This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Be Careful of Sham ... FRAUD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Be Careful of Sham ... FRAUD
    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 12:04am
Hello all,
BAD NEWS ... be aware and pass this info to friends.
I just LOST $1,000 trying to buy a Monarch 75 from a guy in Oregon.
The man’s name is: CLIF SPAIN.
It is now March 27. I sent a down payment in the amount of $1,000 on the Monarch 75 to a Clif Spain of Beaverton, Oregon 3/9/2019.
He then advised me on 3/12 he could not sell me the tractor but would return my deposit.
He has since disappeared and does not answer his telephone.
I contacted the police and showed them pics of the tractor and my money transfer. They tell me this is a scam. The theif takes a picture of a rare tractor, then contacts local tractor clubs or collectors saying he has a family tractor for sale.
THIS ACTION GIVES BUYERS CONFIDENCE .. as he is known !
I got taken because this guy had called Roger Amato at the HCEA club and Roger passed on the info believing the story about the 75.
I also talked to our local CAT club president who believed the story as well and as I am looking for a 75 ... I immediately sent the down payment. Sad!,
Anyway .... although my deal fell through, I still hope to find a 75.
If anyone knows of a 75 for sale please let me know. I can be reached at 785 456 5964.
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 10:39am
Sorry to hear of being 'Taken"... People like that need a few lessons in life taught to them... about being honest.
  Did the check go to a PO box number or to a street address?

Beaverton Oregon, that struck a familiar chord... There was a Don in that area that collected Monarch crawlers and he had bought a Neverslip and parts of another out of my state... back in 1994... Doubt that it is the same fellow...  but the town is the same place...  Ermm
  Maybe take a vacation with a few friends out that way?  an look up a cliff
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
MonarchDan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 7:35pm
I thought from talking to people who he (as part of his scam plan) had talked to and convinced he had a family tractor for sale was a good guy. So when he asked me to transfer my down payment to his Bank of America account in Beaverton, Oregon I checked with the local Bank of America and they confirmed he had a legit account in the Beaverton, OR branch.
I then transferred $1,000 to him on 3/9. On 3/12 he advised the sale was off and he would return my money but as of today he has disappeared !!! He had convinced Roger Amato at the Historical CE Association that he had a Monarch 75 and Roger said to my friend we need to save that Monarch. So, I took the bait because I’ve wanted a 75 for many years !
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 9:46am
Sad to hear! These kind can make life miserable for many, till the day they are judged.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
KRAKMT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRAKMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 10:59am
That is disappointing to hear.

Just info on another scam that we have had locally, is after the seller posts pictures, then says “ I know a person that is a transport company, use them all the time” the transport guy is another scammer and people get ripped off again.

Worth using a third party to verify the deal, maybe even people on this forum.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 11:37am
Seems a lot of SCAMS out there in using shipping where once you assign something to a shipper , you relinquish anyclaims - if and when payment is cancelled .
 Friend had it happen on a pay-pal (e-bay) transaction - but luckily for small amount 
so not Buyer Beware but also seller beware . 
 When I sold a HD5B a guy tried to beat me down on price - then gave me a deposit to hold - came back a few days later and tried to give me a check for less than balance claiming it was not worth my asking price 
 Gave him back his deposit check and told him to just leave as would not sell him anything nor deal with him again . (couple days later guy stopped - wanted the machine and delivered about 30 miles from here ) CASH sale , and cash on delivery for hauling price.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 11:26am
Dan- if you did a bank transfer to an account, then the FBI and Secret Service would be very interested in what you have to say.

Some would think that $1000 isn't enough to warrant investigation, however, this type of fraud isn't about taking your 1k, it's about a scheme where one guy takes $250 from 12,000 people who decide it's best to just let it go.

FBI because they gather domestic fraud, and Secret Service, because the perp is probably overseas.

Since you have that bank account info, please make sure the lead gets passed, they're probably on it, and need your claim to be added to his list of charges.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 5:38pm
Thanks for your comments. I very much agree with you.
I immediately went to the police as I do have all transactional info.
We know he ... or an accomplice actually went to the Bank of America at Beaverton, Oregon and was certainly captured on video.
I got a call on Friday from the detective assigned to the case and would you believe that B of A is not cooperating bc it is only $1,000 and it costs them to zero in on the video tape at a certain time which of course we know.
The police are as upset as I am
and the KS Pott County Attorney will submit a supeona this week demanding the subject video.
Kansas and Oregon police are working together but I do not expect to get the $ back .. but the scammer must be stopped !!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 3:26pm
You know, just for general purposes, I would not do business with Bank of America, or Wells Fargo.  They are so big, they don't care about anything but making more money.  Kind of like the phone company was when there was only AT&T, "We're the phone company, we don't care, we don't have too, we're the phone company!"

I do hope you get your money back and the guy gets to spend time at the cross bars ranch!

Edited by JohnCO - 22 Apr 2019 at 3:28pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 10:18am
Thanks for your comments. I am sure the
money is gone but hopefully the Kansas
District Attorney subpoena will get the police
the video of the crook.
If they catch him, ... it is worth my $1,000 !
kblackav8or View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 1:11am
I would network and see if someone can put eyes on a machine before you send money.  I have done this for a guy before regarding a Mack truck in Washington.  He was in New England somewhere.  I went with batteries and actually got it running.  Took video and lots of pictures.  He paid me a finders fee.  I told him that it was there and legit but I wasn't a party to the transaction.  Maybe consider using an escro account the next time that way the money can't be released without both agreeing.  I am willing to do this for others and I am sure others are as well. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 8:06am
I knew I was taking a chance but he had convinced
two other well known reputable men that he
owned the tractor. I didn’t want to risk losing
a tractor I had looked for, for a very long time.
Hindsight is 20/20. I have bought equipment
in many states over the years w/o problems.
Liam684 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam684 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:35am
It is sad that such people still exist. An acquaintance of my father fell for it. For him it was grief, he did not earn much and saved up for a rare tractor for a long time.

I hope by common efforts the thief will be caught!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 4:32pm
It is really sad. I could of lost more as
he asked for $2500 down.
I hope the police are actually working on it!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 5:48pm
So, is there an update to this?
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 6:26pm
Any update on this?

"I got a call on Friday from the detective assigned to the case and would you believe that B of A is not cooperating bc it is only $1,000 and it costs them to zero in on the video tape at a certain time which of course we know."

If Bank of America is not willing to cooperate, I'd think that it warrants either a refund for the check cashed, or a federal charge.  Larceny and fraud, regardless of value, is still larceny and fraud.  Being unwilling to cooperate makes them accomplice to larceny and fraud.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 8:15pm
Thanks for your comments.
I am totally frustrated bc the last time I called the detective assigned to the case here in Pottawatomie county Kansas he said the case is open but the the Beaverton, Oregon BN Police Dept has a rap sheet on the crook ( last name is SPAIN) not followed up.
This is so disgusting?
Hope you are all We
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:02am
Seems it's not just tractors or any one item . 
A motorcycle form I am on - fellow from Down Under went into transaction with someone in Nevada and did a wire transfer of $14,000 on a Triumph Hurricane  that was listed in a add. ( Well $14,000 gone and no bike and no further contact with supposed seller )
Find this Triumph Hurricane here on eBay for $37,995. Clearly, this is a lot of money for a motorcycle, but it’s unclear what the market is on Hurricanes as so few are out there. Fewer than 1,200 were sold over the entire product run – who knows how many are currently left. In 2006, a Triumph Hurricane sold for just over $30,000 on eBay in England, which was the record price at the time. When it boils down to it, a bike is worth what someone will pay for it, so only time will tell.
Triumph Hurricane - Right Side https://i1.wp.com/www.bike-urious.com/wp-content/uploads/Triumph-Hurricane-Right-Side.jpg?w=797&ssl=1

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 04 Aug 2020 at 10:04am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 3:48pm
If the Bank of America doesn't coperate, have the Fed CHARGE them as accomplices after the fact !! Or some other FEDERAL charge, money laundering, wire fraud,.. yeesh someone in the FBI or CIA or XYZ can get you satisfaction.
Man if this slimeball did this to 9 others, he's made 10,000 !...
Actually , I'd write the POTUS a single page letter, start off...
Dear Mr. President
 I know you've got a LOT on your plate these days but I'd like to tell you about my problem... then 'short and to the point' explain dates, times, Bank info, cops not caring, etc. end with,something like ... I know $1000 isn't a lot to you but it is to me and the missus, at (your age) , we have to count every nickel and dime these days so I'd appreciate a little help from you in this matter.. sincerely...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 7:03am
Bank of America SUCKS. That is one company I dearly hope never crosses my transactions ever again.

I would not use BOA money to buy a bottle of water if my teeth were on fire.

Anyway, sorry about the tractor deal, that sucks too. Personally I almost got taken on a sale of an old combine. People suck.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 8:45pm
Any more updates to this ?
Know what you mean on BOA - I had a client write me a check for $75 for mowing some of his property . A few days later i passed a BOA and figured i would cash the check , used drive up window sent check and my drivers license in - said I needed to come inside for the transaction so parked - went in to retrieve check and license - cashier had them and said there was a $15 charge for cashing check as I did not have a account there or with bank . 
 Asked for both items back , told them I would never do any business with that bank again ever. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic