This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bear 20ft from porch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RonnieJones View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonnieJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bear 20ft from porch
    Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:07am
So this is not how I want to spend my night. I would rather be sleeping but I have mama bear, yes mom, in a tree 20ft from my porch. 2 Cubs are probably higher up. 
It's not like I can just shew her out of the tree. This is the 3rd time my dog has tree'd her in the past two weeks and he won't calm down until she is gone. I want to get some more rest :/
Thinking about getting in the truck and blowing the horn but I fear it will only make her stay longer. Last time she was there 5hrs but was early morning. This started just hour and half ago and the sun won't be up for another 6hrs atleast. 
I have had to repair two critter fences in the last week and I am just really tired lol. Illegal to shoot no matter what with out a tag. I rather not take that route at all. She is just trying to feed her soon to be annoying cubs. She isn't costing me any real money yet just a little feed every now and then. 
So if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
-

Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 7:24am
black bears love mountain dew! and you can usually coax them anywhere with a few cookies! and for what it's worth....black bears are the least aggressive of all the bear breeds. they are very curious.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 7:26am
maybe if to take sum dog poop and place it up in that tree it won't go back there? (after it leaves this time)
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 7:36am
Freind of mine to get his Coon Hound to shut up would throw a pair of cold water on him! He shut up and went back in his dog house! You could invite the bear and her Cubs in for porridge! A Black Bear Sow would be the most aggressive animal to deal with! You may have to resort to Pepper Spraying her!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:52am
 HMMmmm,,thas interesting, Ronnie,,,  Like ole Klinemar says,,I think I would try some pepper spray or better yet some "Hornet Spray" that chit will reach way on out there. Either of those two will convince her to leave and not want to come back,,,!!!! You prolly already know,,but whatever you do,,,Never let yourself or your dog come between her and her cubs,,,,,,,!!!!!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:08am
Ronn, want her and cubs gone pronto? grab a heavy object and smack that tree as hard as you can, and be ready to run. That bear and cubs will come down so fast you wonb't believe it.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:51am
She looks quite comfortable up in that tree!!  Must be settlin' in for a spell!
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:52am
Can't resist; chainsaw . . . . .
soggybottomboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:19am
Don't give them porridge. Next thing they will be sleeping in your bed.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:31am
Talk with are Confused Department of Fish and WildlifeConfused, they may be will to move her and family. But if you are getting snow is it not nap time for mamma and babies .
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:33am
Around here they really like Subaru's, I guess they can open the doors because of the way the handles are designed.  Once in, opening the door isn't so easy so they just trash the car until somebody comes by and opens the door.  Get yourself a Subaru and leave the door open, after they are in, hop in and drive them over the mountain to someone else's place.  (No advice on how to get them to sit still while you are driving, but can't be much worse then a 2 year old child....)
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonnieJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:00pm
LOL some comments are great I needed the humor. 
She tore up one of my pens. Not something I want to do first thing in the morning. Been in the low 30's- high 20's I'll have to go back out this afternoon and fix it but it's patched enough nobody will get out.
Some of you will know what a Catahoula is. Here they call them bear chasers. He has and does get in between her and her cubs. He deals with her first then the cubs. First time I have ever owned one of these breeds and he is amazing to watch. Couldn't ask for a better dog. 
I also enjoy wildlife photography and use to hunt. Now I hunt with a camera instead of a gun. My mom just retired from running campgrounds near Lake Tahoe. Bears are always a problem and every year some idiot decides to get close enough to get a good spanking from one.
Just never had to deal with them in a farm type setting. I am also off grid so any electric fences would have to be solar. Haven't seen anything worth investing in.
20 feet is way to close for me I am not anywhere near as fast as I use to be lol I need at least 50 to be comfortable.
From Thanksgiving until about Christmas is when she really harasses us. Storing up for hibernation.
Just though of something that could be fun. I bet I could set up a mine field of cans attached to string. I could totally set her up for it I think. lol no hiding now with a trail of banging cans. 
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonnieJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:08pm
Fish and game won't move them from here and besides someone worse may move in.

JohnCo lol last year she was sitting behind the steering wheel in my truck. My dog was outside looking for her. It was quit comical. I still laugh about it.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:34pm
Did you get a picture of that? Sure would have been a fun photo...

This is just a bear cub... and the tree is 15 feet in circumference. We have had an old sow in the tree for 3 days once... the two dogs wouldn't let her down... third night, I took the dogs in and 10 minutes later she was gone and didn't come back visiting for a long while.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:50pm
Yeah, after a day or two of the dogs keeping them up the tree, take the dogs inside and she will leave first chance she gets.
I like that idea of a mine field of cans.....just think of the racket that will make!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:13pm
30-06 ?? have to ask, who was first... you or her ?
dang neighbour , next road over ( 2,000 ft away ) complains about the coyotes den on his land  BUT won't let a pro get rid of them....
seriouly, if F&G won't relocate, you can with 3 slugs of lead.just be sure to bury 6 feet and cover the site. If anyone asks about them..just say..'oh yeah, she and the youngins must have moved on...'

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonnieJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:20pm
JC no I didn't it would have been a great video though.

Ted lol thats what I am thinking. I can hear it now she would wake up every dog on the mountain. If the string gets caught up in some bush I think she could easily break it. Might set out the wildlife cam for that one.

jaybmiller- She was first. Actually I think she is the offspring from the first year we were here. She is a lot more destructive. Previous owner was a dope grower so they were not here year around like we are.
F&G will remove them with slugs only if they attack people. She hasn't killed anything yet but it's annoying to see the money you spent for pens just get smashed. Nobody would even question there disappearance, only 5 of us up here year around. 4 are a mile or more away and the one above me is at least 1/4+ mile and a bit of a hermit but he also has 3 large timber wolf mix and 4 poodles. 
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonnieJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 5:40pm
Funny story I remembered about coyote's. 
A friends neighbor when I lived in TN had a problem with them killing his pigs. So he thought he was slick and poisoned one of the dead pigs to take care of the coyote's or at least reduce the population. Well it turns out he didn't think about the whole food chain. Every single scavenger that fed on that pig died. Everything from birds to possums. It turned out to be one giant mess and a whole lot stress worrying about F&G taking notice. Never did it again.
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 5:59pm
   Black Bears are some good eatin' ,, I have some recipies I can share with you,
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:22pm
I got 1 here that sleeps in the same bed as me! OK that just might be the old gal. Some times it seems like the same difference.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 6:26am
All I can say is that is  cute picture.  Sure looks healthy.

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 6:28am
I have a sign in my house that says " An Old Bear Lives Here with His Honey" !
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 6:31am
Of all the Critters in Michigan I can hunt and shoot I would not  hunt Bear. Too cold to walk around the woods Naked!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 7:11am
That would be BARE this time of the year... an it would be a might B-B-BRRRR  C-C-chillie.
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 7:34am
They like to stop and kick the tires at my place every once in a while.  As soon as we start talking price, they always leave.  Cheap sob's....:)

If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 8:21am
Originally posted by alan-nj alan-nj wrote:

They like to stop and kick the tires at my place every once in a while.  As soon as we start talking price, they always leave.  Cheap sob's....:)

must be a bear market
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 8:26am
Oof...Unhappy
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonnieJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 12:39pm
LOL

Well my wife isn't happy. While she was in the tree she pooped all over my wife's fire pit. 

Put a remote start on one of those tractors. 
There is some not much bad language here but I think it's pretty funny. 
Remote lawn mower
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H_QRy56y3Y

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 3:09pm
IH tractors in the picture. Those  must be Allis Bears!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 11:00pm
[TUBE]-H_QRy56y3Y[/TUBE]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic