This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about Rough Water boats?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody know anything about Rough Water boats?
    Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 5:09pm
A guy offered to trade me a 1989 Rough Water center console boat on a deal where I'm asking $1400 on my end. I was looking for info on Rough Water boats and I'm not finding much. Was Rough Water an off brand of another manufacturer? The boat has an Evinrude 120, trolling motor, depth finder, and live well. Says his fishing partner passed away and he has no more interest in fishing. My plan is to flip it. A friend that does a good bit of fishing says if the transom and floor are solid then it's probably about a $2000 boat.

Edited by thendrix - 25 Dec 2018 at 5:10pm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 5:24pm
I'd get your 'friend' to buy it !! Let him make the '$600'. I've been told of 'deals' like that..some are still sitting here or in scrapyard.
Kinda hard to sell a boat+ motor without a trailer....Can you test the engine and stuff? Test drive it for say 1/2hr if you still want it. ANYTHING labelled 'b-o-a-t' is expensive to fix.
Yeah, I'm cynical.......getting old too !
heck, who knows maybe,jes maybe your luck will be better than mine....

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 5:37pm
The trailer is included. Meant to mention that part. He says it runs good. I'm planning to hear it run long enough to know it runs. There's nowhere around here that has water in it that I have time to get to at the moment. I'm guessing that as long as the batteries are charged I can check the trolling motor and the depth finder as well.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 6:33pm
Sounds like it might be an offshoot of a Boston Whaler but the only thing I know about boats is that they are a hole in the water that you throw money into.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 7:59pm
$ounds like an extra heavy duty real deep hole in the water...Hug
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 9:29pm
Couple of friends bought a big river boat that they thought was a good deal and I went on the first trip with them. After going out and fishing with them, when we got back to load up, I said you boys have a motor problem. Bad. After spending nine thousand dollars for a new Mercury motor, the resultant problems with it right out of the box and the warranty not being honored it runs real good. I guess you could say they finally got the pit filled up.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 9:39pm
I had a 120 Evinrude. A 1984 model, Big block motor, very heavy, loves gas. I'd rather have a 115. 100 lbs. lighter and about the same power.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 10:17pm
The happiest two days of your life with a boat.

The day you buy it.

The day you sell it.

You didn't mention what the boat is made of and the length.  If it's a big water boat, the beam would be important too.  89 is an old boat.  If it's been maintained every year then it might be okay.  I wouldn't buy a boat unless it has a mercury engine.  I see some of the newer foreign engines and they seem to be a 50 50 shot on reliability.  Usually if a boat has two, one has something wrong with it. 

Pass!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 11:37pm
I have 3 boats, love all of them. #1. a 22 ft deck boat, center console, seating on both sides and a day bed in front (queen size) 120 HP 4 cyl Mercury in line inboard engine, has a lot of goodies, can use the center area for a dance floor. it's a 1974 Texas Plastics brand. #2. 14 ft runabout Lund brand aluminum 5 person seating with a Johnson outboard, (dads old boat), #3. a 19 ft aluminum canoe, didn't get to take any of them out last year, but hopefully will this coming year!
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 12:35pm
What I have found on boats is-older boats really don't seem to have much value. You tend to be buying the motor. Also is it a type of boat that can and is used in your area? Jon boats and the smaller v-hulls in our area never really chance much but older bigger boats are just that-an old bigger boat. Also I think it is an off brand boat no longer in production. Tell him to sell it and put the money toward's what you are selling.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 1:33pm
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/category/type/Roughwater

Rough Water may not be the brand but a type of boat. I see Rough Water used a lot in descriptions.

Edited by chaskaduo - 26 Dec 2018 at 1:38pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 2:22pm
It's a 17'. ROUGH WATER is what it says on the side. Best I can tell it looks like a center console v hull boat. Around here we have several reservoirs so I'd say it's definitely something you could use here. If I had a better relationship with Photobucket I'd post a couple of pictures
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 3:22pm
WAS at one time a Proud boat Owner, and sold off as I could not fill the open hole in the water with money any further. Rough Water boats I have not dealt with, Four Winns, Sea Ray, a few others I have. My boating experiences are Waters of MO, rivers and Lake Ozark primarily, did a little Ocean running in CA when lived out there. Here the Small boats(Less than 24') do NOT come out on weekends on our rivers or lakes as just cannot compete for surface time. My smallest was a 21' 1988 Four Winns Sundowner cuddy, slow and heavy, largest a 28.5' 280 Four Winns open bow 9'6" beam and steady as a rock in rough water of Lake Ozark in high traffic. Older Brother did the tail dragger series Formula Boats his longest 41' and three engines, 180-300 gallon gas a weekend and NOT for me. He took it to CA when moved there and sold it there as a small runabout to coastal waters.

Do know for a fact three major boat builders use Lake Ozark to test out hulls for stability as is the Worst riding water one can find in the US.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 4:23pm
BOAT= bust out another thousand!
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 4:29pm
I would take rough water to mean more of an offshore boat capable of handling rougher water. Now that I've thought about it, it even makes sense.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 5:31pm
Tyler...if it's made of metal, it could be one like they use in Alaska, those boats used go for about $35,000. they are no bigger than my boats
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 6:04pm
I would call any local marine repair shops in your area and see if they know anything about them. Sometimes if it is a known brand in that area it would be easier to sell. Any info I find on that name lists larger and more spendy boats. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 6:19pm
Just thought of something. Could ROUGH WATER be the model of the boat and not the manufacturer?
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 6:21pm
Run! there is no value there. the engine never was a great engine and the boat doesn't show up in the NADA list of over 1800 boat manufacturers in the U.S. 
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 8:21am
try roughwater.com
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 8:42am
http://www.myboatpro.com/Boat_Vin_Check.htm There should be an ID tag on the boat. It may tell you if that is a brand of boat. I don't know if this link will be of any help but maybe?
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 4:14pm
Found out the brand is contender
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 4:16pm
Seems like most of the boats they sold were 30-40 ft cabin cruisers... Went out of business about the time yours was built.. Maybe a "new" company bought the small boats / name .... maybe it was the last of the original company.. Looks like built overseas.

Roughwater Boats had been building wooden boats when Hal Paris took over and began building boats with fibreglass using the C.C. Chen Boatyard in Taiwan. Following the Aries design by Thomas Gilmer the boatyard produced a number of boats that were being marketed in the USA as the the Aries 32, the Roughwater 33 and the Weatherly 32. The Aries 32 line was producing boats as early as 1974 and were imported by Sausalito Yacht Sales. The Roughwater 33 began in 1975 and were importing through Snake River Wooden Boats Inc.. Both of these were imported into the 1980's. Between 1982 and 1984 the same boats were being imported by Milan Boats Inc. and marketed as the Weatherly 32.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 6:02pm
OK, Being that the brand name is Contender that does change things a bit. 
Take a hammer and tap on the transom around the engine.
A THUD sound is a rotton transom. a sharper sound is what you are listening for.
Look around the motor well corners for cracks.
Make sure you do a SPARK & COMPRESSION TEST on all cylinders and you need to hear it run & see it shift. make sure the propshaft is not bent. If it passes those tests it may be worth messing with. 
Good Luck, John.
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 8:13pm
The boats on that facebook page, I clicked roughwater 33, are full keel blue water boats capable of taking your little buns anywhere in the world. Don't be in a hurry to walk away from it without checking the possibilities first.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:18pm
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 1:39pm
Is that Shameless?
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 8:23pm
With that barrel motor you could start thinking about a reverse Niagara Falls thing.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 4:46am
You want a "Rough Water" boat,,,,,,,,,, join the Navy!! Big smile  Couldn't resist that!! LOL LOL LOL
I joined the Navy to see the world and I found out the world is flat and covered with water...Wink

STAY AWAY from that one!!  My uncle had one, he bought it one day, took it out twice.  The transom came apart on the second trip and it sunk.  He'd always get himself into those (old man with nothing better to do) scrapes....  It was always going to be a deal,,,,,,,,,,and I guess it was for all the guys who stole his money...

Rough water boats were designed to ride high in the water.  Why I don't know nor can I conceive of a good reason.  Anyway, the rock back and forth a lot.  Ever been sea sick??
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 9:23pm
It may have something to do with being up there looking down at the waves instead of being down there looking up at them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic