This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B restoration (24 January 16) Purists Beware!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B restoration (24 January 16) Purists Beware!
    Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 3:34pm
Well, I know many have seen tons of B's restored, but I thought I'd chronicle my endeavor.  This is my first B.  It's already in pieces, so that's how we start.  I got the engine magnafluxed, the crank turned, the head shaved.  Got the engine rebuild components and have begun working on assembly.  Here we go!

Edited by Hubnut - 24 Jan 2016 at 6:21pm
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Sponsored Links

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 3:53pm
I don't think anyone minds seeing pictures of another B saved.  We like pictures!  Looks great!Thumbs Up
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 5:18pm
Looks as if you are doing it right. Should be a gem when completed.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 5:20pm
Keep the pictures coming. I love to see progress.

On another note! I would like to spend a week in your shop working on stuff. It would then look like a work shop rather than a movie set.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

Keep the pictures coming. I love to see progress.

On another note! I would like to spend a week in your shop working on stuff. It would then look like a work shop rather than a movie set.

Oh Dick!  Trust me, it gets dirty.  Really I'm kind of a neat freak.  I am short on space too, so I need to keep things tidy for the space. 
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 9:26pm
Dick you are right about a movie set.
I don't think my workbench was ever that clean. How do you find anything?
Bob
4 B's, 1 C's,3 CA's, 2 G's WD, D14, D15, B-1, B10, B12, 712S,
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 9:29pm
Thank you for taking on the challenge of restoring a B.  Surely looks like you are going about it in a right manner.  Wish I could be of some assistance but I am well beyond that.  However, I will cheer from the sidelines to see another of my favorites brought back to life.
Thanks again for saving another B.
Love to view progress pictures.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 12:23am
I have a few of those shed roof additions like in the first pic! I too like seeing pics...keep them coming! oh...and I should work in your shop too, maybe Dick and I could really give you something to do after we're done! lol
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 5:27am
I'm always right there lookin' at progress pics. Love them progress pics, especially of any kind of B, C, or CA's! The B's are my favorites to just like my pal Bill!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 5:28am
Thanks Shameless.  I'm sure you and Dick could make it look less "like a movie set" and more like a shop.  As I've said before, I finally got enough money together to build a shop on my little property--so, the shop is about a year old.  That's why everything looks so new. 
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 5:30am
Thanks Bill and Stevo.  Sometimes I wonder if it's worth posting the pics.  Everyone has seen the same resto over and over! :)
skeeters65 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeters65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 7:11am
Did some B's come in that orange and white paint combo like the one in the first pic or is that your own flavor?
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 7:54am
Steve
   That tool box and that foot rest on your workbench look familiar. The bearing retainer does too.    Kenny

Edited by Ken in Texas - 09 Oct 2015 at 7:55am
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 7:57am
Kenny,
Thanks for the parts.  Always top quality at a good price.  I need more things, so will be in touch.  Steve
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 8:01am
Originally posted by skeeters65 skeeters65 wrote:

Did some B's come in that orange and white paint combo like the one in the first pic or is that your own flavor?

It's a C that I painted my own way.  Not a purist's dream, but I like it.  The restoration is seen here:  http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102874&KW=&title=my-c-restoration-update-29-aug-15
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 8:05am
Steve,
 I think most of us like to visually see the progression of good work. And I do mean work. Behind the scenes Steve is spending endless hours fighting rusty bolts, boogered up threads and gobs of oil, grease and dirt not to mention rust! Just to provide us with these awesome shots of his next orange project.  Yea these shots make it look easy! You really have to love the process to Get it Done! The transformation seems to take a long time for the restorer. But its well worth it! The "B" is looking great! Nice shop!
Thanks Steve!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 09 Oct 2015 at 7:26pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 8:32am
Chris,
I know you KNOW the effort into these "restorations."  Your work is outstanding!  I need to start taking pics when I'm grimy and before I take things apart!  I love to see things made fresh again. 
Thanks for the encouragement!  I'm off to look at a CA now Confused.
Steve
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 8:56am
Steve
   We have a CA NF here at the farm with new tires that needs a new home.   You can take it home with you when you come to visit Henderson in November. I will send some pics if your interested.    Kenny
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 9:15am
Hubnut,

There are never too many pictures of a B restoration underway. Please keep 'em coming as you continue your work. Maybe because I have five B's waiting for me to finish the D-14 in the shop, you efforts make me feel less guilty.

Bob@allisdowneast
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
skeeters65 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeters65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

It's a C that I painted my own way.  Not a purist's dream, but I like it.  The restoration is seen here:  http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102874&KW=&title=my-c-restoration-update-29-aug-15

It's different and I like it! Let the purists squirm. I havent posted any pics of the B I'm working on cause the purists would have a seizure.
Maybe one day.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 4:06pm

Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

It's different and I like it! Let the purists squirm. I havent posted any pics of the B I'm working on cause the purists would have a seizure.
Maybe one day.

That is the reason I never clamed to restore a tractor. My mind will not let me not take liberties on anything I am repairing. My what if takes over.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 4:35pm
Steve,
You can bet your bippy its worth postin' pics!! Gives everybody a chance to see the resto in action. Also, gives extra idea's to folks who like "different" like me for example! You just keep postin' them pics buddy. We'll tell you when we're not interested anymore.... NOT!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 7:13pm
Thanks guys.  I do have one important question.  Why is the last bolt ALWAYS the hardest to get out, shear off, remain stuck, break a bit off in, ad nauseum?????

Edited by Hubnut - 09 Oct 2015 at 8:35pm
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 7:34pm
Steve,
These projects test us in many ways! Getting that broken bolt out then becomes the mini project and on it goes!
What projects do you have lined up for your tractors? I have been hauling the log splitter with one WD and the trailer for the wood with the other.  Two more cord to split at my daughters. Feels good to work the old Allis' a little.
Almost thinking the one rusty WD, which is really my best mechanical tractor could use a face lift too:)
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 11:17pm
Hubnut,
I like the C restoration you did. I don't mind at all a tractor that is not painted like it came from the factory. When I go to a car show many of them are not painted like they came from the factory. I think someday we will see more "custom tractors" where people paint them different. I know some don't like that. But I do. Some of the pullers you see around do paint with a custom paint job.
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 6:18am
Chris,
Funny you should ask.  I have a go-getter niece (like your firewood-hauling daughter) that just bought acreage in Georgia.  I gave her a C with mower deck and she's already started doing jobs on the side with it.  I will also give her one of the Bs I have with a 3 point for various implements--box blade, etc.  The others are simply garage queens that I am collecting.  I was hoping to finish the B, then move on to a CA.  I had a nice WC that I restored, but stupidly, I sold it. 
Steve
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 6:19am
ACguy,  Thank you sir!  To each his own.  Some like the modification, some don't.  But, I've found that most here appreciate the hard work that goes into "restoration."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 7:38am
What paint procedure are you using on the B. The block painting looks like what the industry calls direct to metal.
That is the way Allis painted Bs. No Primer.
The two I have done I did rather unconventionally. The CA chassis just got a good degreasing and a brushed coat of Alkyd Enamel Orange followed by a sprayed coat of PPG OMNI AU Persian Orange 60080. The sheet metal parts got a good sanding by hand to smooth the old paint and all that don't show got coat of Alkyd Enamel orange. What showed got a little body work (Rage) and primer surfacer. Sanded real smooth and top coated with PPG. It still looks great as a pull tractor but not a show queen. Old Alkyd paint was good on the CA just faded
The 38 B I painted was not mine. Gary A brought it to me wire wheeled and sandblasted and rattle can primed with red oxide Rustoleum . The Chassis got brushed again with Orange Alkyd Enamel and top coated with PPG OMNI AU 60080.
Sheet Metal. Any body work was done before Gary primed the sheet metal with rustoleum sprayed on. It got sanded smooth and finished with PPG OMNI 60080. It is a show tractor and looks great after 5 years.
I'm pretty sure Gary did his IB like we did the 38B and it is a super nice show tractor 4 years later.
After assembly the nuts, bolts ad screws were touched up with a small artist brush with PPG.
Let me add this, I do not approve or endorse my painting methods. I do however approve of using PPG OMNI AU PO#1 60080 as the proper "restoration" finish color on ACs prior to 1960, Makes no sense to go cheap on what everyone sees first.

Edited by Ken in Texas - 10 Oct 2015 at 7:56am
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 5:39pm
Made a very little progress.  I got the tranny apart, cleaned, new seals, bearings fine, gears great, and painted her up.  Best tranny I've seen so far.  I also got the sheet metal sandblasted and primed.  The fuel tank had a good number of pinholes in it.  I JB welded the holes, then lined the tank with RedKote.  Seems to be okay. 

Wdtractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 8:08pm
I have to say I really enjoy your post, but b's and c's are my favorite. I have to also say I can tell we not in the same tax bracket lol. I don't have near the funds or time to do the compleat tear down and rebuilt and expect to have it done in the next few years lol. Witch it would help if I'd limit my projects to one or two instead of a dozen or so lol. You do great work keep it up!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic