This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anyone have a good recipe for turtle soup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone have a good recipe for turtle soup
    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 11:16pm
used to be able to buy it, but haven't seen it in years stocked on a shelf, so, I guess I make my own
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 5:43am
Just curious Lou.  Are you a turtle hunter?

I usually see one kinda big snapper skulking around in the spring time.  Surprising how they will travel cross country.  One showed up and set up residence in the pond last spring.  It got like it owned the place.  So I nabbed him up when he got a ways from water and took him for a ride back to the river  this guy wasn't that big.  He just slid down into a five gallon bucket.

You need to get hooked up with Shelby Stinga.  LOL
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 6:42am
Never had turtle soup, heard it's pretty good.  Years ago my great uncle and I reeled in a 41# snapper and took him home to soak out.  My aunt was going to cook him up but my uncle traded it for 2 ducks and a fishing pole to some guys from Arkansas that were working on the highway crew.Confused  So to this day I've never had it but sure would like to try it.  I heard there is something like 9 different types of meat in them, don't know if that's true, I never looked inside one.Wink

I should add the 41# snapper was hooked in his toe,  he stepped on the hook. LOL

Edited by Kansas99 - 04 Mar 2021 at 6:47am
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 8:47am
I would guess something very similar to a recipe that I've heard for bear

#1 get a big pile of wood for a huge fire

#2 take a fuel drum with one end cut drum off big enough for said beast and truck tire

#4 Light wood and cook beast until tire is tender

#5 throw everything to the hogs to make BACON and call Pizza Hut for a large meat lovers  LOLBig smile
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 10:10am
Many years ago my uncle talked Mother into cooking a turtle . Stunk up the whole house . Needless to say I didn't try any . Thanks 
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 10:32am
Caught a big one back when I was a kid.  My buddy said we can take it up to a guy he knew that ate turtle.  We sat there while he cleaned it.  Very interesting process.  All of the meat was snow white which sorta surprised me.  This old guy knew what he was doing and before long he had two piles.  It seemed the hardest part was cutting the shell apart.  He cut it underneath where the top meets the underbelly.  Cut it around that and popped it into two pieces.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

Just curious Lou.  Are you a turtle hunter?

I usually see one kinda big snapper skulking around in the spring time.  Surprising how they will travel cross country.  One showed up and set up residence in the pond last spring.  It got like it owned the place.  So I nabbed him up when he got a ways from water and took him for a ride back to the river  this guy wasn't that big.  He just slid down into a five gallon bucket.

You need to get hooked up with Shelby Stinga.  LOL

Dave not since I was a teenager, that's a long time ago. a schoolmate's father would pay is for them, we would pull them out of an old mill pond. He kept them in a pit, made soup out of them.
Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

Never had turtle soup, heard it's pretty good.  Years ago my great uncle and I reeled in a 41# snapper and took him home to soak out.  My aunt was going to cook him up but my uncle traded it for 2 ducks and a fishing pole to some guys from Arkansas that were working on the highway crew.Confused  So to this day I've never had it but sure would like to try it.  I heard there is something like 9 different types of meat in them, don't know if that's true, I never looked inside one.Wink

I should add the 41# snapper was hooked in his toe,  he stepped on the hook. LOL

I know there are different types of meat, dont know how many, I never cut one up. I will be cheating, I found a place to buy the meat, so that is what I will do....if I can find a good recipe
Wait for the Lord;
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 12:47pm
I would have never guessed there was anywhere to buy it,  if you find a recipe post it, I might have to try it if we snag another big one.  Problem is I don't know how many people are left the know how to clean them,  I never saw the uncle do it and he's gone now.  The only thing I know is out here the ponds are pure mud so they need soaked out in clean water in a tub, or so I was told.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 2:08pm
Lou, I wish that I could help out here, Brushcreek Inn, in Warrendale, made the best soup around here.  Rich was the guy that made it, I remember years back, out back behind the building, we would do the prep work.   We helped him make it.  Sadly he passed away a year ago, at 48 years young, and took the receipe  with him.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 8:46pm
You can always use chicken as a substitute, Lou.  They call it mock turtle soup.  goes great with hoop snake shish kebobs!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

You can always use chicken as a substitute, Lou.  They call it mock turtle soup.  goes great with hoop snake shish kebobs!Wink
ya...no, no chicken
Wait for the Lord;
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 11:02pm
I've had mock turtle soup with hamburger in it??????????????
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 2:08am
First thing you have to do is find a good turtle.             Leon
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 6:50am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

You are the first person other than my dad and his Air Force buddies I've ever heard refer to a hoop snake!LOLLOLLOL

Were you in the Air Force?
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 11:50am
Watch out who you ask about turtle soup.  Johnny Paycheck shot a man over such a topic.  This happened in the town I live in.

Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Greg (Hillsboro, OH) wrote:

Watch out who you ask about turtle soup.  Johnny Paycheck shot a man over such a topic.  This happened in the town I live in.

LOL LOL

Good thing Johnny sang he wouldn't have done too well hunting to get something to eat.Embarrassed
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
mincabenj View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mincabenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 3:31am
OMG, I have never thought that people eat turtles. That's awkward. To my surprise, turtle meat has been consumed in various cultures for centuries. In some regions, it is considered a 30 minute meals delicacy and has historical roots in traditional cuisine. However, it's important to note that the consumption of turtle meat has raised concerns due to conservation efforts and the protection of endangered turtle species. As awareness grows about the ecological impact and the need to preserve these magnificent creatures, many countries and organizations have implemented strict regulations and bans to discourage turtle consumption. It's crucial to respect and support conservation efforts to ensure the survival and well-being of these fascinating creatures for future generations.

Edited by mincabenj - 30 Jun 2023 at 6:42am
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 4:36pm
I still see it on some store shelves. never tried it tho. there are several dudes in our town that cook them up as often as they can, then made ash trays out of the shell. guess theyb are really colorful
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 5:12pm
Dad use to make it , but finding large turtles was a problem unless you hunted for them . I use to get turtle soup down in Tijuana from street vendors as it was a staple it seems in Mexico.
 Fellow I worked for use to sane minnows and would get turtles real often from ponds he would sane , had a guy who would buy them from him to make soup . Had to be 5 gallon bucket size at least . 
 dad use to say it was the only thing that came with it's own serving bowel for the finished meal .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 5:18pm
Looking at this older post, I got a thought here!  My wife's grandfather made it all the time. She has books of the old recipes from the past! handed down from family.  Within the next few weeks or so, she will do the search!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 5:26pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOlIUNJPSE4
Shows from catch and butcher - to the table 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2023 at 12:15am
Originally posted by LeonR2013 LeonR2013 wrote:

First thing you have to do is find a good turtle.             Leon
             That's what I was thinking, you'll need turtle, lots of turtle then season to taste. Extra crunchy? Just leave em in the shell. You might want to check with Johnny Paycheck beforehand.

Edited by Walker - 30 Jun 2023 at 12:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic