This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any old Colt collectors on here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any old Colt collectors on here
    Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 8:01am
I have became fascinated with old open top colts.
I can’t afford the real deal so I’ve started collecting the reproduction models.
So far I have a 1851 Navy
A 1860 Army.
Hoping for a Walker next.
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 8:34am
I have those repros also. As well as an 1858 Army target model. Fun to shoot. Take them deer hunting during muzzleloader season. Have taken 3 so far.
And yes the real deal is out of league
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 8:44am
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

I have those repros also. As well as an 1858 Army target model. Fun to shoot. Take them deer hunting during muzzleloader season. Have taken 3 so far.
And yes the real deal is out of league

I have in my possession an 1858.
It belongs to a close friend. He broke the front sight off. I’m trying to get it fixed for him.
It’s a very neat ole gun. I hope to have one of those one day as well.
I’m amazed at how accurate these are and yes lots of fun.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 9:11am
I trust the alloys in the Reproduction models better than the Originals.  Many were made by small producers in blacksmith shops and the metals can be somewhat problematic.  Know two persons that had used Original weapons in Demonstration shoots where one became damaged and unusable where was just a better grade of Black powder SUBSTITUTE  used.  The original weapons can be dangerous if use modern substitute powders.

Have a Colt's Dragoon replica, shot that heavy bugger a few times but barely controllable for a second shot.  Are modern cartridge chambers available for these but I will not purchase knowing how it shoots on Black powder.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 10:01am
I have a couple of the replicas and a Ruger Old Army in stainless, the Ruger by far is the best and you can load it right up,one thing with any muzzle loading pistol is you have to make absolutely,100% sure, check it twice you have grease in front of the ball or you may have a flash fire, I had it happen one time, I was lucky the two that went off were right next to the one I fired, it left lead streamers down both sides of the barrel, had the bottom one touched off?? Kind of like a hand grenade going off in your hand, the Colt Walkers we're notorious for doing it, for a short time the government made a shoulder stock for the cavalry, that got shelved when people were blowing the hand off that was holding the barrel.
John m View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 4:11pm
Did the same thing with my reproduction Colt. Had a flash over and sent two or three round across the field. I ended up throwing that dangerous bugger away. Loud boom and lots of kick.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by TomC TomC wrote:

I have a couple of the replicas and a Ruger Old Army in stainless, the Ruger by far is the best and you can load it right up,one thing with any muzzle loading pistol is you have to make absolutely,100% sure, check it twice you have grease in front of the ball or you may have a flash fire, I had it happen one time, I was lucky the two that went off were right next to the one I fired, it left lead streamers down both sides of the barrel, had the bottom one touched off?? Kind of like a hand grenade going off in your hand, the Colt Walkers we're notorious for doing it, for a short time the government made a shoulder stock for the cavalry, that got shelved when people were blowing the hand off that was holding the barrel.

I use lubed felt wads.
I also use 454” balls in a 44 and 375 or 380” in 36.
I make up paper cartridges and include the lubed wad between the ball and powder.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 4:21pm
Also retaining proper barrel cone to cylinder clearance helps prevent flash fire.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 4:53pm
The reason the Walkers blowed up so often in war was because the powder load was so large you could fit a double charge in them, happened often in the heat of battle. Walker was most powerful handgun till the 357 came along, something like 100 years later.

TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 4:53pm
You need to have a wad or grease on TOP of the ball as well as the wad in between the powder & the ball, lot of people don't & I guess people have maybe never heard of it, I'm here to tell you that thing will turn into a handful if would flash fire.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 5:14pm
Have 4 or 5. The old timer that sold me my first one said to just load and use one cylinder at a time to avoid that flash fire. Said you’re likely target shootin anyway and why not take your time and enjoy it.
Bought my first one while on a youth church group outing to Branson, Mo at the ripe ole age of 14. Our youth group leader said, “we can call your folks and if they’re good w it I’ll spot you the cash!” Dad, said no problem just write down some instructions as he’d never had one.
AH, the irony of that happening today!
Love firing them off at night and watching the flame shoot out the barrel!
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 5:15pm
Chain fire is more of a common sense thing. I'm talking busy killin Johnny rebs and totally forgetting already adding powder.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 6:43pm
Back in the day they had bullets shaped like candy corn. They would get deformed while loading so some loaded them point first. Would allow for more powder even yet.
That blew up walkers.
Always make sure you see a commercial let’s round ring 💍 f shaved lead each time you load.
A moon shape means not a good seal.
I’m not fighting a war with mine so I pack grease over every ball.
I make my own paper cartridges with lubed wad included.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 8:42pm
If you are loading mini balls, good thing you ain't fighting a war. They were known as cap and ball pistols not cap and mini ball.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 8:53pm
The 4 or 5 I mentioned in earlier post are all replicas. But I do have a cap and ball past down from my Dad. It was dug up when they relocated John Browns house to Osawatamie, Ks for a museum. It’s for sure original though non-operational. Believe it to be in .36 caliber.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

If you are loading mini balls, good thing you ain't fighting a war. They were known as cap and ball pistols not cap and mini ball.

Who’s loading mini balls ?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Scott B Scott B wrote:

The 4 or 5 I mentioned in earlier post are all replicas. But I do have a cap and ball past down from my Dad. It was dug up when they relocated John Browns house to Osawatamie, Ks for a museum. It’s for sure original though non-operational. Believe it to be in .36 caliber.

That’s cool. Is it a revolver?
I do have an original 1861 Springfield. It’s not a shooter.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 9:45pm
The that's what blew up walkers made me think somebody must be. It was because of increased cylinder length to the point of being capable of holding two charges and blowing cylinder. The amount of powder you could pack around a conical bullet wouldn't be enough to blow your nose.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

The that's what blew up walkers made me think somebody must be. It was because of increased cylinder length to the point of being capable of holding two charges and blowing cylinder. The amount of powder you could pack around a conical bullet wouldn't be enough to blow your nose.

Google walker Colt billet mold. You’ll see the round ball and corn shaped bullet option. It’s neither a round ball or mini ball.
The story is just something I read in Colt history.
They were purposely designed to hold six shots rather than 5 and in 44 rather than 28 or 36 . They’re all designed to have the projectile just below the surface of the end of the cylinder.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 5:31am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 5:42am
Are several reasons of having Grease across the face of the cylinder was one to keep the Powder DRY in wet or damp environment, next was to reduce the reaction of the lead to the Cylinder (Corrosion), A most important was cross fire cylinder firing reduction, another to add gas seal at the Barrel gap somewhat while also lubricating the rifling as the slug pushed said grease down the barrel.  Was but two options to Offload these for Cleaning and inspecting the cylinder bores, fire all the shots or pull the bullets and dump the unused powder back into a storage cup to reuse.

These weapons were a learning curve, spare cylinders were often fitted where were carried almost as a Speed loader to acquire extra shots without manual hand loading a Hot Cylinder.

The coming to age of the Metallic Cartridge with a replacement cylinder to use them in these became common but were still Black Powder not modern powder cartridges and many being Rimfire as well.
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 11:48am
Wouldnt mind having a lineup of snake guns.......
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 6:24pm
I am not collecting but I got my pappy's 1887 45 Long Colt Frontier model.  It is all in one piece but loose as a goose. Wink
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Originally posted by Scott B Scott B wrote:

That’s cool. Is it a revolver?
I do have an original 1861 Springfield. It’s not a shooter.

Yep. Revolver
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 8:40pm

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,UMmmmm,,,,,,I'm thinkin I got a lead on what ole Thad is plannin ,,,er   .,,,Thinkin,,,and,,,and,,,,we should ALL be at least thinkin on starting to plan like ole Thad is,,,  Ya'll know how them Ozark Mountain boys is on being "prepared" and nuttin wrong in being RIGHT,,,,,,,,before the chit hits the fan. I knew it when he went and stole,,,er bought that backhoe that he has some serious diggin in mind,,,,,Wink
 OOOPS,,,I best stop here fore I give up all his well laid plans,,,,,,WinkWink                             
fjdrill View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fjdrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 5:57am
Dixie Gun Works in Union City Tn, Has reproduction guns, canons and parts. If you ever get a chance to go by there-do it. They have many flint , cap and curio guns. They also have a scratch and dent table that had a few pistols on it. Their Catalog ( A Good read ) are $5. 

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 6:43am
Originally posted by fjdrill fjdrill wrote:

Dixie Gun Works in Union City Tn, Has reproduction guns, canons and parts. If you ever get a chance to go by there-do it. They have many flint , cap and curio guns. They also have a scratch and dent table that had a few pistols on it. Their Catalog ( A Good read ) are $5. 

Good to know. I’ve ordered from them but didn’t know they had a store.
Smokey mountain knife works has a relic room in the basement. Has some nice real Colts.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 6:52am
I had a 1851 navy reproduction.  Must had been a 1974 model. Italian made, I think it was a Lyman import. Pretty case hardening, engraved cylinder. I always used Crisco grease to prevent multi-fire. I cast my own lead balls. I shot it so much the internals wore out, trigger wouldn't hold in the hammer notch (dangerous). You could get replacement
parts, thank you, Lyman.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 7:02am
Originally posted by BrianC BrianC wrote:

I had a 1851 navy reproduction.  Must had been a 1974 model. Italian made, I think it was a Lyman import. Pretty case hardening, engraved cylinder. I always used Crisco grease to prevent multi-fire. I cast my own lead balls. I shot it so much the internals wore out, trigger wouldn't hold in the hammer notch (dangerous). You could get replacement
parts, thank you, Lyman.

Did you use pure soft lead?
I’ve been saving lead and wheel weights for years.
I’m told not to use those for BP balls.
Gonna order some soft lead from midway.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 8:21am
Thad, it is better to use soft lead for casting. The open top Colts are not the strongest design, they shoot loose. They are definitely a good looking gun but not nearly as strong as one with a top strap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic