This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis F40 fork lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 7:58am
Jay,
 I just moved this first brake adjuster to the fully closed position. May have to work the brakes more to move it out to the final location. But I expect that will have to happen to get the brakes bled anyway. So the shoes should be at their smallest diameter and the drum/bull gear/wheel assembly should go on. With the weight at about 100 lbs I should be able to shim and slide the assembly on to the axle. Carl the forklift guy said most of the time these were assembled dry or with very minimal grease. I can see the reasons why. any grease in the bull gear teeth area can easily migrate on to the shoes. 
So will repack the bearings which look to be in good shape. and the pinion and bull gear will be left dry.
At this point I can see how the system goes together and functions and I dont have as many concerns. really glad I was able to find the components for the repairs. 
While I have the right wheel off I can also get to the pin for the end of the rod for the master cylinder. So this may come off now and be cleaned and prepped for the install of the new master cylinder too. Very tight area!
If you have not every worked on one of these its a real treat! Very confined areas is the biggest take away. The old 10 lbs of **** in a 5 lb bag comes to mind. These little machines are stout and have lots of heavy parts. I am gaining a new appreciation for the forklift work horse!
Humm wonder how I can straighten the back grill a little?? Its 1/2 inch plate! Just needs a little dent taken out, where someone smashed into something. 
Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Jan 2021 at 8:00am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 11:32am
'little dent'....hahahaha... I made an entire new grille cause there was NO way I could 'straighten out' my little dent.....

you might get lucky..
maybe cutout the dent, replace the section with new metal ?
block it up and then drive over it with forklift ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 2:06pm
Jay, Folks,
 I was thinking put the grill in the 30 ton press, and push it a little with some support blocks.
Did more blocking and tackling on the F40.
Some parts actually going back together. I need to find 4 of the rubber plugs to plug the holes in the backing plate. 

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 2:12pm
gee that stuff looks toooooo purdy to reassemble and USE !!!
Rubber plugs might be same (?) as the plugs for old car brake access ??

Sad thing is I have a master cylinder like that ,on the shelf, in a box.......sigh...
ps don't go heavy on tightening the 1/4-20 bolts !!!

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 2:21pm
Jay,
 Folks,
 Thanks! Sounds like the voice of experience there too! 
Yes the rubber brake plugs are the same as the plug at the brake adjuster hole on old drum brakes. I have to call around tomorrow and see if I can find any. I guess it would be ok with out them. Just trying to get things back in good working order.
I did get the pin out of the master cylinder adjusting rod. This was not easy and never would have been able to do it without the right wheel assembly and backer plate out of the way. Even then I was upside down on the floor trying to loosen a rusted pin and get a cotter pin out.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 18 Jan 2021 at 8:30pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 7:55pm
Folks,
 As Snowman says: Head down and keep moving. Spent the night in the shop cleaning and prepping components for re- assembly on the brakes for the F40. Also blew out the brake lines with compressed air. 
Master cylinder will go in first and get the linkage connected while the right wheel is off. 
Might also look at installing the tilt cylinders next because there might be room to get the hoses connected easier with the wheels off too?
Brake assembly might start tomorrow? Would be nice to be able to move this old girl some day too!
This poor old forklift was rode hard and put away wet too many times. Needs a serious steam cleaning bath! That would be a real good excuse to buy one!
Going to throw a splash of PO#! in there as a statement too!

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 8:26pm
Folks,
 An new adventure in Allis land here every day! Carl called me this morning and had been thinking about the seals that I told him were not correct. He challanged me and said they might be for the stub axle on the drive gear. Duhh! Yep pulled the left one and found both seals. Now to get them changed.
Left axle pulled The big outer seal is in the cast diamond plate just behind the drive gear.

The small seal is about 3 inches inside the housing. 

Carl came over and assisted on the first one, poking two holes in the old seal housing and putting in two long deck screws. Vice grips and a small pry started the seal out.

A swab of gasket cement , filled the seal with grease to retain the spring and used a socket to tap the seal into the home position. Yea while under there I chiseled off a couple gallons of crud!

Right side same drill. Carl noted that theses front tires are worn down about 1.5 inches per side. Would be nice to have new skins pressed on. Not sure that's going to happen!

Master cylinder installed, Could reach the clevis connection through the wheel area:

Left backer in place but need to get the rubber plugs for the slotted holes. Brake line attached to wheel cylinder:

Other that accidentally trying to cut the end of my finger off with a 2 inch hole saw, things went pretty well. Glad I found where these seals went and that I didnt throw them away!
Brake components ready to mount:

Regards,
 Chris

tdr View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:07pm
Just a friendly reminder, don't forget to pack the wheel bearings before reassembly unless you want to remove the wheel again. I got enjoy that lovely experience. I'm in the same boat, just keep moving forward.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 12:41pm
tdr, Folks,
Yes I have repacked the wheel bearings but am going to leave the bull gear basically dry, since any grease on that may get onto the brake shoes.
I tried to remove the bearings from the wheel axles but had no success. Wasnt really tooled up right so I dropped them off at the local machine shop for them to disassemble.

We did work on the grill and have it much better shape. Not that that means much in the whole scheme of things in life. Son Eric running the old 20 ton press.

I did get pricing on new rubber for the drive wheels 18 x 7 x 12.125 for the new pair installed for about $500. These would be the ones with the grooves in them rather than smooth. Doesn't seem too bad? Would like to do these if possible as the wheels are off at this time. 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Jan 2021 at 12:42pm
tdr View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:41pm
Sorry, I meant the jackshaft bearings. They are sealed on both sides, the left side of ours had a bad jackshaft, bullgear, and bearings.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:46pm
Allis folks,
Wonder I you can get these decals? Humm?
 Anyway some new bolts from TSC and presto change O the old grill is back on.

Backer plates on with the brake lines connected:

Tilt cylinders:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Jan 2021 at 7:49pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 2:27pm
Folks that might be interested in old forklifts,
Axle bearings dissambled so that I can get to the larger outside seal.

Bearings will be cleaned up and re-greased. New seal installed in the diamond shaped retainer. Then the bearings will be re-installed. These are a light press fit. They will not slip on the shaft, will require some pressure.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 3:34pm
sigh, everything you do ends up looking GREAT ! I see you even found them oval rubber hole plugs for the brake backing plates !!
one day, maybe, jes maybe, I'll kinda get 1/2 of one job, maybe 1/4 done..til them, I'll keep looking at your fine 'inspirational' pictures !

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:36pm
Folks,
 Jay, 
It only appears that I get something done. Most of it is smoke and mirrors and a coat of cheap paint here and there. I just kind of keep hittin at it a little each day. Not going to work allows me to run around and not do much for hours. Then bare down and work for a little while!Smile 
Temps are in the low 20's the temp in the shop was 35 ish. Had to keep moving in that temp for me.
I got the axles, bearing, double race, and the new seal installed. Plus the new shoes and springs.
I stopped at same old auto parts store that I got the 4 plugs from yesterday, Got a flap wheel to clean up the inside of the drums and also a old fashion brake tool for the springs. I used to have one. Maybe just cant remember where its at. Anyway it was way worth the money putting the springs back on the brake pads!

Still debating on the new rubber. A lot of money and I havent moved this thing more than a couple inches. The right thing to do is wait to see how runs and moves first. Could be some other major malfunction with this antique unit too.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:16pm
re: brake tool  Yeah, I got one ...'somewhere' too.... Instead of looking for an hour, or two, I just use a length of 'pull starter' cord...

re: rubber. Wait until summer. By then you'll have it 'back from the paint shop' and it'll deserve the new rubber. The final touch, so to speak.
But please ,don't post pictures of it mired in mud........ ! it IS an INDOOR unit.....
and yes, my 'outdoor' one does need a D-14 to 'help' it once(Ok, twice) a year.

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:07am
Jay,
 You know I am going to test on it. Its a good idea and the right thing to wait to see if some of the other 125 systems on it needs rebuilt! I was hoping those new tires might have enough traction to get it near the edged of the cliff! Then would just need a block on the throttle and over it would go. Would hate to have it get stuck right at the edge!Smile

So ok already no new tires! Going to slap these old ones on and work on the tilt cylinders today. If I got those on I would be really happy with the components. Then to bleed the brakes, that should be fun!

On a side note that jib crane really works nice to lift the 100 lb wheels up on the bench!
I used the flap wheel (80 grit) and the brake drums cleaned up very nice. 

By the way I may not have taken any pictures of them but the right shoes were very worn and both set were oil and grease soaked. "HGM forkilfts" were very good to work with and got me the parts quickly too. Very glad I took the time to replace the seals in the axles too. The rubber in the old axle seals was brittle and cracked. Was only 50 years old! They just dont make stuff to last.

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 21 Jan 2021 at 7:23am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:14am
ah, livin on the edge, welcome to my world. EVERY spring I try to move 'something, somewhere' on the lot and magically find the 'soft spot'. FL has a huge,heavy chain attached 24/7 that I snag onto D14 to pull FL out. I leave FL running, in gear,hop onto D14,yank,yank, yank, hop off D14,hop onto Fl and shutdown BEFORE it drives into D14. For some 'silly' reason I'm quite good at this.....
.hmm 58 days until I'l probably do it again.....

Edited by jaybmiller - 21 Jan 2021 at 7:15am

Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 5:52pm
Lookin good Chris. No the price on the tires doesn't seem too bad, allways nice to have new rubber
Ed
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 6:30pm
dang..helped guy next door, got a flat tire on the forklift. Left front, the one that weighs oh, 300-400#..
..anyone busy tomoorow morning around 6:30 ????
..crickets... do I hear crickets ????

sigh
At least the service shop said, bring it in ,should be done by noon, finger crossed...

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:04pm
Jay, Ed, Folks,
I think I am busy in the morning! Yea that's it! Be careful with that wheel! 
Ed, new rubber always good. Did you get done with the boats so you can detail the F50?

I put some paint on the wheels, I wanted cream color. My old paint cans did not work. I tried cub cadet yellow. I dont like this combo very well. Looks good if I would have one of those red clown noses!Smile

Regards,
 Chris
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 8:07am
Chris,
No, still working on boats, that's what I do for a living. Thought maybe it would slow down this season but I guess not. At this rate it will probably take me a year to get the old girl painted. Oh well. Can't say I like the paint combo on the well either, you"re right, does look like a clowns nose. Have fun!
Ed
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 3:04pm
Folks,
Jim came over and helped me get the wheels on and the brakes bled. Worked real good. Its been at least 40 years since either of us have bled drum brakes! With all new components this went very smooth. Slow, small, strokes to release some air in the lines, Then to the wheel cylinder bleeders. 
Used a deep well socket on a 3/8 drive for the bleeders and it worked very well!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Jan 2021 at 3:07pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 8:02pm
Folks,
 After a good nap, I went out and put on the right tilt cylinder. Like most of the other items it was a struggle.There just isnt any room to get in there and work on fittings.  I had new hydraulic hoses made 2 inches longer and it was just enough to get them on with the cylinder while it was turned a quarter turn and out of the rear clevis. Then installed the rear clevis pin and retainer cross pin. One down, one to go.
Regards,
 Chris

structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:03am
Hey Chris!  Can't imagine how to replace those tires.  Or how they even lock down.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:54am
should be real easy...
undo 3 bolts, and teh 2 halves of the rim come apart,tire comes off.....
think 'bolt together 2 wheel dolly wheels'.......

unlike the old skool 'split rims' I have to deal with.....sigh....
FIRST get the tire/rim OFF the hub...

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:55pm
Humm,
I was under the impression these were a ring of steel with the elastomeric solid rubber tire vulcanized to the outside of that ring? I believe they may press the old one off while pressing the new on on?? I could be all wrong on that? 
Anyway the plan at this time is to get it up running again and see what breaks next! I got the tilt cylinders and new hoses on between yesterday and today. 

Greased the fittings I could see,

Here is the yokes attached to the mastl

Floor plates in and back out:

I want to try to get the neutral safety feature working if possible??

More hydraulic fluid required, and than may crank it up tomorrow?
Regards,
 Chris

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 12:53am
Looking good Chris, congrats on your progress, you are very good at sticking with your projects and getting them done!!
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 8:35am
Eric, Folks,
 Thanks! This different machine has been a good learning experience. I was going to say that I did not expect as many issues, but most things this old that I buy have some issues. Stay tuned for the next thing that happens with the old F40 forklift project. 

I checked all the brake connections for leaks, dont see anything and have half a pedal left. So that seems to be in much better condition than when we found it.
Will try to start it today and work the hydraulics, inspecting the tilt cylinders and hoses too.

I was very fortunate to find a local guy that could come by and spend some time working on it with me. (He only charged me about $5 per hour.) 

Now if the tranny goes or the engine blows, well we will burn that bridge when we get to it!Smile

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 24 Jan 2021 at 8:42am
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 8:41am
Very nice work as always, between my instigating buddies and your posts, I'm sure I need a small forklift sooner than later :)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 8:51am
Strokendiesel002,
 Having never run one of these machines in my life, I am a little hesitant. But that too will pass. Also have not had a loader type tractor of any kind except for the IH TD6 which I just sold. It was not something you could rely on as it drifted down really bad. I think being a AC machine and being threatened to scrap it was why I though I would give it a go and try to save another piece of Allis stuff.
Time will tell. I already probably have more into it that it is worth? That's pretty typical of most of my projects too. 
I would suggest you find one maybe in working order. Yea do as I say not as I do!
Regards,
 Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic