L - 26 Feb 2017 at 3:40pm
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 5:26pm
Dicks C looks like my CA. But the idler pulleys are differant. One is on each side of the tensioner support. Except it's winter here and mine is currently hanging on the wall. Move the deck back as far as you can it's best to run the idler pulleys as low in the adjustment slots as possible. The pulley below the fry edge of the belt pulley run all the way to the bottom of the adjustment slot.The belt needs to be tight I use a 3' crowbar on the pulley to tighten it. Your deck needs to be properly leveled. The front of the deck sits about an inch lower than the back. Use a long straight edge and check for the belt alignment fron the idlers to the center pulley on the deck. I get a few years out of a belt mowing my 4 acre yard and the churches 8 acre yard every week. If the belt has turned and run you might as well throw it away. I've ruined a belt picking up a stick mowing throught the trees at the church. Once it turns over I have to stop and flip it back frequently. So when I get home I just put a new one on. The local JD dealer has one in stock.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 26 Feb 2017 at 5:48pm
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 6:01pm
Dick's C looks like my C,----run idlers as low as you can,---and like the guys said,-- you gotta have a new belt once they turn over on ya!!! thanks; ac fleet
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 7:24pm
Just ageeing with everyone, once rolled over you might as well run it til it breaks.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
cdon_FL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdon_FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 7:43pm
I am the OP. thanks for the ideas offered so far. Here's some more info.... maybe this will help you guys help me....

Both my "idler" pulleys are on the left (outboard) side of the tensioner bracket. Is that right or wrong ? The manual mentioned "left" and "right" pulleys. But I assumed that this just meant that one of them is to the left of the other and both are in the outboard side of the slotted tensioner bracket. Maybe one should be on one side of the bracket and the other on the left (?)

I read in the manual to position the mower such that both pulleys are near the bottoms of their respective slots.   I think I am OK on that issues.

Maybe I should post a picture of how mine is set up now (not working) and let you guys pick it apart (?) I

And sounds like need a new belt since mine has rolled over already. and it needs to be really tight.
Chris in NE Florida
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 8:13pm
Look at my picture! Do you really think if you had one idler on one side and the other idler on the opposite side you would be able to keep the belt on the drive pulley?
A few pictures at different angles would help people help you. That would be helping not picking anything apart. 
cdon_FL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdon_FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 8:16pm
Also....all my pulleys have V grooves in them. Is this correct (?)

IOW, NONE of my pulleys is a "flat slot" pulley style sometimes used as idlers where the BACK side of the belt rides in the middle of the shiny wide slot.

I have seen pictures on the web of some setups having one of these wide flat slot style pulleys in the back of the tractor.
Chris in NE Florida
pumpkinman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pumpkinman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 8:52pm
BUY A WOODS BELT NOT A AFTERMARKET A FEW DOLLARS MORE BUT WELL WORTH IT
                                                          KENT
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by cdon_FL cdon_FL wrote:

Also....all my pulleys have V grooves in them. Is this correct (?)

IOW, NONE of my pulleys is a "flat slot" pulley style sometimes used as idlers where the BACK side of the belt rides in the middle of the shiny wide slot.

I have seen pictures on the web of some setups having one of these wide flat slot style pulleys in the back of the tractor.

Ah ha! The top idler will need to have a flat bottom. You will need to get it from Woods to have it last because of as tight as the belt has to be. That would cause a good belt to roll over.  I am not sure that you wouldn't be able to match the idler at a John Deere or Case IH dealer though. Except you don't have one to match it to. 

I need to amend the above as I have not looked at how the twists are for the 306. I was going by my 59's on the idlers.

Edited by Dick L - 26 Feb 2017 at 9:22pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 9:58pm
I had both an L59 which I gave away and a L 306 which I still use. Both mounts have one pulley on each side of the slotted plate and both pulleys are V pulleys. I can't find any pictures with them mounted. But I'll look on my old computer tommorrow. If you follow the instlation instructions you'll be able to get it right. There's a couple pages on setting it up and aligning the belt. I bought my L 306 new from the woods dealer so I'm pretty sure it's correct. It came banded to a pallet with all the hardware packaged and bound to it.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 6:56am
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

I had both an L59 which I gave away and a L 306 which I still use. Both mounts have one pulley on each side of the slotted plate and both pulleys are V pulleys. I can't find any pictures with them mounted. But I'll look on my old computer tommorrow. If you follow the instlation instructions you'll be able to get it right. There's a couple pages on setting it up and aligning the belt. I bought my L 306 new from the woods dealer so I'm pretty sure it's correct. It came banded to a pallet with all the hardware packaged and bound to it.

I think I was wrong on the flat pulley. I think that is the difference in the 59 and the L59. After I said he needed a flat idler I thought the L59 had both V idlers with a twist in the belt between the drive pulley and the drive pulley.  I have a shield on my L59 and the idlers do not show the belt in what pictures I have of it. That may be the difference in the belt life between my two mowers.  With the flat idler I do not have the twist from the top idler up. This is the first I picked up on that difference.

Edited by Dick L - 27 Feb 2017 at 6:57am
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 7:15am
If both idler pulleys on the L Deck are V pulleys you will have a 1/2 twist on the back (forward) side between the pulleys. It is this 1/2 twist in the short distance between the idlers that creates problems. You must have the idler and deck pulleys aligned exactly...and keep the belt extremely tight, to minimize the problem; the Woods manual has the details. Also, the idler pulleys have a pressed in sealed bearing that can wear causing the idler to "wobble" and give problems. A flat idler on the top, Like Dick L's eliminates the 1/2 twist as it runs on the back of the belt. Both idler pulleys have a 5/8" bore in the bearings; You may be able to locate a flat idler pulley at an implement dealer. I have used after market belts for 4-5 seasons without difficulty; but have re-tightened them a few times during the season to take up the "stretch" that develops during use. Once you have the mower set up properly, you will love it; however, until then it is a PITA!! The generic belt for the L306 is "B248" and the generic belt for the L59 is "B225".
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 7:55am
Originally posted by GregLawlerMinn GregLawlerMinn wrote:

If both idler pulleys on the L Deck are V pulleys you will have a 1/2 twist on the back (forward) side between the pulleys. It is this 1/2 twist in the short distance between the idlers that creates problems. You must have the idler and deck pulleys aligned exactly...and keep the belt extremely tight, to minimize the problem; the Woods manual has the details. Also, the idler pulleys have a pressed in sealed bearing that can wear causing the idler to "wobble" and give problems. A flat idler on the top, Like Dick L's eliminates the 1/2 twist as it runs on the back of the belt. Both idler pulleys have a 5/8" bore in the bearings; You may be able to locate a flat idler pulley at an implement dealer. I have used after market belts for 4-5 seasons without difficulty; but have re-tightened them a few times during the season to take up the "stretch" that develops during use. Once you have the mower set up properly, you will love it; however, until then it is a PITA!! The generic belt for the L306 is "B248" and the generic belt for the L59 is "B225".

There ya go. This is the real deal!
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 9:22am
GregL is mostly right. You need a grooved top idler pulley on the L models under all circumstances. It sets the direction of the belt to the main spindle pulley. A flat idler pulley in that spot lets the belt roll. btdt.

The non-L models used a flat idler, just like DickL's picture shows.
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 9:34am
 I will try to get pictures from our "B". It has the L59 mower but the belt setup is the same.
 Get a new belt and make sure it is as tight as a banjo string. I tighten mine up by using a 6 foot bar pushing on the pulleys until I can't move them any more.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
DON G View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DON G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 1:07pm
Years ago someone posted on here how to convert mowers to 3 belts. Need 2 idlers to tighten short belts. I am unable to locate that post. It gave belt sizes. Lower belts around B65?
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 9:29pm
Chris, let me see if I can help you.
I've been mowing with a CA and L306 for 35 years.
The C and B mowers and belt configuration are not the same as a CA, L306.
My mower and mounts are "modified" but work really well.
Here's a couple of pics.

The v idler on the left has a !/2 twist, the v idler on the right has 1 1/4 twist between the idler and center pulley. In the picture below you can see the draw bolt I use to tighten my belt. 5/8  bolt welded to the head of the idler bolt and a collar welded low to draw it down. One 15/16 wrench and get it as tight as you need. And as stated above the belt needs to be fiddle string tight. Push on the belt between the drive shieve and the idler, put about 10lbs of pressure on it, if it moves more than 1/2 inch, your belt is not tight enough. Keep the left idler as low as possible by moving the whole deck forward with the rear deck carrier.

This pic shows the washers I use to align the idlers with the drive shieve. I had to many washers on the right idler and it would roll the belt when I hit some tall grass (belt would stretch). Took 2 out, now it will kill the tractor, if I don't grab the hand clutch in time. Full season on this belt and good for another year. I don't even run a the "Wood's" belt, I run a PIX 248 but my driven shieves are smaller to increase blade speed. Pic also shows my belt tension draw bolt a bit better. I run 13.6x24 tires,a mag and run in 2nd in yard grass 8" tall. It really is a grass hog. Don't give up on your CA, L306. It's one of the best mowing combinations when everything is set right. Pm me with any questions if you like, may take a day or two, but I will respond. 
Good luck.
Leon B

Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 7:47am
Leon's got it right, the lower idler pulley is on the right side and the upper pulley is on the left side. You will need a bunch of 5/8" flat washers and/or 5/8" machine washers as shims to align the pulleys. The belt must enter the 3 pulleys straight on. I like the way Leon's idler bracket has been re-engineered with the tightening bolt added; has to make keeping the belt tight much easier. Get the manual for the deck and study it, then check out your pulley alignments as stated in the manual. It also contains a diagram on installing the belt.

A free PDF from the Woods website (http://www.woodsequipment.com/) is available there; or pm me your regular email and I can send you a PDF copy of mine. Setting up the mower per the manual will make the mowing experience much more pleasant. Nothing like the sound of a good CA and smooth Woods deck for mowing. I ran my CAs in 3rd gear and 1/2 throttle to mow; when getting into taller grass, would go to 2nd and 2/3 throttle to keep the blades spinning fast enough for the tough stuff

I have been told that one can obtain "double" V belts, that is one that has the V's on both side that eliminate the need to twist the belt for applications that need to run off the back side of the belt. Never followed thru on the tip or tried them on the Woods; the my AGCO Allis 2020LC has one and it stands up well. I have been purchasing my belts from Jaydee (http://www.jdv-belts.com/catalogs.html). Their belts are reasonably priced, the folks are knowledgeable and helpful, and their service is great.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 8:01am
If a belt gets a "set" in it, that can make it want to roll off, even if things are set up right. I had that problem a couple times and just remove the belt and flip it over, putting it back on so it runs all the twists and bends to the opposite side of the belt.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 11:38pm
I had a B with I believe the L 306 deck. The belt was twisted in about every possible way but to my amazement it still worked fine. I sold it because I hated climbing on and off that thing.
cdon_FL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdon_FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 6:47am
Thanks, everyone !   Formum is fantastic !

I will get busy implementing these ideas and post an update on how it works out.

It's clear that I have one of my pulleys on the wrong side. and that I have not had my belt even halfway close to tight enough.
Chris in NE Florida
cdon_FL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdon_FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:27am
UPDATE from OP

I added a weld-on tightening system (thanks to a tip from Leon B MO) to the lower rear pulley and that made things more better.  Easy to tighten the belt now.

My mower works OK now but I burned up a belt during the process of getting it dialed in.  Am surprised at how tight the belt has to be to stay in the grooves through the various twists. 

Thanks for all the ideas / photos / help / encouragement.
Chris in NE Florida
cdon_FL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdon_FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 8:49am
UPDATE from OP...

I think I am getting My L306 mower setup pretty well dialed in.  As you may recall from earlier posts, I burned up my first belt but made some tweaks before putting a second belt on it.

I reduced the number of flat washers between the lower rear idler pulleys and the rear mount bracket.  Trying to get them a little bit more in line (vertically) with the big PTO pulley above them.

My new belt was a tiny bit too short for me to be able to use my new tightening system, but it seems to mow OK without being super tight.  Belt seems to run cooler now too.

My back field is Bahia grass and grows tough and thick.   I have learned that the L306 is a finish mower, and not a bush hog.  In high, heavy and damp grass I reduce the "bite" I take as I go round and round to reduce the load on the belt.  The hand clutch on my CA comes in handy, too.  Can keep the PTO and the blades spinning and ease into the heavy sections a little bit at a time with the hand clutch.

The CA with the L306 is turning out to be a pretty nice mowing machine -- just as many on this forum promised.  Glad I persisted.
Chris in NE Florida
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 9:46pm
Glad you've got it going the way you want.  I'm switching my L306 from my C to a CA that I have to pick up and I'm looking forward to it.  I've gotta do it fast, as I think there is a rear wheel bearing going out on my C.  Good luck!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 7:22am
Good to hear you are making progress with the mower. Moving the deck towards the back of the tractor will give you more "length" in the belt allowing you to get more space between the idler and drive pulleys. It seems that the more distance you can get between the idlers and drive (especially the one that gets the 1/2 twist; the better. Experiment with the rear mounting (back and forth; and up and down) until you determine the best position....then write down the number of "holes" in and up for when you take the mower off. Persistence and patience will pay off.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 8:16am
Rember moving the deck up and down in the back sets your mowing height. You need to start at the front edge set your garage wheels to your desired mowing height. Select a mount hole so the blades are 1/2" lower in the front than the back and move the deck back as far as you can before hitting the tire. I had to cut 2 holes off the left side one. Those mounts are universial ther provided for all tractors. Get the left pulley down as far as posiable. The half twist is nessasary. Replacing that pulley with a flat pulley will cause the belt to run on the back side under tension. That's not good for belt life. Get that belt as tight as you can I use a 3 ft pry bar on the right pulley when tightening. I've run the same belt for five years mowing 12 acres every week. But when your belt flips and isn't running in the V it'll wear out real soon. I've caught a branch in a new belt mowing the church and ruined a week old belt. A Pix belt seems to last the longest. That's what the woods dealer recommended over a woods belt. The belts from JDV belts are a lot Cheeper and I get two or three years out of them.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Glad you've got it going the way you want.  I'm switching my L306 from my C to a CA that I have to pick up and I'm looking forward to it.  I've gotta do it fast, as I think there is a rear wheel bearing going out on my C.  Good luck!!

I'd bet you;ll like the CA better for mowing. It's nice to have extra gears to work with under different conditions.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic