This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are the gauges waterproof?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElementalEarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are the gauges waterproof?
    Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 5:19pm
Hey, are the gauges waterproof?
I'm having to replace our gauges because some of them rusted out, which makes me believe they weren't waterproof either.

The gauges do sit under a cowl and are mounted on the dash, so the only thing sticking out in the weather is the display itself. We keep our tractor outside, no cover.

Can i buy some aftermarket gauges and expect them to last at least a few years for quality gauges? Or do i need to specifically buy marine grade gauges since they will be subjected to rain and snow, despite them being under a cowl?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 6:44pm
Most automotive & AG gauges are not waterproof. They do alright for several years being out in the elements, but unless its a Marine or Industrial gauge that is made specifically for being around moisture or water, corrosion starts inside from condensation. Usually the Sun dry rots the seal and condensation gets in them on an open station Tractor.  Then it's only a matter of time, the rust worm takes em' out. They last quite a bit longer in Tractors equipped with pretty tight cabs. It really has a lot to do with the area you live in. High moisture content area's will wipe gauges out quicker.......
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
ElementalEarth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElementalEarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 9:08pm
Oh interesting, so not much to do about it then, other than parking the tractor indoors and out of the rain, I suppose.

I wonder if throwing a cover on it after each use would extend the life.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 9:44pm
A small cover over the gas tank and steering wheel.. 2 bungie cords on each side to tie down to the bottom of frame....... Let the bottom open to breath...

Edited by steve(ill) - 12 Feb 2024 at 9:45pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ElementalEarth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElementalEarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 1:38pm
Indeed! Easy enough to do, thanks for sharing your experience, it has made all this doable.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 8:53am
ive put new standard auto guages in my tractor that sat outside they lasted 20 years the originals had rusted from the inside so bad you couldnt see the markings. since parking all the tractors inside I havent had one rust since. the last ampmeter I took out had remenints of a gasket behind the glass but it still worked.
1963D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1963D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 5:33pm
Some times it's condensation that causes them to rust due to them no longer being sealed up
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 9:34am
Yes. Keeping the Tractor under shelter is the best one can do not only for the gauges but the whole darn electrical system and it's components!  The more they stay dry, the less issues down the road, especially with the electrical end of it..... HTH
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic