This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anyone know anything about....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone know anything about....
    Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 1:39am
them itty bitty excavaters? are most of the repair parts from off the shelf? high upkeep? which brands better? any of them made in the USA? any info appreciated!
Sponsored Links

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 7:36am

This Link should help:

I'd be leaning towards the Kubota BX 23S TLB

https://buyer-insight.com/tractors/sub-compact-tractors/best-sub-compact-tractor-brands/
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 9:42am
Prices are high yet on new or used so hard to tell what the market will be .
Son just rented one a while back to trench around house to put in drainage trenches around foundation . Rented it for a Friday to Monday return for flat rate - only thing they figured 6 hours a day and he had close to 30 hours on it - so had to do some negotiating on cost . Think they are all imports so parts can be a problem unless dealer stock is large .  They work good but are not excavators and the skill using one to get good results is a learning curve like any machine . 
 The 0 swing is great for working close to foundation as is the offset of the boom to one side . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 5:09pm
My vote is for Kubota as well. I have had mine for soon 17 years, it is a grey market machine. Some parts are very straight forward from the Kubota Dealer and if you have a helpful parts person they will help you out crossing over and finding what you need. I once bought a new final drive out of Texas, a good saving versus from a dealer. I have heard that some of the brands of mini excavators have no parts back up at all which can leave you with a boat anchor in short order. Having found out how delicate the parts are that operate high speed of the tracks, I choose only to use low speed. As for the rest of my Kubota I'm impressed with the durability as it has had to work very hard on some jobs. 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 11:06am
all I ever see sell here is the chimineese ones and they go for around $5 to $6 thousand, new and wrapped in plastic. Martin Auction has them on every sale!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 11:14am
Cat, Deere, even Bobcat are all Contracted Gray Market machines, Some Chinese, Some Japanese, some S Korea, some ever more India Pakistan.
Buddy of mine chased parts to repair a Cat mini Ex, ended up DOOSAN machine rebranded, placed on the frame still had Burn't Orange/red paint.  One issue is Cat changes some fitting or thread sizes for their repair supplies and Doosan machines another size.  Rotary Joint was a major pain as failed and leaked terribly, Cat cannot get, Doosan was off thread, had to convert.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 6:53pm
If you are buying a used 1,check the sprockets. Our local bank repoed 1 many years ago. They brought it out to the car dealership where I worked because they had no room to put it on their lot. I seriously thought about buying it untill I looked at it. The dang drive sprockets were so sharp, I actually cut my hand when I reach under the track to see how much they were worn. It went to a machinery consignment auction.

Edited by 200Tom1 - 06 Apr 2023 at 6:54pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 12:51am
I found one on the web...forgot where it was now, but it used a B@S 14 HP engine.  Thanks Coke....I didn't even think about the offset boom on them, I think that would be better than a centerized one.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 1:21am
I have a Takeuchi TB25.  I bought it out of Texas from a small outfit that deals with mini hoes a lot.  Don't remember the name but can look it up.  Paid right around $12,000 and consider it one of my better investments. Built in Japan and has lots of dealers in the US. Has a Kubota engine, rubber tracks.  I did have to replace the seals on the boom, leaked pretty bad.  The engine and drive system work fine and the offset swing is handy.  Been very dependable and it's about the most fun to run of any machine I have!
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 6:51am
Though they are a lot more money than the inexpensive ones being referenced, the New Holland models I deliver several of are dead reliable. Seldom does one come back for repairs. When they do, it's the larger ones and emissions related; usually DEF injection related. Same with the skid steer and CTL products.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 7:27am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

them itty bitty excavaters? are most of the repair parts from off the shelf? high upkeep? which brands better? any of them made in the USA? any info appreciated!

What do you have planned for that? Bury your cream cans full of money 💰!
Get a big enough one that you can bury the machine!
Darrel
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 8:04am
I have a loader/backhoe with a cab, i'm unable to get in it anymore with my legs the way they are, I still need to do digging occationally, and with how much i'd hafta pay to have anything done, i'll buy one instead.  
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 2:44pm
Might try a rent all for one 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

I have a loader/backhoe with a cab, i'm unable to get in it anymore with my legs the way they are, I still need to do digging occationally, and with how much i'd hafta pay to have anything done, i'll buy one instead.  

Just quit dumping Wink pretty on O'l Darrel and he might come do your digging with the digger you already have.LOL

If he stops you can thank me latter Darrel.LOL But something says he will not.Ermm
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 1:20pm
If I got another it would be a Kabota.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 3:26pm
 I bought an almost new towable back-hoe. Works nice. Cost about $2000.

917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 1:20am
Hey Dale, you told me you sold that JD hoe you had.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 9:20pm
Okay, here's my $2.63 worth:
I own a New Holland backhoe attachment, that is fitted to my D17 (series 1).

I own a Kubota BX1800, the slightly-less-engined version of the BX2300 that my Dad had, before he traded it for a newer BX-series.  Dad and I considered getting a backhoe attachment for our BX's, but we found that it would not dig as deep, or as well, as the New Holland on the D17, and the BX's agility with the backhoe attachment on, was of no significant advantage over the D17 with the NH.

Most of the BX hoe's ineffectiveness traces to the simple lack of weight of the BX tractor.  Mine has ballasted tires, 60lbs of iron on each wheel, and the front tires are filled with foam.  Asking the hoe to dig into anything stiffer than moist black dirt just resulted in getting kicked around in the seat... and the smallest bucket available did not improve it's pierce and cut capacity... the machine is just too light.  Trying to rip horizontally dragged the tractor around like a toy.  Trying to lift, flips the front end up, and the FEL's bucket does not curl back far enough when boom is down, to hold any significant additional counterweight.  We resorted to chaining a 225 slant-six Chrysler engine in the bucket to keep it under control, but the BX's small front wheels were crippled trying to maneuver the machine in a work area.

The BX series hydraulics use the transaxle as the reservoir, and the volume is not considerable.  The BX's main hydraulic pump is integrated into the transaxle housing directly below your left hip, and it's flow volume is very limited, so running hydraulics means throttle WFO, and when you're trying to be delicate, and work with a ground man, it's just not a great situation.

On a BX-series, you'll find a differential lock pedal.  IF you have a BX series, and want it to last, remove the diff lock pedal.  The mechanism of the diff lock is the #1 reason for all the BX series transaxle failures.  If you find a BX that has a crack in the bottom of the diff pan (particularly if it's been patched or filled with goop), the diff lock mechanism has broken, and pieces of the 'sausage pins' fell to the bottom, and got pushed through when the ring gear caught 'em.  The fix isn't cheap... usually it's a couple hundred less than the tractor's operational value.

An FEL doesn't do backhoe work, but depending on what you NEED to accomplish, a little ingenuity and some scraps will MAKE it capable of doing some impressive stuff, even excavating things that neither a backhoe nor a mini-ex can do...

But all this being said, there is NO machine that will get in, dig, swing, and dump spoils, then move, dig, and dump spoils, around a site, like a mini-ex can do.  Granted, a full-sized excavator can do all the digging, as long as getting in close, and working around obstructions isn't part of the requirement. The Mini-Ex can be put on a trailer and towed behind a pickup, where a full-size ex is an oversize load, and oftentimes, an overweight/permit required transport.

The TLB will mosey down a road.  My Kubota BX will make 9mph, and not a tiny bit more...  a mini ex is well... barely pedestrian.

A TLB will pick up and CARRY excavation spoils, but the FEL-only will do it faster, and better, because it isn't bogged down by the bulk of the hoe attachment.  About the only TLB I've ever run that would actually FEL materials with authority (as if there was no backhoe in the way) was the Case 580... and it has the added plus (if so found) of having the extend-a-hoe feature (collapsing dipper boom) for added reach... but nobody with a compact TLB setup would be able to make this work, as the boom weight gets too heavy (it eats up lifting capacity, and the leverage works against you).

And I realize this isn't answering question about brands and models...  I've used CAT, CASE, Bobcat, Doosan, Hitachi... a tiny, tiny Kubota and some other (brand I can't recall) of mini-excavator, and I cannot express any maintenance or long-term economy notes, because they were units I operated on jobsites, that were either brought in by others, or brought to me through a rental service.  They all operated well, got in, did the job, and left the site in one piece (albeit usually dirty).

I have taken my BX (with FEL) on jobsites... but I don't use it to DIG, usually to clean up debris, move snow and ice, push, pull or drag stuff out of my work area, and carry my tools (like a diesel-powered tool bucket).  I wouldn't trade that capacity for ANYTHING, but I wouldn't use it to dig a hole, even if it had a backhoe attachment.

The New Holland attachment on the D17 is SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than the BX hoe... but it isn't anywhere near as strong (by virtue of simple geometry) than a mini-ex.  The basic reality of excavation, is that the farther you are from the place where you're digging, the more mass, and the more power it takes, to accomplish the task.  Doesn't matter if the distance is horizontally or vertically far, the circumstance comes out about the same...  and that's why the MiniEx is good at what it does- it gets in really close.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic