This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B Oil filter change- Decreased pressure on gauge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GfdMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B Oil filter change- Decreased pressure on gauge
    Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 6:37pm
Hey guys, 

I just swapped my oil filter out on my "B" and I noticed that when I fired her back up, the oil pressure was reading about 5 psi. 

I read in the manual that it may drop until the filter is completely filled. 

Is this a common happening? Is there anything else besides letting it run that may help? And how long does it typically take if this is all that needs to be done? 

Thank you, 
Matt

Edited by GfdMatt - 18 Aug 2019 at 6:42pm
Sponsored Links

GfdMatt View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GfdMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:12pm
A quick follow up- the gauge is sitting around 5psi whether the engine is running, or not. Everything worked appropriately prior to the filter swap.

Any help is appreciated. 

Thank you. 
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:23pm
Okay, 'fess up. Which oil filter did you install?
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:40pm
Check the oil filter stand pipe it might have been pushed down as you installed the filter.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:43pm
Is the element tube still in place? Gauge could be suspect, do you have another gauge to try?
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:15am
This happened on one of my 45's this summer when I changed oil. Didn't take very long and was back to normal. Let it run a while and see what happens.
GfdMatt View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GfdMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 11:59am
I let the tractor run for a bit, still no luck on the gauge. It is just sitting at 5 psi- running or not. 

The filter that I used is a NAPA 7011 

The filter that I took off was a C159 filter, not sure of the brand. 

The two look exactly the same. Once I get home though, I will have to check on that element tube. Is that something that can easily get displaced by taking a filter on/off? 

Thanks! 

Edited by GfdMatt - 23 Aug 2019 at 11:59am
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 12:23pm
The C159 may have been a Fram. As long as you have some oil pressure there's nothing to worry about.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 12:26pm
If it is still there read what Don(MO) says in his posting above.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
GfdMatt View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GfdMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 12:37pm
Copy, thanks fellas. I did not see Don's message before, but do now. Will advise. 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 5:08pm
... 5 psi running or not ...
hmm, gauge is busted, so really ZERO oil pressure ?
I'd replace guage..something like 15PSI should do .
I've only used Fram C159 in my tractors...
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 5:56pm
Good catch Jay. Thumbs Up
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 6:26pm
thanks..
I screwed in a 15PSI gauge into the D-14s 'port' 10 years ago, one day (on the 'list'....) I'l replumb the real one...... one day.....

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 9:08pm
The filter on a B is not a full flow. It is a BYPASS filter. The internal media is packed cotton for a given resistance to flow. You should get about 80% of the oil BYPASSING the filter and 20% going THRU the filter.... When the filter gets old and partly plugged, it will flow LESS so you might have 15% going THRU the filter and 85% BYPASSING it... With a larger percentage going to the system, it should show slightly higher pressure.. So a NEW filter is nothing to worry about as long as you have over 5 psi pressure.. I would hope to have 10 PSI at full throttle.. ( best condition is about 15 psi) .  The tube in the center of the filter has a small hole or two at the top. That lets the oil INTO the filter. If the hole is TOO BIG then you get too much flow thru the filter and probably LOWER pressure reading.. If the tube is pushed DOWN into the flow path it can cut off flow INTO the filter and then the pressure reading might be  HIGHER...........

If the gauge reads 5 psi all the time, then it is broken or plugged on the inlet orifice.. Pull gauge and check......

If you had 10 w 40 oil in the system and you replaced with 10w 30, then the thinner oil MIGHT give a couple less psi.

Edited by steve(ill) - 23 Aug 2019 at 9:10pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 8:33am
Originally posted by GfdMatt GfdMatt wrote:

Copy, thanks fellas. I did not see Don's message before, but do now. Will advise. 
Like I said before "  the oil filter stand pipe it might have been pushed down as you installed the filter " if the pipe is down to far it will close-off the oil gauge port in the housing and hold your 5 psi even with the engine off. If you remove the gauge see if it go's back to "0" afterwards.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic