This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody else have a corn burner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody else have a corn burner
    Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 12:25pm
And how do you store and handle it.
 The first few years, I hauled my "grain cart" to the neighbors every couple weeks for a fill up and put the corn in the basement a bucket at a time to clean the fines thru a home made screen. Then I vacuumed it from one bucket, into another by way of this PVC thing I made, then dump it in the stove hopper.
 I got tired of handling everything 3 times, so I started playing around with my vac set up adding a plastic drum to catch the clean corn.
 I also added a cyclone in line with the vac, so I don't have to clean corn dust and red dog from the vac filter every week.
 This year, I got a bulk bin free, from a neighbor that quit the hog business and set it up outside, next to my old "coal shut" I made for back when I burned wood.
 The built a new bottom for the bin, adding a 3 inch floor flange. I hammer drilled a hole pattern in the concrete and broke it out with my air chisel and fitted 3 inch PVC into the basement from the bulk bin.
 I filled the bulk bin one day last fall and have clean corn in my basement without leaving the house.
 A video in the following pic album shows the Allis All Crop 60 bin I saved from a scrap pile behind my wife's grandpas barn over 40 years ago. It also shows the make shift screen sorter I added to get small cracked kernels out and the vac system filing my barrel. I take corn out of the barrel by way of a slide shut off  underneath.
 Everything I read about corn burners said to burn clean corn, or the fines and dust will build up in the stove auger and can lock it up, burning the motor out.
 Longest winded post I ever made, but BABY it's COLD outside and I ain't got much else to do for a few days.
 Link to picture album, if it works: https://photos.app.goo.gl/pYNgfRGCfyoaN3jk6
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 12:32pm
If anybody notices the heavy copper wire wrapped around the white PVC pipe going to the barrel, I'm here to tell you, a GREAT static charge can and will build up, sucking corn thru that pipe, and will bite you when you least expect it. It's not perfect, but being grounded to some conduit from my electrical panel sure helps keep the spark from jumping from my feet to the concrete floor when I fill the bucket from the barrel Wink
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 12:36pm
i have an old case combine hopper with auger that my neighbor used to fill his wheat drill.  about 12 bushel.  He wouldnt sell me one of his gravity wagons but gave this old tender to me.  The auger tube is rusted through at the elbow where it angles up at the back of the hopper.  I hung a screen from the inside of a burned air filter at an angle under this hole and crank the auger to fill a 5 gallon bucket.  the fines fall through and the corn travels into the bucket.  carry bucket to stove and dump.  i run mine as supplemental so only about a bucket a day.  if it was more,  i would do someting different.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:41pm
We burn corn at the farm shop. Back the grain truck into the shop open the chute and fill the 55 gallon drums. I made plywood tops to keep the cats out. Two wheel dolly the drums next to the corn stove were good for about a week with three barrels full and a the stove hopper full. Don't fill it the stove on Thursday, Every Friday we have to clean the stove only takes a few minutes with the shop vac. Since we use corn right from the bin we Need to clean the hopper and burner at least once a week. And empty the ash pan daily. The new half of the shop has floor heat that will keep the shop above freezing. The farmer bought a corn stove a few years ago propane was real expensive and corn was almost to cheep to haul to the elevator. We grind corn mixed with 50% protein pellets and feed the cattle. A lot of the red dust is blown out when we fill the bins with the air floor operating the dust cloud coming out of the bin is huge.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 2:16pm
Your photos link works fine, video even works. Very nice setup. Didn't include a picture of the burner tho.

Edited by chaskaduo - 22 Jan 2019 at 2:19pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 2:20pm
I've ran one for about 5 years now, You have the setup I wish a had. I burn about 275bu a year. I have 2 gravity wagons up in the barn and carry 4-5 buckets to the house a day.
I have a screen made up the sits on top a bucket. The top screen screens out the big stuff.
The corn falls through and hits a finer screen which carries it through a hole in the side into a bucket. The fines fall through the fine screen into the fines bucket.
Last years I didn't even screen one wagon load and never had it plug up from fines. Only trouble I have is if big stuff plugs the auger.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Your photos link works fine, video even works. Very nice setup. Didn't include a picture of the burner tho.

toward the end of the video, you can see the corn burner. It's way back against the west wall and connected to the gas furnace. It's a Saint Croix SC050> I added a relay right above that big spec plate on the left, and wired it to my gas furnace. When the corn burner fan comes on, the gas furnace fan kicks in to circulate thru the old duct work. I just have to turn my furnace on continuous fan for the winter and flip a 3 way switch I added to the furnace. In the spring, I turn the stat back to auto and flip the switch the other way for the AC.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 22 Jan 2019 at 7:35pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

I've ran one for about 5 years now, You have the setup I wish a had. I burn about 275bu a year.

If I run this thing wide open, and it's below 20*F outside, I can't burn much more than 2 buckets a day. I figure I averaged about 160 bushel a year, the last 3 years. The bin will hold close to 150 and I had the hopper in the basement full when I filled the bin. If I run short, I can just run down and get a jag on the cart, and bucket it in the way I used to.
 I had about 400 gallon in the LP tank last spring to use up my contracted gas. The gas furnace has run more the last week than it has the whole season before now and I might have used 50 gallon since spring for back up heat, cooking and hot water. I use about 300 gallon a year normally .

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 22 Jan 2019 at 7:57pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 8:06pm
My corn doesn't cost me anything but some of my time. I chase the combine with a Green tractor and do some tillage work for my GOOD neighbor. I get corn for heat and some pork or beef whenever he butchers.
 The first 3 years, I had a lot more cleaning to do. He ran a JD 9500 with lots of hours on it, and the operator, most the time , was the original owner of the combine, trying to run it like he did when it was new. Lots of cob,and broken leaves and a good amount of cracked kernels.
 Last fall he sold that Green and bought a Massey from a local guy that retired. The new operator this year, was the original owner of the Massey, and he  put some nice clean corn in the wagons for us. He had me run it for a few hours and that might be my job next year. I just have to learn a bit more about the computer so I can input the right farm we are working in each day.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 3:06am
I burned corn for 20 plus years, I raised my own heat. at first I did screen all the corn for the stove and after doing lots of bushels, there wasn't that much cracked corn so I quit screening it. all the corn came from galvanized and red combines. very seldom did I find any cobs in the corn, put thye shelled corn in a small gravity wagon that I only used for the stove and for feed. built a cover for the wagon to keep coons out while stored in the shed. once every 2 weeks or so we'd haul 5 gallon buckets to the house and set in a yard shed, then dump the buckets in the stove as needed. (had lots of buckets). when I retired I didn't have the corn n o more, and went and bought a wood pellet stove then. the pellet stove is a lot more labor intensive than the corn stove was. (cleaning wise). if there were any corn fines, weed seed, bees wax, in the corn, it burned right along with the other corn. never had any problem with it jamming the auger. I still have the corn stove, if anyone can use it, i'd make them a heck of a deal on it. it's also a st Croix (auburn).
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:25am
I have thought about it but that's as far as it got. I have a 2 acre patch at the farm that is too small and irregular for the tenant to farm and it just gets mowed. I have burned ear corn in the outdoor boiler just playen around. You dont want the smoke blowing toward the house when burning it on the ear as it sure enough don't smell too good

I can have a grapple load of logs brought in a stacked right beside the stove for less than $500. If I get tired of cutting down and hauling my own, that's probably the route I will take,about 8 cords. Cant spend much to go the corn route for that kind of money.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:09am
I have 2 friends that burn corn in outdoor burners. One has problems with the augers that bring the ash out. Fire is hot and burns the flights off. He keeps spare augers that he removes and has a welder build the flight back on with stainless steel. The other friend doesn't seem to have as many problems as the other one but then he is not heating only his house . The other friend with the problems heats his house,barn,shop and used to heat the swimming pool! Both raise their own corn and burn right from the combine and store in small bins with augers to the stoves. Both add Oyster shells to the corn when they fill as the calcium helps burn they tell me.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:17am
Dad burned corn for a while.  Not a very positive experience.

1st unit was an "Amaizing Heat" or something like that.  Looked just like a water heater really.  The unit itself wasn't too bad, but the support system was pretty mickey mouse.  We didn't have a combine for corn at the time, and he bought corn from a guy that ran red machines, and yes, a chunk of cob would wedge in the auger and either 1) plug it up or 2)the auger would twist and pull the hose off the fitting on the bottom of the hopper and dump the corn all over the floor and the fire would go out.  Red, Silver, Green, Purple, I don't put too much stock in the combine itself being the problem, never have, never will.  The real problem with that one was cleaning, which was an AMAIZE-ING PAIN IN THE AZZ!!!  The ash and clinkers were OK to deal with, but to clean the heat tubes was ridiculous.

That unit was just a little too small for Mom and Dad's house, so he bought a bigger unit made by central boiler.  It was much easier to clean the heat tubes, and the corn hopper was built right into the unit, so cobs and fines and such were really no problem at all.  This one's downfall was the aerator / agitator.  Stupid hollow diamond cross sectioned long tube with cross holes, about 2 feet long +, cantilevered off the end where it was welded to the rod that turned it.  Was supposed to rotate in the burn zone, air coming out of the cross holes.  Dang thing would break every few months.  Was under warranty, then they said, "This is the last one we will warranty!" 

Seems people's experiences depend GREATLY on the unit they have, plus some luck good or bad, plus their tolerance to BS. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:20am
Mine's a stove not really a furnace. It's runs almost as high as I can run it most of the winter and the heat leaks out of the old house almost as fast as I can put it in. 15 degrees or below the furnace has to kick on sometimes to help.

The hopper would only last about 10 hours on high, so a few years ago I build 4" hopper extensions. Now I can hold 3 buckets and run 12-16 hours.

I have to buy my corn, but it's still a lot cheaper than gas or pellets. I feel like I'm helping use up all this excess corn on the market as well. One little wagon at a time...

I watched the videos and that's a really nice setup. I'd do that before cutting and hauling wood anyday.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:29am
Dad had a ~5 ton hopper right out side a "window" with a plywood cover over it.  Take the cover off, slide a chute under the discharge, turn auger on.  Fill 5 ton hopper no more than 2 times a year.  We would smile and relax on how much easier it was than cutting wood!

Now, I cut wood. . . .

$7.00 corn back then wasn't all that cheap either!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:03am
curious,anyone know the true costs of growing your own corn for heating? seed, planting fuel, fert/weedkiller,harvest fuel,storage/cleaning... vs buying ?

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:25am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

curious,anyone know the true costs of growing your own corn for heating? seed, planting fuel, fert/weedkiller,harvest fuel,storage/cleaning... vs buying ?

Jay
If you already own everything  you need, and just love to play in the dirt, it's probably slightly worth while to grow your own.

Factor in all land costs, equipment depreciation and repairs, drying costs, in addition to all you already mentioned......it's cheaper to buy a couple hundred bushel, if you can buy and handle it "in bulk".  In bulk, $700 would heat most homes in the US for a year.  Start buying 25-50 pound bags from a store, not so cheap!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:56am
 I was at the hardware store last week and noticed the pellets were up to $6.49 for 40# bag,,,whew,,,,!!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 11:17am
Edumcate Confused me.  What has to be different for pellets and corn burning. I would expect there are different amounts of heat per unit so the auger speed would change but I thought that was how you adjust the heat output.

So as in Dales case why a different unit for corn from pellets.  
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 1:44pm
I see them now Charles, I musta bolinked at that moment in the vid.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:14pm
Charlie,
I didn't even think about static problems! Wow. It would of surprised me!
Mike
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Edumcate Confused me.  What has to be different for pellets and corn burning. I would expect there are different amounts of heat per unit so the auger speed would change but I thought that was how you adjust the heat output.

So as in Dales case why a different unit for corn from pellets.  

Most corn stoves can burn either corn or pellets or a mixture of the two. Pellet stoves generally will effectively burn only wood pellets, with perhaps just a little corn mixed in.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

I was at the hardware store last week and noticed the pellets were up to $6.49 for 40# bag,,,whew,,,,!!

I go to Farm and Fleet and buy my whole year supply for $3.99. I use about 1 bag a year to light my stove.
Farm and Fleets current add:

Easy Heat Premium Grade Wood Fuel Pellets

Sale $3.79

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 12:11am
for me, my corn stove company said I could burn pellets in it, but had to change a few things on it, they wouldn't tell me what I had to change. as for us using either, there is no furnace in our home. buying a corn/pellet/wood heater versas a new furnace was a no brainer. we have purchased all three thru the past 25-30 years and still under 1/2 of the money i'd hafta spend to have a propane furnace put in. which ever stove we have used to heat with, it has always been on the lowest setting. a 5 gallon bucket of corn would heat about 18-20 hours. one 40# bag of pellets heats for 23-24 hours. last pallet of pellets I bought cost me $2.77 per bag. one hopper load from the combine heated my house all winter, it needed to be 15% moisture, any dryer or wetter it wouldn't burn right. our pellet stove is a "king" brand from TSC. nice stove, heats well, but is very labor intensive, has to be cleaned daily, if we buy a different one when this one breaks, it will be a "pel-pro" brand. this brand has things I like about it better than others. no single heat source will work for everyone.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 7:06am
As said, most corn stove are corn/pellet stoves. Pellet stove won't burn corn.
The corn stove has an agitator in the burn pot to stir it. Without it the corn just burn in a big piles and overflows the pot.
The corn makes a lot more ash. On pellets I can burn for 1-2 weeks without cleaning out ashes. Corn needs to be cleaned 1-2x's per day.
My cleaning is easy. I have one of those little garden scoops for planting tomatoes.
Put on a welding glove and take out a couple scoops. I never shut mine down unless it serious or I need to clean the chimney pipe.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

I have thought about it but that's as far as it got. I have a 2 acre patch at the farm that is too small and irregular for the tenant to farm and it just gets mowed. I have burned ear corn in the outdoor boiler just playen around. You dont want the smoke blowing toward the house when burning it on the ear as it sure enough don't smell too good

I can have a grapple load of logs brought in a stacked right beside the stove for less than $500. If I get tired of cutting down and hauling my own, that's probably the route I will take,about 8 cords. Cant spend much to go the corn route for that kind of money.

I don't mind the smell of burning corn, it's not near as bad as the smell from the neighbors (1/4 mile away)  outdoor wood burner, when he burns wet wood.
I don't see any advantage to switch over from a good existing wood burning set up Butch. I had a chimney gone bad, and can't get out to cut wood like I used to. The chimney alone would have cost at least 3 times what I paid for a good used corn burner, and the exhaust pipe for the corn stove is WAY shorter and cheaper.
 Kinda glad I got this set-up working with the below zero temps now. I don't have to haul anything in from outside, just dump my ash bucket once a month Smile
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

As said, most corn stove are corn/pellet stoves. Pellet stove won't burn corn.
The corn stove has an agitator in the burn pot to stir it. Without it the corn just burn in a big piles and overflows the pot.
The corn makes a lot more ash. On pellets I can burn for 1-2 weeks without cleaning out ashes. Corn needs to be cleaned 1-2x's per day.
My cleaning is easy. I have one of those little garden scoops for planting tomatoes.
Put on a welding glove and take out a couple scoops. I never shut mine down unless it serious or I need to clean the chimney pipe.

I don't have an agitator. I dump the clinker once a day, when I go down to fill the hopper. It will burn for  at least 48 hours without dumping the clicker, but it gets so thick and solid, I have a hard time knocking it down to the ash pan. It kinda grows into the small holes in the burn pot and gets stuck.
 I shut mine off for a couple minutes to let the fire burn down a bit. Then just pull the rod out, and the bottom of the fire pot slides away, dropping the clinker in the ash pan. I empty the ash pan about every 5 days. Starting it up only takes a minute, so it's no big deal.
 With the old wood stove, I cleaned the chimney at least once a month. This thing gets cleaned good before the first fire in the fall(should be the last fire in the spring) and maybe once during mid winter I do a quick chimney sweep.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 12:03am
Charlie...your burn pot should be stainless steel and clinkers should not stick to it, if they do, take a wire brush to the inside of the fire box to shine it up some, and do make sure all the holes are open. my corn stove didn't have the agitator either and worked well. it had a slide that went in on top of the pot, let the new corn pile up a bit, then dump the fire box into the catch bin, then pull out the top grate after sliding the lower grate back in, it will continue to burn without shutting it down each time.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 1:59pm
I took the firebox out last year and polished it up as best I could. It didn't seem to help much. If I dump the clincker once every 24 hours or so, I just poke it with an old stove poker, and it falls out. If I let it go 36 to 40 hours, it comes out kinda hard most times.
 I have no problem spending 6 to 8 minutes a day, to go down and dump it, reload the stove,  re-light it and refill my clean corn barrel.
 I also have the slide in shelf thingy that is supposed to catch the corn and let you keep the fire going. I don't use it, because it takes longer to wait for enough build up on it to make it work, than it does to just drop what's in there and re-light it.     
 I relight with a single sheet of newspaper and a quarter cup of wood pellets. I spend less than $10 a season on wood pellets and hand sanitizer to relight the thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic