This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B 61 Macks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PBSoMd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B 61 Macks
    Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 7:35pm
B 61 Mack, older restoration "Haulin Allis"
D 19 Dragging the Old Mack Dog
PJSoMd' B 61

Sponsored Links

TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 8:51pm
Nice bulldogs!!!!!!!!  Thanks for sharing
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 9:52pm
That's the one I was looking for you to post! real nice!
Jack(Ky) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack(Ky) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 5:56am
Those are sharp old trucks. I have a friend that has one.JP
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 9:40am

That is really neat!  When my Dad and uncle had their AC dealership, we had a B-61 Thermodyne tandem.  They had the frame lengthened and then put on a 20' flatbed with a 10" beavertail.  Both pieces of deck could be raised/adjusted depending on what you wanted to load.  We also had it painted orange but the interior was green just like in the above photos.  After they sold out, I think the truck ended up somewhere in Wisconsin.  I'd really like to know what happened to it.

Brian F(IL)

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 12:34pm

That is just too cool! Is that one of those "twin sticks" where you have to hook an arm through the steering wheel to shift the range and gear using both hands?

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
bauerd44 View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bauerd44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 3:55pm
You don't hook your arm through the steering wheel, that dangerous.  You stick your belly up against the steering wheel and use both hands.  That why a lot of drivers have big bellies.  LOL

Dale
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 10:25pm
bauer44 Thats too funny!! LOL!! Now I know why I grew mine but only have 1 shifter!!
woodbutch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 11:28pm
I saw your orange mack hiding behind the hd6 in before pic. cool truck.love the big round everything on mack trucks. nice restore!
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 8:00am
Im jealous.....
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 8:20am
Brings back old memories as I worked for Mack St.Louis as a younger man in the 70's.  B models always had a special place with the L series cabs both real work trucks.  I wish I had a fourth of the ones I worked on or saw go to scrap.  Tri-plex was the twin stick monster, called Tri-plex for the triple counter shafts that made it work regardless the load a real work horse.

I loved dyno time with these monsters, would pull full horsepower on a thermodyne from 1900 to 1100, the higher horse turbo engines were dry sleeve and even on 400,000 miles blowing oil, pistons slapping and smoking to beat the band would still make power.  Unlike Drip Troits that made power at RPM and Cummins that made power in a 400 rpm band Macks would pull til you backed out.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 8:25am
Old engine series: Thermodyne, Maxidyne, Econodyne, all just at 620-670 cu in +/-, most common 210hp thermodyne and 270hp econodyne, saw them built to 400hp before I lost track of advances.  Best trucks built for work, thanks for the memory jog and great looking machines.
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 4:55pm
nice trucks,  Mack definitely invented the modern concept of a very wide power band.  My boss was a longtime gearing expert, he said it was because they liked to spec trucks with a simple transmission that had wide splits that other engines could not handle in that day.
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 9:11am
I never was a Mack guy, thought they were ugly overly simple trucks, had a friend that swore by them, was still uninterseted in the lack of style, until one day I drove an older DM that wasnt running correctly it was a huge pouch, excuse the pun. I couldnt believe what a lazy lack luster motor they had when my buddy the mack man said there has got to be something wrong because an old mack wll eat about anything on the road, so upon closer inspection I seen that a brass T had broke off of the intake maifold leaving a big hole in the intake allowing it to lose all boost, and the T fed an air line that pushed the rack open on the injector pump, hooked that back up with a new T and loaded it up with gravel headed to the biggest hill around here to make it work, that old DM had a twin stick one lever is  high lo and rev the other 1-2-3-4 1 I guess 1 is for going staright up a wall because all you need is 2-3-4 and your going 65 with a load, which if you have never drove a big truck for a 300 hp engine to pull from 0 to 65 in 3 gears even today is unheard of, anyway went up that hill in 4 hi the engine labored down to about 700 rpm the turbo screamed bloody murder and that old dog growled all the way up that hill but never lost power, its was absoululy unbelievable, specially when I own a 425 cat a 400 cummins a 350 detroit and even the newer cat cant take a hill like that and pull in such lo rpms. That one expierence opened my eyes completely to the beauty and ruggedness of a MACK. Your restoration is beautiful and to all non believers of a mack just make sure if you look in your rearview and see one coming get the hell out of its way because that old dog is going to come no matter what!!!!!!!!!
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 11:37am
That old Mac reminds me of something. Edgedecomb Steel used  Mack so they furnished stainless to have some made. Met one or two back in sixtes. That thing glittered like a star coming at you.
gary ny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary ny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 11:45am
A friend of mine bought an old mack dump truck that he wants to use to haul corn.Then he saw trick my truck and now has some big ideas lol.Great restoration job !!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic