This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Backhoe Torque Cnvtr Probs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backhoe Torque Cnvtr Probs
    Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 11:17am
I have a chance to buy an older AC backhoe. Not sure what #. It is 1987. Has a Pro rebuilt diesel mtr. Have been told to stay away due to transmission problems. I need some Professional AC advice. Thanks Larry
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 11:24am
hard to say what it is unless one knows more information. Transmission, torque converter, and reversing unit are all different parts of driveline.  Also engine type whatever a Pro rebuild is would have a bearing on advice.
 Size of machine would also have a say in any decisions.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Larweb View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 11:49am
Thanks for the reply. The engine was rebuilt by a mechanic at a local tractor dealership. It is a 4cyl diesel. Overall the machine looks fair. It's not a rust bucket. The current owner said everything worked. He burned up the starter the day before I got there so I couldn't hear it run. I am not completing anything until that happens. I was just sharing with another backhoe mechanic and he passed on the "no buy" advice so I thought I would check with theAC guys.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 1:56pm
What modle ? gas or diesel ? if a AC715 then is sound machine IF ?
Depends again on asking price and how worn the bushings are. If holes are worn oblong it will cost some $$ to get welded up and rebored.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Larweb View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 6:01pm
It is a 715b with a diesel engine. It has 2 buckets for the backhoe and niether are currently installed. It has a cab but the previous owner took it off because most of the glass was broken. Are you aware of any issues with this unit in general?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 6:19pm
Nope except that if hyd pump does not have update kit to support the engine mounted pump , it can crack the front cover on the Perkins engine. Brace from pump body to bellhousing or other such mount reinforcement on Perkins 236 engine 
 There are several posts on the 715B machines on here of late.  The fwd/rev clutch pack is a area that does need service over machine life. As any clutch they wear or need adjustment . In 7,000 hrs mine has had 2 put in , one at 1,500 hrs and second one at 7,000
 As I hada crooked dealers shop Carlson Tractor in Rosemont MN put in 2nd and they screwed it up and cost me a fortune to do the job, let alone it failed after 40 hours I now need to put in a 3rd repair .

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 03 Apr 2011 at 6:25pm
Larweb View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 7:40pm
Thank You!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic