This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bearing Crush

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlphaGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bearing Crush
    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 10:14pm
I have a reground crank shaft for Allis Chalmers B- and .010 bearings. I had to reduce shim height for four out of six shim stacks in order to get the required .002 plastigaged clearance for all three bearings. The two bearings which I reduced shim height are now causing excessive friction on the crank. I measured the crank with caliper and see that the bearing that is good as-is, causing minimal drag on the crank appears to be 2.2385" journal diameter, associated shim stack is .0095" on each side, the two bearings that are excessively tight each have associated journal diameter of 2.2375" with associated shim stack of .0075" on each side. Question is, what is the correct amount to file down the bearing edge of my two tight bearings in order to have a smooth rotation of the crank without filing off too much.
Sponsored Links

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 5:59am
I use .002 crush or a measured .004 when filing using two caps as a way to check.

I would guess you have defective rods if you have a fresh ground crankshaft with matched bearings.

Here is a link to pictures I took when building an engine for my C using all in spec used parts with new bearings that needed to be filed. That was almost 10 years ago and it is still working as my main mowing tractor.

https://public.fotki.com/DickL/allis_chalmers_engi/filing-main-and-rod/
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 6:12am
I am with Dick thinking your rods need to be re-conditioned, in other words they are out of round.   Listen carefully to Dick and you will be on the right track.    They will run a little lose but they won't run tight !!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 12:28pm
I agree. You'd be way ahead to get the rods reconditioned.i don't know about them but it may be possible to have them precision ground and do away with shims. Dick would know that answer.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 18 Jun 2019 at 12:29pm
AlphaGal View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlphaGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:12pm
thank you for the replies- sorry I was not clear- I am talking about the three main bearings with the caps, two out of three are excessively tight after getting down to the .002 clearance. I haven't gotten to the rod bearings yet. Should I put my shims back as they were - then I have .002 clearance on bearing #1, .003 clearance on #2, .003 on #3 and a smoothly rotating crank without having to file down bearing shells? 

Edited by AlphaGal - 25 Jun 2019 at 10:13pm
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 1:16pm
.003 clearance will work, tight won't. I don't know how you could go from .003 to .002 by peeling a lamination off. I thought the laminations where .0025 each. 
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic