This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"B" Questions and Ideas? (plus pics)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "B" Questions and Ideas? (plus pics)
    Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 10:01pm
First off I just want to let you all know that the "B" that I acquired this spring is still running good and is fairly trouble free. I have been fixing little things as time permits, and I use it for everything possible. I never knew it would be so nimble and handy. But I have a couple questions/ideas. First off, where am I suppose to store the hand crank on a electric start tractor like this? Or was there never a designated spot after the battery took it's place? Second, where is a good place to fasten an extra tool box? Not that I need it, but I think it would be a welcome addition. Since this B is a 1955 it has the CA style torque tube. What are you guys thoughts on fasting the tool box on the RH side of the torque with these two bolts?

I am still thinking about the addition of a pioneer coupler to aid with running the hay rake. Time will tell, and pictures will follow. But here are a couple photos that I have took and not yet posted on here.

Here it is pulling the few pumpkins that grew this year.

Here is at our local fair in the tractor games.

I just wanted to take a picture this day.

Edited by R.W - 07 Oct 2012 at 10:02pm
Sponsored Links

Murph-NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 10:12pm
Not sure about the crank storage, but here's a good thread on toolboxes... http://allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44201 
'41 C w/Woods L503 mower, #3 mower, 2-way plows for C
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 10:26pm
Dad always tucked the crank in behind the seat shock on the platform(1951 CA). I found out it hangs very nicely in the steering support bracket in front of the toolbox. Since you don't have either, maybe hang it on the wall of the barn like a lot of farmers did.LOL
Classic picture.....
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb404/Randy_Walker/My%20Tractors/0924121447a.jpg

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 08 Oct 2012 at 1:01pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 10:45pm
My '52 B has 2 pieces that bolt onto the torque tube where you mentioned about putting a tool box. A previous owner took 2 pieces of what look like 90 degree angle iron, placed them vertically, then drilled a hole with a notch on either end (IE The shape of the hand crank end, much like you'd find on the radiator support) and bolted them to the torque tube. This is where the hand crank sits. Unfortunately I don't have a pic.
George Davenport View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Davenport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 10:51am
That B pulling the pumpkins is just in season and would be a picture for a calendar!
Life is what happens while you are making plans for the future
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 3:43pm
I mounted a tool box on the seat back supports.. size of box is same as box of my d/14.
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 6:52pm
I have found that if you completely empty the factory toolbox, and hold your mouth right, the crank will fit inside with the handle toward the bottom rear.  Of course, then the battery always goes dead when you have three screwdrivers, two adjustable wrenches, a pair of pliers, two hitch pins, an oil can and a rag in the way... ;-)
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 7:04pm
I think when Allis put electric on the B the must have thought you would not need the crank, especially in the later years when they went to battery ignition.
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 7:11pm
I just did this with my crank.  I drilled a hole in it in the right place after I stuck it through the hole, just short of the pulley. Put a washer on and then put a cotter key through it. Won't fall out now.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 7:20pm
Hee hee... yep, awesome picture!!!! And this answered another question that has been perplexing me for a long time...

My '48 B is electric start, with magneto... non-adjustable front end, but 5-lug rearend with wheels just like yours. The combination of wheels has always perplexed me, because every other reference I'd gotten, indicated that they were wrong wheels... now I know that mine is not alone...

BTW... I store the crank for my '48... on my '38 hand-start. Works great!!!
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by BrettPhillips BrettPhillips wrote:

I have found that if you completely empty the factory toolbox, and hold your mouth right, the crank will fit inside with the handle toward the bottom rear.  Of course, then the battery always goes dead when you have three screwdrivers, two adjustable wrenches, a pair of pliers, two hitch pins, an oil can and a rag in the way... ;-)

Brett, you forgot the 3 gallon mouse nest that holds it all togetherBig smile
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Krazy Karl View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 11:41pm
On my C there is a couple hanging brackets on the left outside fender where the crank goes.
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 9:06pm
Thanks for the comments and ideas.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 9:36pm
Brett, Charlie, You are both right.  Yes, when they came new from the factory the crank along with the standard tools were in the tool box.  I tried for years to get it back in and ended up thinking that the put the crank in then mounted the sides on the box. 
Yes, the crank will fit there but the box must be empty and you need patience.
Nice looking B. 
Take good care of my favorite.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic