This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any of you ever been to Oslo Store?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any of you ever been to Oslo Store?
    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 10:46am
I grew up in the 70's and 80's frequenting that store. Many trips with Dad to get parts or just coffee and I and my brothers and sometimes my sister were with and if we were lucky we'd get a chocolate malt. I would sometimes sit on a bar stool as a little boy and spin til a got whoosie. Sometimes the place was packed with farmers and there was no place for a kid to sit but we usually got some candy to keep us busy and happy. The customers would sit and play horse with dice to see who buys coffee or sometimes doughnuts. The opponent was always the owner of the store, Glenn or later Dale or Bruce. You paid double if you lost or it was free if you won. They had everything you needed it seemed at that country store. On Sundays after church they would open for a couple hours so that folks could pick up some needed groceries. I bought many packs of BB's there and later packs of 22 shells, baseball cards, later on tools, all my boots, chain or rope or plumbing, Woods mower parts, etc etc. They had a sign in the window that read, "If We Don't Have It You Don't Need It". I always looked forward to going there and it was only 3 miles down the road from our farm. I wish that store was still here.

Here's an old article with a little about the store. Dale has been gone for a few years now and his brother Bruce left the area years ago.

Lutefisk keeps Oslo store open

Share to TwitterShare to RedditShare to EmailShare to Copy Link

Harry Lillesve, left, of New Richland, Minn., watches as five pounds of lutefisk are weighed by Dale Tiegen, owner of Tiegen's Oslo Store in Oslo, Minn. Lutefisk sales during December help keep the rural general store open. Successful Business Photo by Sheila Storm OSLO, Minn. -- Twenty years ago, Tiegen's Oslo Store sold a lot of work clothes and shoes. Today, owner Dale Tiegen goes with whatever sells.

That includes groceries, crafts, tools, hog equipment and farm equipment parts, electrical and plumbing items, a coffee bar, sunglasses, watchbands, cards and gifts.

Mainstays are lutefisk, herring and lefse.

Sales of lutefisk and herring particularly during December help keep the rural store open, Tiegen said.

But things change over time and so has Tiegen's Oslo Store, which is located on Minnesota 30, about 12 miles west of Highway 63.

``Twenty years ago, when I started with Dad, work clothing was a big item, a big part of the business,'' he said. The store no longer sells work clothing, although it still sells Red Wing boots.

Tiegen, 53, said farmers -- who make up many of his customers -- suffered depression years between 1982 and 1988 and have had two more bad years in 1992 and 1993. Farmers used to gather at the store to drink coffee and chat with their neighbors.

Today, you might catch a farmer or two stopping only occasionally for a cup of coffee alone. Tiegen said there aren't many young farmers and those still in agriculture have another job keeping them too busy to sit around and drink coffee.

But over the years farmers bought more than coffee and still do. Farmers stop in to buy parts they need right away, but Tiegen doesn't always have the right one.

``I can't rely on agriculture to make a living,'' he said. ``Otherwise I would have locked up in 1987.''

Instead, Tiegen has tried to be versatile in his offerings.

``You have to go with whatever works,'' he said.

Tiegen finds his Scandinavian offerings growing more popular each year.

For the past few years, he's published a mail-order Scandinavian Wish Book.

Customers can purchase lutefisk, herring, lefse and a variety of Scandinavian gifts and cooking items.

This year, Tiegen sent out more than 800 fliers, up from around 600 last year. Every person that walks through the doors walks out with a flier, Tiegen said.

``I'm still not sure if it's profitable,'' he said, ``but I know it pays its way, so I keep it going.''

He compiles his mailing list from addresses on cashed checks.

Sometimes orders come from people who get presents of lutefisk or herring.

Tiegen said he just got a call from a man in Rockford, Ill., who received a pound of herring as a gift.

``He liked it so well, he called five times and kept adding to his order,'' Tiegen said. ``I shipped it this morning.''

However, retail sales of lutefisk and herring are still stronger from customers who stop at the store.

The same day he mailed the order to Illinois, a man from Wykoff spent about $50 on 14 pounds of lutefisk and another man from New Richland spent about $20 on five pounds.

On another day, three women passing through Oslo on a return trip from Rochester stopped in and each bought a pound of herring.

Tiegen said sales like this keep business alive.

Also, herring sales are moving ahead of lutefisk sales, he said. In 1992, Tiegen sold six tons of lutefisk and six and a half tons of herring.

Tiegen expects herring sales will hit seven tons by the end of the year.

His family found the recipe in the 1960s. A company in the Twin Cities makes it and packages Tiegen's Extra Sweet Herring.

Tiegen's parents, Alice and Glenn, bought the store in 1942. The first store was built on the site in 1875 by Mads J. Ellingson of Oslo, Norway.

``He put up a store building here and started Oslo,'' Tiegen said.

Tiegen believes lutefisk has always been sold out of the store.

He orders it from Mike's Fish Co. in Glenwood and Olsen's Fish in Minneapolis.

Tiegen said they buy bulk quantities of dried fish from Norway and process it over a three-week period, including one week in a lye solution.

The old tradition of drying cod was to hang it on rafters on mountainsides in Norway. Now the cod is dried in a temperature-controlled room.

Tiegen believes this results in a higher quality lutefisk because drying conditions are more uniform.

He sells the kettle-ready lutefisk from a 50-pound container that sits in a cooler inside the store.

An old bathtub, from which his dad used to sell lutefisk, now sits next to the cooler. His father, Glenn, died about four years ago.

Tiegen said he put the tub away years ago, but set it up again after customers felt that was part of the tradition of Tiegen's lutefisk.

Tiegen has one full-time employee and several part-time workers.

His 78-year-old mother, Alice, lives next door and sometimes opens the store if her son is running behind schedule.

Tiegen grew up next to the store, got married and left Oslo until around 1971 when he returned with his family and started working with his parents. @etp

Edited by Lonn - 27 Jul 2020 at 11:23am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:21am
Good read about the old time store. My add blocker did not let me read the linked part. But local stores are going the way of the dinosaur real fast.

There is one hardware store here goes back must be close to 100 years. High ceiling with all manor of things hanging high up on the wall. Wood floor that squeaks as you walk about. Kind of out of my way but try to buy there or the other local hardware store. Two brother being 3rd generation ran the business. I believe one has retired,so would not be surprised to hear they are closing or at least selling out.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:21am
The oldest part of the store was torn down a couple years ago and the newest part was remodeled and turned into a shop where the new owner works on his race cars. The house next to it was built from the top of the old store when a tornado took the top off in 1931. I have pictures of that destruction somewhere. When I first started to farm a little on my own I bought nearly all my seed and fertilizer and herbicide there as Dad had done for several years.

The fertilizer was kept at a farm they owned about a mile and a half from the store, even closer to our farm. They even did custom spraying for a while for farmers using a couple pickup trucks set up with spray booms.

Edited by Lonn - 27 Jul 2020 at 11:26am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 1:23pm
Times definitely change and not always for the better. I remember it was a treat when we would go to Humeston IA to visit Grandma that we would get to "go up town" to Snyder's, one of those types of stores that you could buy just about anything. Another one was Street & Woolis in Cambria. 
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:42am

Dale Glenn Tiegen of Hayfield, Minnesota

December 7, 1940 - August 7, 2017

DALE GLENN TIEGEN

Dale Glenn Tiegen, 76, of Oslo, MN passed away on August 7, 2017, at Field Crest Care Center in Hayfield.

Dale was born on December 7, 1940, the son of Glenn and Alice (Erickson) Tiegen in Kasson, MN.  Dale was baptized, confirmed and a lifelong member of West St. Olaf Lutheran Church. He graduated from Hayfield High School in 1959. He was united in marriage to JoAnn Williams on September 30, 1961. Dale worked at Sears and several insurance agencies for a short time. Later he was co-owner of Tiegen's Oslo Store with his brother and father. Dale became the sole owner of the store in the mid '80's.

He enjoyed fishing, elk and deer hunting and traveling south in the winters. Dale loved to spend time with his friends, family and grandchildren.

Dale is survived by his wife, JoAnn Tiegen, Hayfield, MN; daughter, Brenda (Kevin) Miller and children, Logan, Lindsay, and Lane Miller, Brownton, MN; two sons, Gregg (Gwenda) Tiegen and children, Gunnar, Greta, and Greer Tiegen, Byron, MN; and Eric (Lori) Tiegen and children, Brittany, Gabrielle and Jacob Tiegen, Stacy, MN; and great granddaughter, Karder Belle; sister, Marilyn (Russell) Skov, Hayfield, MN; brother, Bruce (Janet) Tiegen, Bemidji, MN. He was preceded in death by his parents and son, Jason.

Visitation will be 5:00-8:00 p.m. Wednesday, August 9, 2017, at Czaplewski Family Funeral Homes & Crematory, 501 2nd Street NW in Hayfield and one hour before the service at the church on Thursday.

The funeral service will be 11:00 a.m. Thursday, August 10, 2017, at West St. Olaf Lutheran Church 70640 ~ 260th Avenue, Hayfield, MN. Interment will be in West St. Olaf Lutheran Cemetery.

Blessed be his memory.            www.czaplewskifuneralhomes.com

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic