This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are the handles gonna wear out....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are the handles gonna wear out....
    Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 2:57pm
.......on ole #41's casket?  I'm enjoying watching all the events and especially enjoy watching the Honor Guards. 
The Bob Dole salute was a salute to generation that will be unsurpassed.  Had to take note of the 5 Presidents left standing, only one (Jimmy Carter) really served in the Military while the other 4 seemed to get by on deferrals and waivers

But talk about planes, trains, automobiles & walking!  I think they've covered every angle possible and doing quite a bit a praying which can't hurt an honored sole.

Anyone know what the plans are for the 4141 Locomotive?  Hoping its going to end up at the Library.....going to put it on my bucket list to stop in.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Sponsored Links

Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:23pm
Not to be rude on this subject, but the wife and I were wondering if the casket even has his body in it??
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Dave in PA Dave in PA wrote:

Not to be rude on this subject, but the wife and I were wondering if the casket even has his body in it??
You know, I was thinking the exact same thing.  Be easy to switch out a different casket on Air Force 1 or especially on the train going to the final resting spot;  they had the train car door curtained off after the Honor Guard went in and then they opened it back up after everything was set-up
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 4:07pm
Why would they remove his body unless the casket was rented and has to be returned to the funeral home by 5PM?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

Why would they remove his body unless the casket was rented and has to be returned to the funeral home by 5PM?
Was his remains ever in there?  Closed casket from what I have seen so far.  Going on some time now, and things do start to smell after time, even with all the proper procedures taken! 
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 6:33pm
I have been a pallbearer before and know how heavy a casket is.
I watched them take the casket to the 'hearse' off of the plane.
The covered casket didn't look to have the same bulk to it.....plus the way those military
guys were holding it and the time it took. That was not what it appeared to be.
Just a show and ceremony.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 7:39pm
I have been a pallbearer too. We only had six men.Helped with uncle and had to carry him about 100 yds.I hit adout 240 and worked maintance and didn,t consider myself a whimp.Uncle was not a big man and we barlier made it to grave.Going up those steps would been to much for me.P S Helped guard J F K . Got in about ten ft of him and 5 rounds in 45.After bay of pigs.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:03am
he was prolly cremated, the casket was better for show than an urn. that's prolly why it was closed casket too.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:20pm
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic