This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B steel wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B steel wheels
    Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 7:56pm
I looked at this 38 B today. He has a full set of steel wheels, the fronts are not mounted. The front end is an arched adjustable. Hand crank, hand brakes. He says it runs but the magneto is on a shelf in his barn. Sheet metal is rough. He's asking $750 but nobody else has even come to look at it so he's willing to deal. Is there anything rare or special about this tractor? I tried to talk him out of the wheels and give him mine to keep his rolling but he wants to sell it all.

Sponsored Links

morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 8:01pm
I'd go for it. The rear wheels are the special 5 bolt style (if I'm seeing correctly?) and it has the arched adjustable. I was under the impression that only the War B's came with steel though...Also does not have the steel style wide fenders. But at 750 I still think its a good buy.
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 8:04pm
If it were anywhere close to me, it would be home already.  The arched adjustable was a rare front end, can't remember but someone will say what years they were produced.   And the full set of steel is worth some money too.   Maybe it was a texas amish farmer that needed steel wheels!!
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 8:06pm
The last decent set of steel fronts sold on Ebay for over a grand. The adjustable front end is highly sought after as well. If you pay the $750, save the wheels and front axle, and give the rest away you'll do just fine.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 8:19pm
Nah send them up here to Lancaster County, I have quite a few people who could use them! LOL
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 8:28pm
really?, $750 for a full set of steel?

It's not at your place yet? What the heck were you thinking? That's money in the bank.

What's the serial#?

Edited by GlenninPA - 21 Oct 2010 at 8:29pm
Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 8:31pm
You better go grab that one up Ed.
1954 WD45 NF "Iron Tater"
Ed in TX View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 8:37pm
I'm thinking my weekend might be spent picking up a tractor. Now if I can talk the wife into letting me sell the WD45LP her dad gave me I could afford to keep this little tractor.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 8:45pm
I wouldn't do that though....
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 8:52pm
I do not understand giving up any tractor. The idea is to COLLECT them, not trade them.  If you want to RE-STORE them, just move them to a different place.

Don't get rid of them.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 9:09pm
Ed, you're looking at this wrong......you NEED that B!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 9:34pm
Ed: You are kidding us right?
clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 11:17pm
Wow...I'd love to have that B.
Ed in TX View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 2:02pm
Bought it. B8151. I'll get some pictures up later. I gotta go cook links and turkey legs for tonight's football game. No, I wasn't kidding. I'm still a tractor rookie. My b is a 1941 so I think these wheels are correct for that year. I haven't decided what I'll do with the rest of the tractor yet.

Edited by Ed in TX - 22 Oct 2010 at 2:05pm
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 2:09pm
Ed,  GREAT BUY!!! The wheels and the front axle are worth your price.  Also, you get my favorate - the B.  Don't throw the tractor away.  They are relatively easy to work on and with the steel and special adjustable axle will be a great show piece. 
B 8151 would be a 1938.
Let us know how it goes.  SAVE THAT B!!!
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 2:14pm

Listen to Glenn. He gives good information. He's got Tractors and Tractor parts in six states stored!!  LMAO!!  Even at my house to!!  LOL!

Steve@B&B

GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 8:19am
Good for you, Ed. If you'd have let that one get away you'd have had our Forum privileges cut off for amonth! LOL You did very well with that tractor, congrats.
Ed in TX View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 8:57am
As usual, the deal changed when I showed up with the cash. The magneto that was supposed to be on the shelf wasn't on the shelf. He remembered that he had taken it to get rebuilt and had the work order to pick it up. It has $280 owed on it. One of the rear wheels has some rust damage but I think it can be repaired. All I brought home with me was a bill of sale and 2 front wheels. Hopefully hauling the tractor Sunday.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 9:15am

you still did good... i dont think those steel wheels came on that tractor.. the fenders are wrong.. unless it was some special order think in 38 ?

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
GreenOrange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenOrange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 9:24am
Fantastic Deal!!!  The steel wheels wouldn't have come on that tractor, but were easy enough to add later and still look nice.
Ed in TX View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 9:47am
I have a 1941 B that I plan to use the steel wheels for. It has electric and foot brakes. I'd like some info on that adjustable arched if anyone knows. If it was available in 1941 it's going on that tractor also.
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 11:44am
That arched axle is for '38 and '39, they went to the straight adjustable one in 1940....
ACEd2010 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACEd2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 11:46am
I would restore it - the 38's were unique in a lot of ways - not as much as the few 37's - but to my mind worth keeping intact, especially the early Adj WF - Take the steels for your 41 and put the rubber back on this one.
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 12:26pm
Ed, if you didn't get the caps for the front wheels, ask to see if he has them. That will save you some serious searching down the road. You still did great. Whatever you decide to do, it's good to know it will be saved in some fashion.
Darrell, Jr. (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell, Jr. (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 1:56pm
Glenn has it right about the front axle, just on the early B's, and I have heard only around 200 made but no one seems to know for sure.  All I know is I have never taken mine to a show and seen another there at the same time.  Mine came from TX as well, but they seem to show up just about any where.  ACEd2010 gives some good advice, put the steel on the '41 and restore the '38 with rubber.  I don't have a picture on mine right at the moment so I can't show you what the fenders and rear centers should like for the steel wheeled tractors, but I'm sure someone can post some
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 9:16pm
steve

you too????  i thought i had the new jersey market cornered on storage for glenn...!!!!  alan
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 10:00pm
well heres acouple pictures of a B that had steel when new. note the wider fenders, & the hubs are like twice as thick as the regular B's with 4 notches instead of 2 notches like around the valve stem. also the steel B's had a taller air cleaner which this one in picture don't have.this picture is my other war model( 2nd from end) on steel with cut off front steel
Ed in TX View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 1:08pm
These caps are on the wheels that are on the tractor. Are they the same?

1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 10:18pm
those caps are not the same as the ones on the steel wheels. I don't know if they would fit. they might , the ones on the steel wheels are kind of rounded triangler shape. I believe the one in the picture is off a 1938 B with cast centers & rubber tires.
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 8:06pm
They may work, Ed, but the originals were cast iron per the pic below.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic