This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Backhoe on tl16 loader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adirondack Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backhoe on tl16 loader
    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 10:08pm
I recently came across a backhoe for sale off of a parted out older jd 410. The price is doable, however would the fab work be worth it. I'm able do cut and weld and own all tools necessary to stab a backhoe on the back of my tl16 loader. Would I be better off selling the loader to purchase an older turn key backhoe .

Sponsored Links

NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:29am
does it use cylinders for the swing ?
HD3
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 4:45am
First question, for me would be, Are the hydraulic systems compatible?  No sense cobbling up a lot of steel, then to find out it moves real slow, real fast, or not at all.  Get the specs for both your loader, and the new hoe...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Adirondack Al View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adirondack Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 4:27pm
Yes it does
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 6:43pm
go fer it
HD3
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 10:10pm
If your work and the cost of the steel etc is worth it, that may be one issue and Allis did offer a backhoe as an option on the TL 16 but what type of digging will you be doing?? I find with most backhoe work there is plenty of movement needed of the machine itself to the spot and direction to make progress with your work. Picture how often you have to climb off the hoe and climb up to the cab to move the rig. Yes you can make some movement by pushing yourself around with the hoe but a TL16 isn't exactly light. Having run backhoes for decades I still find manoeuvering an excavator on the other hand is far more convenient and quick versus a backhoe where you turn the seat around, so beyond that with the TL16 you will leave the seat of the hoe attachment, walk 15 feet, climb up and into the cab, that is good exercise but time-consuming. Now if you're digging out a stump or digging for a septic tank you will maybe manage with minimal movement to accomplish your task. For myself I would probably choose a conventional backhoe rather than the TL16 add-on. If you do put it on please post some pictures it would be fun to see, thanks. 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 6:23am
Just because a project is 'do-able' doesn't mean you should do it. The older I get (66 now) the more I question before doing 'stuff'.
What's the real cost of the project ? Materials AND labour? Say you put in a week(40 hours) to make. Even at $25/hr that's $1000 cold hard, after taxes cash. Also that's a WEEK you haven't been doing something else( maybe MAKING money ).
et's say you get it for $1K and $1K for your time, $500 for materials. There's $2500.
Now what real jobs will it do for you ? How long will they take ?
Up here $2500 will rent you a miniexcavator for 2 weeks. The 'trick' is to use it as many hours every day ! If you rent for a day (24hrs) put at least 12-14 hrs on it ! Heck 2 guys can run one round the clock, get the jobs DONE, fairly cheaply.
Have to admit a miniex  is easier to run/faster than a TLB...nature of the beast, so plan to work smarter not harder. The older we get, the less time we have.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Adirondack Al View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adirondack Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:40pm
Very good points. I think I will leave the old loader alone and use it as intended. As far as digging needs go I will take advice and rent an excavator for projects as needed

Edited by Adirondack Al - 11 Dec 2019 at 9:41pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 6:40am
gee, someone listened to me !!!!Tongue That's really nice to hear!  I can't stop myself from offering advice, especially if I've done it before I do get 'upset' when say a 'contractor' doesn't heed my suggestions based on my real life experiences.
Currently trying to get one family member to SAVE 2500 rare, limited Canucks by having another build a 'bunkie' instead of a pro company doing it.
Amazes me how many lead balloons I can fly up here......

BTW , the RUSSIANS left the door open, not me !! 15*F up here..brrrrr
Jay

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 1:32pm
When someone from North of the 49th gives a temp or distance you have to wonder in which language thay are talking - the Oueens English , Imperial , Witworth , Metric , Inches or Centimeters - Miles of Kelomiters - and if they are to far East is it Liberal Speak or Wstern Common Sence .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 1:37pm
NORMAL numbers !!It's what I grew up with.... sigh, here's a really good example of how skkrewd up Canada is...

we're 'Metric', have been for decades, the temp is in degrees C, distance in kilometers, etc.
YET
whenever there's a newsbroadcast with cops looking for 'bad guys', it's male, 6'2", 200 pounds......

sigh.....
I just shrug my shoulders.. and carry on.

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 5:06pm
Well, depends on IF you really need a hoe, and how much work you will use it! --- Now for me ,--- I would build the thing just because everybody said that I couldnt do it!
20 some years I made my own excavator and it still is in use today!
Mount that sucker!!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic