This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arc welding rods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arc welding rods
    Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 2:44pm
What's the best size and number welding rod to use when welding 1/8" mild steel? Is there a chart somewhere I could get to see what rod works best in what situation? Thanks
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 2:59pm
As long as not weight bearing and just general purpose 6013
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 3:18pm
yuck, 6013 stinks, literally...well it does for me.....got 20# less 4 roads collecting dust...
If an AC welder aka 'buzzbox', like my Lincoln AC-225-S, I've found name brand E7018AC rods are ultra reliable. Anything from rider deck rebuilds to HD trailers...great, consistant welds.
Miller or Lincoln websites should have charts, or just googgle 'arc welder rod charts'.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 4:25pm
I like 7014.
I have a nice spot welder for welding light metal. No I will not part with it.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 4:49pm
I use 3/32 diameter rod in a 7018.... I have a DC welder.. Do 90% of the welds with that DC welder and 90% of the welds with that rod.. I weld anything from 1/8 inch to 3/4 inch with that rod.. I dont do anything really BIG... If was making a loader bucket and the bottom was 5/8 inch thick i would get some 1/8 inch or 5/32 diameter rod for that... but for  brackets / trailer / 3 point hitch / misc anything,... i use the 3/32 with multiple passes.... the thing with 7018 rod is it has to be kept DRY... its a low hydrogen rod.. I have a small refrig 2 cubic feet with a 10 watt light inside.. Seems to do just fine..... 7014 should be similar, but not LOW HYDROGEN, so not as critical on heat.
   I have a 120 v wire feed welder for sheet metal up to 1/8 inch.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 4:53pm
the first two numbers ... 60 , 70, 80 are the KSI tensile strength of the steel .. the last two numbers are related to the flux and welding positon ( vertical, flat welding, multi purpose, etc)

Edited by steve(ill) - 05 Mar 2020 at 4:57pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 4:59pm
one thing about the 7018 rod on DC is the flue lays easy ontop of the weld.. A chipping hammer will knock it off easy in a few seconds............ sometimes using a 6011 or 6013 rod you will get the flux STUCK in the weld and harder to get it chipped off... especially on AC welders............ you have LESS flexibility with an AC welder.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 5:26pm
I never had much problem, with 6013, its relatively strong, and the sl*g cracks off, almost all by itself.  If Its gotta be super strong, I use 6011.  Most of what I use, I get from auctions, and clean outs, I ain't too picky...Wink 
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 5:42pm
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 8:03pm
Mild steel I use 6011-6013. High Carbon steel 7018 as the flux on this road helps with Hydrogen suffocation from weakening or cracking the weld.If I want steel to really hold I use Stainless as it has higher tensile strength than the aforementioned . Also with Stainless dissimilar metals can be joined.Stainless welding rod is not cheap!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 10:01am
1/8 rod size is nain thing I use if stick welding and 6011 rod on most things 
 1/8 - 7018 also if new metals and can position the project for weld direction 
 3/32 or 1/8 cast iron rod to butter edges of large casting for welding - or SS rod depending on material (can use a 7018 rod after vast is buttered with above rod)

Now that most welding I do is with wire feed using E 70S wire and 75/25 argon / CO2 shield 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 1:05pm
Hobart 1/8" 6013 -- 100 to 130 amp range for general use. 7018 for plow shares, Certanium for cast. 7018 dont keep very long once the can is open , so don't buy more than you need at one time.
I don't have my good Hobart DC. welder anymore, so its the Lincoln 225 AC. unit.
DC reverse polarity was my choice with these weird use rods.
As for the wire crap, I have the Century 200 unit, It's ok to play with but when I do serious welding, I gotta have stick welder.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 3:19pm
7018 is a low hydrogen rod... it will suck up humidity of left on the shelf in the garage.. Spec says to put it in a welding over and maintain it at 250- 300 degrees, but i have a 2 cubic foot refrig with a small light bulb that keeps it around 120 degrees and that seems to work real good.... I have had rods in there for a year and they weld fine... but your right, you can NOT leave them set on the open shelf.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 3:33pm
Old refrigerator with two appliance bulbs wired parallel so they just glow keeps my welding rods dry and warm. 7018 can be challenging to weld with. I used to buy AC7018 for AC welders before I got a Lincoln AC/DC buzz box with reverse polarity. My dad broke a disc blade once on the inside of the disc and wanted me to weld the blade back on as he had found the broken half and it was an inside blade. I welded both sides with stainless rod. Neighbor came by when I got done and said that it would never hold. Years later when we traded the disc off for a wider model the blade was still on! Luck,maybe. I figured might as well give it a try as I didn't want to tear the gang apart to change the blade!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 5:20pm
I like the stuff called Super Missell Weld anybody can use it. DC welder works nice.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:38pm
Super Missell is one manufacturers name for a specific Stainless Steel rod they manufacture.  Should work good for most applications, but expensive.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 10:34pm
How come nobody's mentioned JB Weld?  REAL easy to use and no AC or DC. Big smile LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 1:18pm
It really doesn't matter, they are all the same! I can make rabbit welds with any of them!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:12pm
two standbys 7018 and 6010 5p +  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:48pm
HUdCo... your either a Boiler Maker... hang around with them.. or was trained by one ??  Anyone that repairs tubes in a boiler house knows. Thumbs Up
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 8:41am
Good thread, I've been welding my own stuff since high school, and do a better job with my stick welder than my wire one but it is just for light stuff.  Several years ago I picked up a Lincoln tombstone AC/DC off craigslist because I was going to use it to remove rust from a trailer frame with a big electrolysis tank.  With the suggestions made, I'm going to have to try the DC side for welding.
Maximum use of available resources!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 10:18am
Ted and Lou,

You speak my language!!!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 10:33am

Yeah,,TBone,,,there's times when I put them "Gorillas" on regardless of which one I use,,,,,,LOL That right there is why I also use a bunch of grinding discs,,,,,LOL
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 12:12pm
Chrome may shine but chrome don't get ya home.  I've seen some pretty ugly welds that have and still hold up to some tough abuse. Handshake
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 9:26pm
6010 and 7018 are what is always around.  Not that I know much,but if I can get to it with out doing it over head,it general stays as long as the original.Wink Sometimes even longer.
KatherineHunter View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatherineHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 3:30pm
I also use E7018AC rods. They have really performed well over the years. They don't cost that much. The price really justifies their efficiency and reliability. I use the SUNCOO 130 MIG, which is a cheap auto body machine, and there is almost no problem with it. Even my father, who has worked in this field all his life and is much more experienced than I am, says that this is an excellent option. I always trust his words more than any expert, so I think that this is really true. The E7018AC rods are like a workhorse in my case. Never fail like some other options. What do you use?

Edited by KatherineHunter - 16 Jun 2021 at 3:49pm
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 7:40pm
For 1/8" steel  I would use 5/64ths rod.

7014 is the primary rod I use.  I sometimes use alloy 1000 from Blue Demon but I only buy it if it is on sale because it is spendy.  For poor quality metal I use 6011.

I run a DC inverter stick welder from Longevity.

Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 8:55pm
Marv, I'd use a 3/32" rod of #6013, 7014, or 7018 on 1/8" mild steel. Try it at 70 - 90 setting either AC or DC. 1/8" rod on 1/4" & thicker at 120 - 150 setting. Welders vary on what setting they work best at, as does position. 
I use mainly 6013 and 7018, the old bridge repair welder at work liked 7014. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 10:23am
There are several booklets you can pick up from welding supply houses putout by rod suppliers that give a good overall use guide for their rods and use of them for general welding and specialty welding . 
 Certanium Rods sales guy came into shop and had me try a few of their rods - said could cut down on different rods needed and stock fewer types by switching to theirs . Problem was it was 4 times the cost of present stock .  
 On DC 6010 P but 6011 AC gives similar weld character , 7018 AC by ESAP gave me good results for years and when i welded new grouser bars on tracks of my HD5 and D6 I used 7024 drag rod .
 now with my Pow-Con machine (Thermal -Arc) inverter welder or my Miller 304 I can wire feed, TIG, or SMAW in either polarity with one machine and have output of over 180 Amp . E70S wire for most work using .035 wire .
 Problem is all welding supplies have went out of site on cost be it shield gas or wire itself. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 11:06pm
yes i have welded miles of pipe joints of all sizes carbon and stainless and i learned to fit , got real good at measureing and fitting up piping systems nowadays i dont see much pipe but i have the skills and knowlage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic