This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aronia berrys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aronia berrys
    Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 6:43pm
I knows some of you guys have them. There's a local produced documentary on public TV now about them. Their talking about fermenting them to bring out probiotics. Big question. Do the Deer eat the darn things?? I wonder how they would do to make wine?
Sponsored Links

iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 6:50pm
Visited a winery last summer that was making wine out of them. Not much of a wine drinker so never tried any. An older guy in our group said they were a fancy name for choke cherries.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 10:20pm
we buy the wine when ever we find it, it's very good! we have sum bushes here that are just in their 2nd year. birds and deer don't seem to bother them much here. I've made an aronia crisp with them, and it turned out really yummy! everywhere I read, they are sposed to be good for us! IA ALLIS...not choke cherries...it's choke berries...2 different berries.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 10:20pm
gits ahold of Luke or Les, they raise lots of them.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 10:24pm
Ya Iowa Allis that's what they were saying. Said they were native to Iowa. When growing up we had 550 acres of land that was pasture and row crop. Rented another 80 to 220 acres. I don't ever remember seeing a bush or tree with them on it.   Dad had 200+ cows, I wonder if they ate them or maybe they weren't native to southern Iowa. Now that I don't have to feed a couple of old have, I got a couple of acres I can work with. I had them planted to northern pecans but the dam goats destroyed all 50 trees.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 07 Feb 2019 at 10:26pm
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 6:10am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

IA ALLIS...not choke cherries...it's choke berries...2 different berries.

He probably said that and I just misheard him.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 8:24am
 Hey Shameless,,,You know,,I hadn't heard ole Les mention any bout his Aronia business,,,lookin like thet buyer was tryin to railroad ole Les bout not payin him for his crop,,,,? I read lots bout the great benefits with them berries. I've asked the two stores here to get us some in the fall,,but both managers tell me they cannot find a vendor,,,??
  How are your vines doing,,???
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:06am
Article and picture on link 

http://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/shrub/black-chokeberry

https://www.google.com/search?q=Aronia+berrys&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS627US627&oq=Aronia+berrys&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Chokeberry
Plants

Description

Aronia is a genus of deciduous shrubs, the chokeberries, in the family Rosaceae native to eastern North America and most commonly found in wet woods and swamps. The genus is usually considered to contain two or three species, one of which is naturalized in Europe. Wikipedia
RankGenus
Did you knowThere are two species of aronia: black and red.softschools.com

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 08 Feb 2019 at 9:11am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 6:57pm
So which do yous guys like the best, red or black?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 7:53pm
black...think it's the "victory" bush, there are several different ones. I grab a handful of the berries almost every night and eat them. have them in the freezer. if you don't break or squish them, they won't freeze together ina clump. that dude in IA I think is a shyster to all the growers around. he sends out semi loads of berries every year, takes them to a freezer storage somewhere, says he's waiting for the prices to go up, but with several years of storage, the costs have to be eating up all the money he should be paying the people that grow them. when I get mine in top producing stage, I think i'll take them to the farmers market.
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:20pm
Along with the other IA shyster that sold the bushes by the hundreds,
 told everyone he would help market the berries,.. then retired.
 I got to pick some this summer and have a few gallons frozen,
loose in the bag like shameless says.
 Not very sweet.
 I hear deer or turkeys won't eat them
 and they mix good with apple for wine.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:37pm
Dad gum you guys are making this more interesting -- deer and turkeys won't eat them!!!!! I ain't been much of a wine drinker lately, but I got 1 week to go on this darn medication that says no booze with this medication. Gots this darn 2+ acres that don't have no nags eating and crapping all over it that I need to do something with. It is absoulty overrun with deer and turkeys.
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 5:34am
We have had them for maybe 10 years and the deer love them they eat both the berries and the bush. My wife makes a great jelly with them I have it on my oatmeal for breakfast every morning.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 6:55am
I've also bought the syrup too Randy, it is good too! they are kinda sweet and sour at the same time. I can eat them raw and enjoy them. good on ice cream too. the govt will sell you the bushes, (don't remember the cost, but is pretty cheap) and they will plant them for you at .18 cents each. check with your farm service agency, and if you put them into your wifes name, it might be free, the govt loves business's run by females!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 6:57am
we bought them at TSC a few years ago, takes them about 4-5 years to produce full berry amounts, but will usually start producing at 2 years old. seems to me they produce about 40 lbs per plant at 5 years old.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 11:25pm
You guys aren't gonna believe this!!!!
Lookie who our state director is!!!!

Wisconsin State Executive Director
Sandy Chalmers

What a name huh!!  I'm gonna write to her!

Anyway, thanks for the heads up Shameless, I'm gonna go do a little digging and see what can be done....

Edited by Ted J - 10 Feb 2019 at 11:26pm
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 11:33pm
Sandy Chalmers. I think I'm in love.
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 7:48pm
They should have named her Alice.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:19pm
invite her to the forum!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 4:53pm
I'm gonna do SOMETHING like that, she's kinda cute....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 9:04pm
if'n you plant them bushes in your yard, the leaves turn bright red in the fall and look really nice!
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:24pm
I haven't had much luck selling therm. The dude owes me for two seasons. The word I'm getting is that the buyers don't want the who;le berry, just parts of the berry. So the guy didn't buy any last fall so he can put in equipment to "process" the berry in several different parts.
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:31pm
You guys should have come picked some. Cause all 4000 pounds of them just fell to the ground. And for the next 2 years my berries will continue to fall to the ground cause they say I used an unauthorized chemical (wetting agent) on my crop so I';m suspended for 3 years. Even tho it says organic on the bottle they didn't like it. The amount of it that I used was 4 tablespoons spread out over an acre.

So if'n any of ya want any fer free, come on over. Pick all you want. maybe I'll set up a stand beside ole Shameless and run him outa business!   Ha  ha

Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:34pm
Tom. My berries are black and the variety is Viking, not victory.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 8:42pm
yeah..that's the one Les...Vikings! why was you putting a wetting agent on? and why'd ya tell 'em?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 8:44pm
glad to see ya back Les...how you feeling? need sum more pretty to cover all that brown ground?
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 1:05am
What a friend.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 5:41am
 Well,,Ya see,,,,Chask,,,,that is what I like bout ole Shameless,,,he really does some close thinkin bout his neighbors and friends,,,,and,,,,and,,,you can't hardly ask any more from your,,,,gulp,,,,,,,,, friend,,,,Clap
 OH,,,and WELCOME BACK,,Les,,,was thinkin bout you the other day,,,thinkin you maybe mad enough at ole Shameless and,,,,and,,,take it out on all us others,,just cause we tend to associate with him,,,,,,,,,,,,Wink
 Why didn't you set up a roadside stand and sell them "Healthful Berries" to passers by,,???? You could have some small free samples at your roadside stand with a sign tellin em it is "PICK YOUR WAY TO GREAT HEALTH",,,Ya see how easy it be,,??  You could even get an ad in the local newspaper tellin people bout the many benefits of the Aronia Berries,,,and even qoute from the federal papers published,,,and,,,,AND,,like ole Shameless says,,,,,you don't got to mention every thing,,,Wink
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 9:07am
That's a good idea Joe. I'll get ready. For that idea another jar of jam is headed your way. Just don't tell ole Ted.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 11:57am
  Les,,,you is the greatest,,,,and,,,and,,I'm gonna mention that very thing to ole Shameless AGAIN,,,
  Hey I gots another "tip",,,since you do live on a well traveled county road,,,make you some nice lookin signs (no spray painted ones now) and go hang em to the closest state road intersection or better yet,,a freeway exit,,,,,Yep,,that'll do it for sure,,,!!!Clap I can see em now,,," HEALTHFUL ARONIA BERRIES" You pick the amount you want to buy. Reasonable prices to fit your budget. Call BR-549 or go to "L&J Aronia Heallth Products.comClapClap
 (ps,,I won't mention it to nobody)

Edited by desertjoe - 16 Feb 2019 at 11:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic