This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone feed charcoal to your animals?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone feed charcoal to your animals?
    Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 1:15pm
I've noticed they sell charcoal at the feed dealer (feedmill) and was wondering if anybody has experience with it?

I've read its good for colic in horses (those sickly, finicky types always choking on a square bale flake) and cattle. Said the feedlots use it instead of so many drugs...or it may be better than sodium bentonite (anticaking feed additives) that they normally use. Also in hog barns it reduces the odor of the manure. Probably good for chickens too?

The old timers always had a old half burnt brush pile for the cattle to chew if they were lacking something. For the money (or lack of) we make farming this might be something to look into.
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 1:44pm
Dad used to feed real coal to the hogs. They would munch whatever they wanted for a snack.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 2:54pm
The big (100,000 head) feedlot left in my part of world gets 100 ton+ per week of lime powder from a quarry by my place. Been told it is like putting antacid in the feed for fat cattle. Western Milling is another outfit that probably takes better than 100 ton a day,mainly dairy and chicken feed I think.

As for horses syllies (sp?) a powdered fiber is what one feed store kept.I think they put it in some of the horse feed they made, as well sell you 5 lb bags they packaged. I thought it was much like the fiber stuff the doc give humans, but maybe not. 

I have heard that a little charcoal  in your diet may catch bad stuff you eat and help you pass it before the body absorbs it.

Hay Shameless you ever think of adding charcoal to your chillyWink???????????
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 2:58pm
I used to carry the clinkers out of the coal furnace and feed them to the sows. They would fight like crazy over them.
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 3:29pm
We also gave our pigs coal.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 6:06pm
Hey Ray, if he dun that, his charcoal would prolly catch fire an turn to ashes...
 an if they didn'ts, wonder what kinda stink bomb gases thet would make when he let a f----art out.Ermm    blewie    Sick
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 6:07am
don't the docs give humans charcoal in the ER to make you throw up?
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 6:29am
You can buy charcoal pills for human consumption bout anywhere. Works real good for an upset stomach or intestinal issues. Your poop will turn black so don't think you are bleeding out internally. I take them every now and again.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 10:31am
All of us that had been in SE Asia for any time carried a small tube of "Activated Carbon" in our travel bags. Imodeum (sp) nor Kaopectate or PeptoBismal would not touch the stuff you could pick up over there and the "AC" knocked it out overnight.
Small discs about the size of a nickel, maybe a 1/4" thick. Chomped em' down with some water and we could always tell when somebody had an "issue" offshore as their teeth were black the whole day after taking them.

When I burn brush/limb piles, I don't bother closing the fence up around the pile after pulling big Oaks and Mesquite in as the cows will just take it down after burning.
They want in that bad and cover themselves in the ashes while pushing their snoots through it like hogs rutting.
That and any time I put the SC blade on to clean up the barnyard or the diversion ditches as they roll in fresh turned dirt like a dog with a dead woodchuck.
Pretty comical to see a large Angus or Brangus bull rolling on his back. 
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 11:22am
We used to put a 20# bag of charcoal in the feed we ground for our milk cows after they went to pasture in the spring. 
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 11:47am
Charcoal is good for what ails you,  especially intestinally.  It is very good for drawing infection out of wounds.  Make a paste,  put it on thick, cover with wrap.  If you get it on the sheets the little woman will not be happy. 
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:34pm
Every once and awhile I feed it to a steer on accident when the burger falls through the grate on the Weber. 😳
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

don't the docs give humans charcoal in the ER to make you throw up?

I think they give it to absorb toxins. When I was an EMT, I have seen them give people who overdosed charcoal (either by mouth or stomach tube) to neutralize what they took.

They do often throw up !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic