This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B gov surge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B gov surge
    Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 6:47am
ANyone know how to make a B idle smooth? I rebuilt the motor and it runs good, but the gov wont quit hunting. Anti surge spring is installed, gov adjusted for preload per I&T service manual, new condenser, coil in mag, points filed and set to proper gab. carb cleaned out with fresh gas. I need to check the gas cap vent but after that I am stuck. I am going to try to post a vid in the next couple of days.
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Sponsored Links

Matt MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 7:20am
Do you have the Small spring that goes on the throttle shaft and up to one of the manifold bolts?
Unless your are the lead horse the scenery never changes!!
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 8:08am

Yup, thats the surge spring, its on there.

Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Chuck(ONT) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck(ONT) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 8:27am
Is the carb sucking air through the shaft?
Never take life too seriously.

Nobody gets out alive anyway!

1C 1 WD45 1 AC180
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 8:30am
Seems like this was a topic this winter.How much slop in joints? Wasn't the cure throttle shaft seal?Have seen those seals pinch shaft under vacuum with lip out(like its supposed to be) and for linkage adj can't remember exactly how that was but I know you have more faith in I&T than me.
Texas B View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:37am
Where can a surge spring be aquired?

How important is the oil line going to the gov?
Texas B 39
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:38am
Could be there is a blockage in the idle circuit of the carburetor.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 6:24am
[TUBE]m4xOsvn7caw[/TUBE]
An update.......I shot this last night.....What do you guys think? I am going to be getting back into the carb?

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:18am
Don, my B does EXACTLY the same thing and I haven't been able to solve either-so interested to find out what fixs yours.  I have the gov spring too, it helped, but did not fix.
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 11:45am
I would look at three areas (in the following order):
1. Try running it without the air cleaner, if it levels out, clean the air cleaner. 
2. Check out the fuel delivery system; 1st pull the sediment bowl and empty it, replace and open the valve, if fuel just drips in, clean/replace the screen. Then pull carb and thoroughly clean all the little passages with a fine wire, brake cleaner (in a can using the small plastic tube to blow it thru the passages), and compressed air. Be sure both float "ears" are level, the float is set properly, and the throttle and choke shaft seals are snug.
3. Check the distributor advance spring. Twist the rotor cap, it should spring back when released
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Bee View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 12:52pm
You may want to search some posts by Dick L, I believe he has touched on this issue in the past. 
Bob, North Carolina

1949 B
Matt MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 1:01pm
I noticed that you have the Anti-surge spring pulling down to what looks like the generator mount. I believe it is suposed to be pulling upward and then hooks to the top manifold stud in front of the carb.

Might be something to check.

Here is a picture out of the manual,

Edited by Matt MN - 27 Apr 2011 at 2:17pm
Unless your are the lead horse the scenery never changes!!
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 1:38pm
Several stated things can cause a surge however the most common is that the governor cross over arm is out of adjustment. The adjustment is made by bending the cross over arm to where the linkage connection up by the radiator is out of alignment by about 1/16". Most will say to do it with a wide open throttle.  That works just as well as the way I tell people to make the adjustment with the throttle closed. I only say throttle closed to help the person doing the adjustment to understand the reason for the 1/16" offset in the connection.
This is why. The governor is an RPM limiter or RPM evener controlled by the spinning weights in the governor.  The spinning weights close the carburetor butterfly and can only be opened with pressure put on the governor spring by the throttle lever.  With the engine at idle you need to have the 1/16" pressure to hold the throttle butterfly lever back against the stop screw on the back of the carburetor. The governor is to hold back unwanted RPM's and to maintain wanted RPM's not to add RPM's

When adjusting with the throttle closed and the linkage pushed back against the stop screw you can easily see that you are adjusting the cross over arm so it will be pushing back on the linkage and not lifting it off the stop screw.

The will work dead nuts on as well or a little less that the 1/16" It will also work with more push back than the 1/16" but will lessen the top RPM's

My point is that once you have how it works and the reason why in your mind you will never have that question again.

I have several of this type of engines in running tractors and only have one with a surge spring and do not have surge problems that I don't want.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 6:40pm
You have done my favoate proud.  That is one neat B. Love to hear them run. 
Wish I could be some help on your "problem" but it sounds like you are getting some outstanding advice.  Just remember you are working with at least a laast a 56 year old tractor.  Even though it is running very well there are little things that can have happened to it that could be causing the problem.
Thanks for taking such good care of my favorate.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
pumpkin man View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pumpkin man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 8:42pm
  you dont have right surg spring plus its not hooked up right . the spring you  have looks to heavy its fighting the govener try taking it off and see how it runs the govener should stop hunting.
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:07pm
I have 2 running CAs right now and neither have the spring. Only time I get surge is momentarily on cold start up. After that they run smooth. I would adjust per Dick L instructions.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 6:06am
I will do some more testing tonight, thanks for all of the help. Broke a tooth so I have to stop by the dentist first

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
JR Maley View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR Maley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 8:45am
THIS  FIXED IT FOR ME:

Mine was doing the same thing.  I thought through the myriad of possibilities that could be causing it like vacuum leak, bad idle circuit, slop in the linkage, internal governor problems, worn governor springs, ignition condenser, point gap, etc.  The first thing I did was replace the condenser and spark plugs, but that made no difference.  My next step was to rebuild the carb.  

I was also brainstorming what I could do the surely nip this problem in the butt.  I am a mechanical engineer and I know all to well the tenancy for feedback control loops just like this governor to have a "critical frequency" were a harmonic occurs.  Ever seen a car with busted shocks going down a concrete highway bouncing all over the place just from the little gaps between the slabs?  Well that what happening with the governor.

A system like this is considered a mass-spring-damper system.  Well the governor we have is basically just a mass-spring system with no damper to eliminate harmonics (the "hunting").  So I decided to ad a damper to the carb when I rebuilt it.

I bought a cheapo oil filled RC car shock and fashioned a mount for it that is mounted on one end between the fuel needle assembly and the float bowl.  On the other end I drilled and tapped a second hole in the throttle lever to attach it.  I did all this at the same time I rebuilt the carb.  When installed on the tractor it is all hidden behind the carb so you can't tell its there.  The damper can be adjusted in two ways.  You can do an initial adjustment just by deciding where on the throttle arm you drill and tap the hole.  After that you can always adjust it by changing the weight of oil in the little shock.  
I'll try to get some pics up of the retrofit.  I haven't had a problem with "hunting" ever since.  Also, the idea behind tuning the damper is to have as little resistance (faster governor response) as possible while still having enough to combat the "hunting".  It may seem like a jerry rigged fix, but these B's especially early ones like mine are commonly having governor "hunting" issues.  In my opinion there should have been a damper installed from the factory.

Edited by JR Maley - 28 Apr 2011 at 10:13am
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 9:04am
There's one fundamental cause of and engine surging not yet been mentioned. That's a mistuned carburetor. The book settings on a vintage carburetor aren't set in blood, they are only close enough to get the engine to run so it can be adjusted and having cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor what was right isn't now.

When the idle circuit is too far from the right mixture and the throttle gets closed by the governor, the engine practically dies so the governor opens the throttle and the main jet feeds fuel so the engine picks up speed getting up to the speed set by the governor and spring so the governor closes the throttle. The fix can be as simple as proper adjustment of the idle circuit. Often that is an air adjustment.

The governor works hard at hiding the effects of carburetor adjustments. It works best to override the governor and to hold the throttle closed against the idle speed stop screw. Then adjust the idle mix for the fastest engine speed. Then manually open the throttle at the carburetor and at some large opening set the main jet if adjustable. Alternatively if it wasn't surging you could watch the throttle position and adjust the idle mix with the speed set slow and adjust the idle mix for minimum throttle opening then go to high speed and again adjust for minimum throttle opening as the governor does its work. The adjustments interact so you have to go back and forth a few times.

One more check is to open the throttle rapidly and see if the engine speeds up without stumbling. If it doesn't, you need to run the main mix richer, or adjust the float to have more fuel in the float bowl, then do the mix adjustments all over. I have found that when plowing I get more power with the main (or power) jet running rich.

Surging can come from any of the exotics already posted, or simply a need for proper carburetor tuning.

Gerald J.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 10:35am

From the start of the B, and C's thru the 1940's,   were shipped with Zenith non adjustable main jets. The only adjustments for the carburetor was the idle mixture screw and the throttle butterfly stop screw.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 11:35am
It is the wrong spring, its actually a D14 spring I had around the shop, I put that on there for a test...didnt make a difference. I am going to put the B one back on. I going to try some of your guy's suggestions and see if any pan out

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
boilerrepairman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boilerrepairman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 10:41am
Ok, My 1938 B didn't have any throttle. You had to have the throttle lever at 7/8 of the way forward to get the engine to speed up a bit. So i found this topic and read it and tried Dick L's set up. I am not sure but think something right here. I took pictures and will post them along with a small write up about each and maybe someone can tell me if I'm doing it wrong or somethings wrong. I also found a rod in the box of extra parts which as you will see at the end might be the correct rod.

Here's a picture of the governor and the connections and rods. The throttle lever is all the way back at idle.

Here's the carb side rods and connections as i got it. The throttle lever is still full back at idle.

Here's the rod coming from the carb to connect to the governor cross arm. I took this picture to show the end.

Here's the gap i got using Dick L's set up. With Throttle lever full back at idle and the carb rod at idle (against the stop screw) I can feel some resistance on the cross arm when putting it back this far.

This is the rod that was in the box of extra parts.

If i put this rod to the carb and hold the cross arm back it looks like it's the rod for here. But the the would connect to the cross arm ain't right.

With all this shown and wrote, How far back do you pull the cross arm? I tried doing the wide open too but on the governor side it the plate that pivots (the pcs that the throttle rod connects to on one end and the  spring connects to on the other end) it hits on the cross arm. I hope someone can help me out. 
1938 Model B 3271
Former owner of 1939 WC
Proud Veteran US Navy 1985-1994 GSM1/E-6
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 11:20am
boilerrepairman--
check your mail box.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boilerrepairman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 12:08pm
Dick,
Here's the governor shaft and weights. The weights move freely and are connected.

Here's the inside of the cover. The forks are welded to the cross arm.

Here's the bearing. This is the side that towards the weights.

Here's the bearing fork side.

Here's the side view of the bearing. The side that the forks act on moves in and out and spins. The weight end doesn't move or spin.

1938 Model B 3271
Former owner of 1939 WC
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boilerrepairman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 1:26pm
Dick,
All together and what little throttle there is is snappy. What i see now after talking to you is this. When the throttle is at idle all the way back, the spring that pulls on the cross over arm is very lose. As you slide the throttle lever forward, it doesn't pull on the cross over arm till about a bit after 3/4 forward. After looking at a few pictures and then at mine, Someone welded the spring hook to the cross over arm and i don't think they welded it at the correct angle. I think if it was turned a bit more towards the front of the tractor then the throttle would make it pull on the cross arm. In the picture i circled the part that is welded in white. Am i wrong, but what i see these parts and a clamp type fit onto the cross over arm.

1938 Model B 3271
Former owner of 1939 WC
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 1:44pm
There are two rods available for the early governor. One is for an engine with a generator and is quite a bit longer (11 3/4" vs 10 1/2") than the one for a non-electric tractor.

Check the AGCO parts book online (page 74  for the early Governor) and you will see the links called out for the early set up. The book also specifies the lengths, you can measure yours and compare to make sure someone did not inadvertently use the wrong part......

Edited by GlenninPA - 01 Jun 2011 at 1:53pm
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes repentance.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 2:37pm
Loosen the setscrew up by your hand throttle at the steering wheel and pull the rod up until the spring is tight but not to where it changes the idle. You can work it back and forth to get it right.
Might have shoulda maybe said push until you have the spring tight. Sittin ana thinkin seems not ta be my best thing ta do but after posting to pull my thinker started to see the bow in the rod when I reach for the high dollar RPM's.

Fiddle with it and you'll figure it out. That is where you take the slack out of the spring anywho.

Edited by Dick L - 01 Jun 2011 at 2:49pm
Dean (West MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean (West MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 11:04am

Originally posted by DonDittmar DonDittmar wrote:

ANyone know how to make a B idle smooth? I rebuilt the motor and it runs good, but the gov wont quit hunting. Anti surge spring is installed, gov adjusted for preload per I&T service manual, new condenser, coil in mag, points filed and set to proper gab. carb cleaned out with fresh gas. I need to check the gas cap vent but after that I am stuck. I am going to try to post a vid in the next couple of days.

Hey Don, did you ever get this issue resolved?  I just rebuilt the carburetor and adjusted the cross shaft arm and now it surges bad.  Just wondering what you may have found out.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Dean (West MI) Dean (West MI) wrote:

Originally posted by DonDittmar DonDittmar wrote:

Hey Don, did you ever get this issue resolved?  I just rebuilt the carburetor and adjusted the cross shaft arm and now it surges bad.  Just wondering what you may have found out.
Well yes and no. I was rebuilding/painting for a customer and it wasnt my tractor.  I did narrow it to the carb, and no matter what I did I could not make it stop the surging. I had that thing apart 3 times and could make any difference. My customer elected to run it as is so I returned the tractor to him.
It would only surge at idle, under a load it would not miss a beat. I told him I would by a carb and put on it and if I ever figured out/fixed his orginal one we could just swap them out and I would charged him for whatever was needed to fix the orginal. He said he would just replace it himself when he got the funds.

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 11:27am
You have to remeber that if there is something wrong with the carb that would make the engine drop in RPM, the governor is going to constanly try to counter-act that

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic