This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Power unit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Power unit
    Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 1:16am
Hello, I have a 649t power unit that has a inline pump. Was told it is a Simms pump and is the same engine in a M combine.  I need a turbo or a rebuild kit, it is worn out. The problem i am having with it is in attempting to start it all i get is smoke from not starting till i give it either, then it runs and quits. I just got it and it got moisture in one cyl from a cracked exhaust manifold. seems to have low compression. I can turn it over with some effort by the fan blades. How much compression should it have? I,m thinking it needs rings,sleeves or just new nozzles. over 3000 hrs on it. Kits are over 1000 $ Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links

D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 4:34pm
Gray smoke sounds like low compresion as it should start on it's own reguardless of the condition of the turbo. You shouldn't be able to turn a diesel through a compresion stroke unless it has lost a lot of compresion. IMO.
Karl View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 9:07am
Ya i,m afraid it has low compression. I did get it to run and it does not have a normal diesel exhaust. really dark black and oily. Gonna get a gasket set  and rings for it. After tear down see what else it may need. oh and then new, used or rebuilt turbo. alot of oil came from that so i removed it.  Thank sfor the info
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic