This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"B" front end? Any hints or tricks? "UPDATE"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "B" front end? Any hints or tricks? "UPDATE"
    Posted: 30 May 2012 at 9:49am
Is there any hints or tricks to get the "straight" front axle to move? It has been soaking for too days, I have given it a few good wacks with a large sledge hammer but it wont budge. Ouch  I would really like to get it a little wider so I don't run over my corn.

Edited by R.W - 09 Jun 2012 at 2:27pm
Sponsored Links

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 11:17am
I was trying to remember what we would do with ours (D-14 and 17) back in the day... but maybe they had not been setting so long and 'stuck together' as much
sorry I do not hav any good hints, or better than you are doing.
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 12:16pm
Electrolysis
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 1:22pm

Take the bolts out. Put smaller ones in, don't tighten them tight. Drive it over plowed ground. It might help to loosen it up. If the axle has a bolt hole showing out of the tube, I made a fixture to bolt to it and use a hyd jack. HTH Tracy Martin

No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 1:33pm
I was trying to remember what we would do with ours (D-14 and 17)
Seems like on the D 17, you put a bolt on the spindle somehow and turned the steering wheel and the force from the tie rod slid it in/out (would sure have to be loose)?  maybe I'm dreaming.
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 1:48pm
Yes, if everything is loose that tecnique would work, you are not dreaming. I do remember using that way of changing the front... but power steering or steering by 'armstrong' is not enough if there is any thing sticking.
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 4:28pm
Well I put it back together and I'm going to keep soaking it. I got another tractor I can put the cultivator on, and that way I can keep the B narrow for the veggies! 

Thanks Guys!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 5:40pm
RW I used a porta-power on one of mine that had set for years. I left bolts in one side and got it to move then did the other side. I put pressure with the porta-power and one hit with a big hammer and it was moving.
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

RW I used a porta-power on one of mine that had set for years. I left bolts in one side and got it to move then did the other side. I put pressure with the porta-power and one hit with a big hammer and it was moving.
If it comes down too it, I have a neighbor with a prota-power that might help me.
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 9:41pm
yep, I used a jack and put pressure on it then smacked it with the BFH!
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 9:51pm
The B front axle is different then the D series. The opening is at the top on a B, not on the underside. This allows water to get in and lay there. I have a B the I have been running without any bolts in it for 5 years and nothing has moved. I haven't soaked it lately, but did a lot of soaking years ago. Bob
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 2:30pm
Well its apart...and nothings broken.

wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 4:02pm
Looks like your center pin hole is worn like mine was .  I got two bushing  to go from cat  1 to cat 2 three point hitch  and a 7./8 hitch pin and repaired mine . one bushing was not long enough . put bushing on pin and welded stright . squared it all up  and filled in axel around bushing. . User hitch pin for it to swivel on  ,had big head and could get a good weld./
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 4:49pm
Center hole doesn't look to be worn "its perfectly round" there is a bushing that is worn and I will replace along with a new pin.
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 2:55pm
Is there supposed to be a bushing in the axle or has mine been bored out and the bushing been made?  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic