This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aluminum head spark plug change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aluminum head spark plug change
    Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:09am
Is it better to change spark plugs in a car with aluminum heads warm? Or would cold be better?

Edited by DougG - 21 Aug 2019 at 7:19am
Sponsored Links

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:59am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 8:13am
What happened to Champion Plugs? At one time they were good plugs, but they went down hill fast, somewhere around 1970.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 10:23am
Probably when they moved production off shore to China!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 10:28am
Little trick I learned, the hard way:

I ended up cross threading a plug in an aluminum head.  I was able to repair the hole without too much trouble because I didn't force it too far.  Anyway....From that day forward, I always start threading a plug by putting it in an old spark plug wire boot that I've cut off the wire.  It holds it tight enough to start threading, but will slip if it isn't threading in correctly.  Even helps you holding it for easier starting.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 10:49am
I had my local mechanic do my truck after reading HORROR stories about changing them, let alone you have to be an Olympic gymnast to do it !
I figured if HE screwed up, he'll fix PDQ as HIS hoist is MIA until my truck runs again ! As it was ,all 8 came out fine AND he fixed the exhaust bolts  at the same time.

Odds are real good I'll be dead and buried before truck needs another set done....
Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 11:23am
Wink As much as we like to say the old stuff is so much better...................some things well they ant so bad. This little Mazda (yes Mr Shameless a FORD) pickup the FIL gave my son who sent it my way. Angry At 100,000 it need a new transmission. It was a nice puting around truck getting 20+ mpg. Clap   Had a miss,Wink but not being a real Mr fix it like O'l Joe. An being real cheap,I said bet this thing has not new plugs in forever. Dang if I didn't guess that one right. There was no electrod left, it was burned off at 120,000. But dang it Cry still had  miss, a fuel injector had gone bad. But the worn out about twice plugs still made a spark. Clap  But how many sets of plugs to make that 60's Chevy get to 120,000 miles.LOLLOLLOL Sorry back to the real program.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 5:16pm
Also when you change the plugs on an alum. head it might be a good idea to put a recommended anti-seize on the plug.      Leon
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Little trick I learned, the hard way:

I ended up cross threading a plug in an aluminum head.  I was able to repair the hole without too much trouble because I didn't force it too far.  Anyway....From that day forward, I always start threading a plug by putting it in an old spark plug wire boot that I've cut off the wire.  It holds it tight enough to start threading, but will slip if it isn't threading in correctly.  Even helps you holding it for easier starting.

A length of vacuum hose, the size to fit over the wire contact of the SP is real handy, too.  Specially for those real hard to reach plugs, you can use a longer piece of hose, spin plug with right hand and guide plug into hole, with left, or vice versa, if you is a lefty...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 6:47pm
[QUOTE=Dusty MI]What happened to Champion Plugs? At one time they were good plugs, but they went down hill fast, somewhere around 1970.

Dodge Ram uses them in there trucks. I always replace what it took from the manufacturer. Get them from the dealer and says Mopar on them. Champion from the parts store.
30K plug change interval. 16 plugs on a Hemi.
I never have a problem with them.

Doesn't make any difference to me hot or cold for a plug change unless you are cooking some hide off.

Edited by fixer1958 - 21 Aug 2019 at 6:49pm
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:00pm
Only reason I ask this is on my Stratus one was terrible to get out,, started it up let it run a bit , got some heat in it and it back out smoothly,,
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 7:38am
Dang fixer, my Ford will go over three times that on  plug change.  Confused
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 3:03pm
That's recommended for those engines. I think they are copper core plugs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic