This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Ferguson Gurus on here,,,?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Ferguson Gurus on here,,,?
    Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 7:02pm

I took on a suppossedly short term project on a 1951 TO20 Ferguson with the Z120 4 cylinder and come up on a puzzler on the rod bearing caps. Always on other engines especially them SBC's the tabs or "lip" on the bearings have been on SAME side of the rod. The rod and the cap having a "notch" that dictates how the bearings go on the rods, and caps. On this ferguson engine I installed the rod caps on the rods with the tabs (Lip) on same side of the rod  but the dang crank became very hard to turn,! I loosened the 3 mains and started looking for info on correct oreintation of the rod caps on the rods. Here is a paragraph I find on the web. " Also, It may be helpful to note that the notches for the tongues of the liners must be on opposite sides of the shaft"  What does this MEAN??
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 5:44pm
I was under the impression that before a cap was separated from the rod that they needed marked so they were in correct orientation on reassembly.
Perhaps the caps need flipped 180 degrees and recheck
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 9:42pm
I think the NOTCHES are what you call the LIP...  The TONGUE is the part the the bearing that is sticking out and fits in the NOTCH... The LINER is the bearing as it "lines" the cap..

I think your on the right track, flip the caps so the LIPS are on opposite sides.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic