This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Becasue I like beating dead horses...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Becasue I like beating dead horses...
    Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 7:23am
Looks like AGCO NA made money third quarter...

I noticed how this release supplies more detailed information on units sales.

Seems for the first nine months, NA and Europe sales have been flat or tanked.

South America seems to be keeping AGCO profitable. If SA tanks, big trouble.
Isn't SA where there still is Orange ?

Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 10:28am
There was an article in the Farm Journal online blog about NA tractor and combine sales being up this last quarter.  I guess if AGCO's NA sales aren't up, maybe AGCO did something wrong, LIKE DROPPING THE ORANGE LINE!!!!!
BTW Tom, beating a dead horse is probably more PC as the PETA guys might not protest  -  as much.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 10:36am
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

There was an article in the Farm Journal online blog about NA tractor and combine sales being up this last quarter.  I guess if AGCO's NA sales aren't up, maybe AGCO did something wrong, LIKE DROPPING THE ORANGE LINE!!!!!
BTW Tom, beating a dead horse is probably more PC as the PETA guys might not protest  -  as much.

Well, according to AGCO, third quarter NA unit sales are up.  For the year it is +2%. However for the year SALES $ is down -9%

So that means they are dropping prices to move units? hmm Mixed bag.  

The only thing that is making AGCO looking good right now is the SA sales which are going gangbusters is appears.

I gonna bet that NA long term will continue to be mediocre at best.
So far thats what it appears...

Edited by TomYaz - 26 Oct 2010 at 10:53am
John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 11:27am
Originally posted by TomYaz TomYaz wrote:

Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

Well, according to AGCO, third quarter NA unit sales are up.  For the year it is +2%. However for the year SALES $ is down -9%

So that means they are dropping prices to move units? hmm Mixed bag.  

I'd guess that they are selling smaller/lower priced units.

Edited by John (C-IL) - 26 Oct 2010 at 11:28am
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 11:35am
I see ads in the Fastline paper for Massey offering 0% for several years but then again NH and Kubota are also offering that.  Haven't noticed what JD has but I'm sure they have some program.  When the big guys can borrow money for nearly free, it would be stupid not to offer low or no interest of a machine.  With the way farm commodity prices are right now, I suspect there will be a lot of combine and big tractor sales before the end of the year.  Question is, will AGCO be able to get a very big share?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 2:45pm
I must say that I have very low interest in them right now, too.
Until we get the chance to tar and feather, we will have to be happy with beating the dead horse, I suppose.
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 2:55pm
It's a great way to blow off steam. Anyway AGCO deserves it for being so stupid..
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
nowversatile View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowversatile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 9:24pm

This is very curious, listened to call concerning improvements to NA. Questions are where is improvement coming from? Industry sales according to AEM are up 46.9% for 100HP and greater row crop, up 20% for 4WD's and 11% for combines in September. AGCO's 3Q release document manipulates overall industry numbers by including compacts to show an overall increase of 2%. AGCO's numbers (row crop tractors) are down, WAY DOWN! (They won't admit how much) Apparently the bright spots were Gleaner and Sunflower in NA, however, the new  S7 was not in any pictures in the earnings release nor was it even mentioned by the dictator wrecking ball. As previously stated, SA is saving their bacon, and it will be interesting to see what happens when the SA governments stop writing the big checks to farmers and there is no more Orange tractor. I don't see how this book cooking ponzi scheme can keep going.

And, no Tom, You are not beating a dead horse, this subject is way too important to drop and needs to be kept at the forefront. What this foreign interloper has done is despicable. Many people are going to be hurt when the game quits working.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 1:45am

Nowversatile,

They are claiming the opposite of what you said for NA:

"In the first nine months of 2010, industry unit retail sales of tractors increased modestly in North America compared to the same period in 2009. Growth in high horsepower tractors and compact tractors was partially offset by a decline in utility tractors. Strong and improving economics for the professional producer sector contributed to the strength in retail sales of high horsepower tractors and combines. Ongoing softness in the dairy and livestock sectors contributed to lower industry unit retail sales of mid-range tractors and hay equipment, which both declined compared to the first nine months of 2009"

I guess AGCO wants you to think that the mere 2% overall increase would be better if small tractor sales werent so sucky. But if that were the case, one wouldthink those large tractor sales that are supposedly going so great would not result in a 9% DECREASE in sales $ overall.   Thing is they are selling a lot more than just tractors and it hard to see the tractor numbers all by themselves to know what really is going on.  I do find it curious they supplied tractor unit data this quarter. Dont recall seeing that in the other two releases. Methinks they are trying to dispell the idea that tractor sales have tanked.

Edited by TomYaz - 27 Oct 2010 at 1:47am
nowversatile View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowversatile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 3:39am
On page 5 of slide presentation, it shows what they claim for industry numbers, (heavily diluted by the glorified lawnmowers - compacts), and right below, they have "down" arrows to show AGCO's results for tractors and combine numbers in NA. Problem is, they won't provide specifics. From what I have heard, most dealers are still selling Orange as they can get them, once they are gone they are perplexed as to what comes next.

Here is the actual AEM report YTD and for September (looks pretty good to me):

TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 5:31am
Originally posted by nowversatile nowversatile wrote:

On page 5 of slide presentation, it shows what they claim for industry numbers, (heavily diluted by the glorified lawnmowers - compacts), and right below, they have "down" arrows to show AGCO's results for tractors and combine numbers in NA. Problem is, they won't provide specifics. From what I have heard, most dealers are still selling Orange as they can get them, once they are gone they are perplexed as to what comes next.

Here is the actual AEM report YTD and for September (looks pretty good to me):

Oh crap I misread that...2% up is INDUSTRY, not AGCO. I guess I need to take back what I said....So we really dont know how many tractors AGCO sold...just have to "take their word" on it.. ok...

So all we know is NA made money 3rd quarter, but we have no real idea how that translates into tractors as they sell a lot of other stuff.  I would think that if MF tractor sales were a big part of it, they would be blasting it from the rooftops. Not the case...
were

Edited by TomYaz - 27 Oct 2010 at 5:35am
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 9:02am
I'm sure it's not uncommon for industry but AGCO has often put out crazy numbers to justify what their doing on the inside.  In past years NA was slammed for not making them any money but who knows if they put all their exec salaries, etc. in NA.  This year is different either because they want to boost NA to show they did the right thing or the new tax law actually came into effect where over seas profits from NA companies are now taxed.  I heard that was coming but don't know if it did or is.  Either way, their screwed.  They made a bonehead decision to cut orange without any good financial reason.  They alienated a portion of the customer base at a time where there was a financial crisis. 

AGCO, however big, is still only a fraction of the size with a fraction of the assets AC had.  AGCO brags that they are the only big Ag company to be only in Ag but if you ask any financial analysts what you should do with your finances they'll say have investments in multiple  places that have little to do with one another.   AC had power generation, construction equipment, pumps, Ag equipment, etc.   Point is, AC was in a much better position before the fall than AGCO has ever been and AC went down because of bad management and bad timing with the economy.   That IS something AGCO has in common with AC...bad management and bad timing with the economy.   I'll be shocked if they survive.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 9:24am
Bryon,

If you look a their balance sheet, espcially cash, they are better off this year YTD than last. Stock price is going up too.  But I think all their eggs are in one basket in two senses--One, only in Ag as you mentioned, two, only SA is doing well.  Any investor should be digging into these details and not just look at the balance sheet and quarterlys  before dropping some coin.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic