This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis F40 fork lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 7:38am
John,
Thanks! Yes this is cork. It is just out of shape a little. It will be fine when I get it tacked down with some gasket adhesive to the valve cover.
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 8:14am
Chris,
Yes she drives up on the ramps, leave your forks on, the extra weight up front helps for traction. 69? can't even remember when I was 69. Happy Birthday
Ed
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 12:37pm
I saw a neat trick on a Jeep web site where they used a few plastic inserts for holding screws in dry wall in a few bolt holes to hold the gasket in place while replacing the valve cover. After the cover is in place, start a few bolts and then remove the plastic inserts.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 1:07pm
Happy Birthday Chris! I hope you got some cake and ice cream to go with those lovely cookies from the other day (maybe they're all gone by now). You're really making progress with your project! Clap
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 1:12pm
Ed, the pictures of your CLEAN forklift are like medicine to me... it's almost like entering the world of imagination, to make old iron clean like that is no easy accomplishment but makes one feel so so good to look at!!!!! Thank you!!
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 2:26pm
  Hope you had a great Birthday Chris, you will get that fork lift running like new yet
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 2:26pm
Eric, 
Ed's fork lift cleanliness is a real issue, every time I look at my dirty one! 
Took my grill off, blew out the dust and debris in the rad fins. Drained the radiator.

Rerouted the hose that used to go through the propane regulator it was too close to the exhaust manifold.

Regards,
Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 2:54pm
Guys,
Thanks on the old thing! Keeps happening each year about this time!Smile
Regards,
 Chris
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 2:59pm
Thanks Chris. Well here is some more motivation. Since I put so much money into this thing in the last couple of weeks, decided I better start with some paint work. Got the counter weight sanded and painted, will do a little at a time i guess, got to get back to boat repairs.
Have fun
Ed
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 3:08pm
Ed,
Dang it! I thought in that one picture you put some paint under the seat area. Have to ask. What did your F50 look like when you got it? For some reason I feel it may have been very well cared for?? Or you have put some real quality time into your unit? We need some pictures of your progress, either here or in your thread too.
Yea you prompted me to get these tilt cylinders repaired. Not cheap, but should be good for a long time! Off to NAPA to get some crows feet wrenches for reaching the hose connections.
Regards,
Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 6:31pm
Folks,
Not very ambitious today on anything! Took the right front corner guard off straightened it and welded a broken clip back on. It will fit like it should now. Real nice to wheel the Mig welder over to the job too. 

I did get the master cylinder off. Yea its for sure junk. All rusted up inside the bore. But it looks like I may have to get this rig safely up on blocks to do some work from underneath to get the pin out of the brake clevis.  Humm Not running and no brakes this should be fun!
If I do figure out how to get it up in the air it may aid in installing the tilt cylinders too.
Regards,
 Chris

JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 12:28am
You need a bigger fork lift to raise it up!

Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 8:08am
Chris, Yes I did paint the area under the seat when I replaced the seat ($60.00) on ebay. My machine is supposed to be an ACC50?. Yes I have done a lot of cleaning on her in the 15 years that I have had it. Not one that likes trashed out equipment.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 8:10am
Folks,
Was just watching Wes (youtube) work on a Clark doing brakes. How the heck do I get myself into this stuff. I am sure my old Allis is as bad or worse than anything out there. 
Good to watch someone getting into these. Amazing how much stuff is packed into one of these forklifts! Tight quarters for sure!
Wes mentions several times the massive amounts of money these can consume too! I would tend to agree with that, and I haven't gotten very deep. 
Hummmmm? Next move is trying to get a master cylinder. Just ordered the master cylinder off e-bay $50. We will see. I am sure that is the tip of the iceberg regarding brakes! My guess is that the wheel cylinders are junk too! Its old, I need to keep my expectations real low!
 Off to see If I can do something productive!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 06 Jan 2021 at 8:22am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 9:13am
'while it's apart'......
change the fan belt with whatever size puts the alternator a little less than 1/2 of the arc used up. That way when it 'ages' ,you'll have some adjustment...
 You'll understand WHY I say now.... as the first step is remove that big HEAVY castiron weight under the rad, THEN unbolt and pull out the hydraulic pump, THEN wrangle the old belt off.....

as for brakes...
I welded up a frame similar to the ones drywall and brick delivery trucks have. It supports the tire/rim/brakedrum/fina drive HEAVY chunk during remove/replace. If you jig it just right the chunk comes out.goes in EASY. My 'chunk' weighs about 350# or more... I suspend the 'frame' on a chain hoist on an overhead beam whicj reminds me I gotta find a few more 'links' for that one...

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 12:57pm
Chris, as for raising up your forklift... what I did was making enough of a bracket (heavy duty) to grab at the hitch in the back, stepped up high enough to slip a little jack under and up you go, put some blocking where you gain height... more 2x6 pcs under the jack and soon the jack fits under the fork lift and away you go. I had a bracket also to work in the side holes further up front to accommodate the jack along side. I'm sure you get the idea. Safe blocking at all times is paramount as your life is in danger otherwise, while working underneath. If I could only find the bracket and post a picture of it I would. I haven't had a forklift now for 7-8 years.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 7:02pm
Guys,
 Thanks!

F40 Brake work continues.
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 7:14am
Folks,
 Brake parts are here minus 2 seals. Got to get this project moving again.
 Regards,
 Chris
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 7:30am
Looks like you're having fun Chris. Looking good!
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 8:35am
WOW ,thought Chris' had  stolen pictures of MY FL brake job ! Then noticed the itty bitty wheels....hehehe. Everything else looks the same, even the 'selfadjusting' brake shoe bars. I downloaded a manual(not exctly my FL,naturally) but same parts, had 'how to setup' those  bars. I got one good, other a wee bit to 'tight',so left wheel locks up hard. Not really a big deal as I seldom go on the highway.....
'fun' part when reinstalling, is to get tire/rim/drum 'unit'onto the axle cause you HAVE to rotate it a wee bit to get the bullgear to mesh with the pinion. hint: Make whatever 'jig' you need to get the 'unit' 90* to axle, both ways...then it'll slide in real easy.
Also when installing the brake lines have them slope downward towards the wheel cylinders, that way bubbles WILL eventually get back to master cylinder and disappear. My arms weren't long enough, so I got pedal 'hard', blocked it, left overnight...been fine ever since.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 6:05pm
Folks,
 Yea pretty ugly in there. Worse that WD series brakes if that is possible! Haven't gotten the old wheel cylinders off yet, or the  brake line. I dont have the unit very far off the ground, and not sure I can get under there to take things apart? Will get it just may not be pretty! Found HGM forklifts from Georgia on line. Talked to Wayne. He helped me order the brake parts and that came in 2 days!
Thanks for the support!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 5:47pm
Folks,
Spent some time cleaning and inspecting brake components and wheel bearings. I used the Dayton hoist to lift the 100 lb wheel to the work table for clean up.

Took the backing plate off and it was easy to get to the brake line to remove it:

My Uncle Jack's restored Yost vise seems right at home holding parts for me too. It is very smooth.

Regards,
 Chris

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 7:11pm
Wow Chris, you're good at this stuff!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 7:49pm
too clean !!! I can READ the part number on the bullgear section !!! Not fair, foul, time out...go to the penalty room (aka LOFT ) for 10 minutes...hehehehe
You sure are dedicated to A project.....sigh, somehow I fumble 3,4,10 projects at once ,never seem to get any done.
be sure to take pictures of the automatic brake adjusters BEFORE you take them apart and try not to lose the plastic washers. You'll need a in-oz torque wrench to properly rebuild them.....

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 8:07pm
Eric, Jay, Folks,
 I dont think of myself as a clean nut. This machine like other old units had a good layer of protective crust combined with more layers of grease and dirt. My mission is to get it apart if possible without breaking too many items. Clean it up and make it better and hopefully somewhat functional too. We will see how that works out. 
I am at a sever disadvantage without a service book for this. So just winging it! 

I thought a lot about getting the wheel cylinder off for a day or two. Its attachment bolts and the line are blind behind this plate. Tonight I realized that the backing plate came off. Duhhhh! Once I took that off it was easy to get to the brake line removed and then move the backer plate to the vice to remove the junk wheel cylinder.

One thing I do have is a helper/ expert, Carl the forklift guy! I can call and he can help over the phone or stop by and guide me. Just today he warned me about the brake adjusters, as Jay mentioned they are very special, and only a few folks in the world know the secret combination to making the brake adjusters work!

So tonight we rest and think good thoughts about the old F40 forklift. 

We now have way more money into it than we could ever get out of it. Many hours to get it back together and no real plans to clean it up anymore at this time. I think I will blame Snowman and his super clean F50 for getting me into this old Allis forklift project!

Perfect!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Jan 2021 at 8:21pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 8:19pm
Jay, 
 Thanks for the brake data!
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Eric B Eric B wrote:

Wow Chris, you're good at this stuff!!

Eric,
 Probably more stubborn than good, but thank you for the support and encouragement! I will learn some things on this F40.
Regards,
 Chris
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:02am
Chris,
Ok I'll take the blame. Looking good on the work that you have completed. I take it the christmas cookies are all gone? I had purchased a few parts from HGM, but found forkliftpartssupply.com easier to work with and cheaper on parts. Also seemed to have more of the stuff I was looking for. Head down pushing foreward.
Ed
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:09pm
Snowman,
 Thanks for the support and the tip for parts. Had good service so far from HGM (Wayne).
Did get wrong seals for axle. too small wont fit my machine they are for a machine with no bull gear system. If anyone needs them I will send to them for the shipping cost.
Got the right side wheel off and the brake system striped down. 

Wheel cylinders were toast as I expected:

Bull gear pinion:

lots of dirty/ greasy/ rusty parts as expected:

Here is the adjuster shortened, and the new shoes:

Brake backing plate and brake cover plate looking just a tad better. No magic here!

More brake component cleaning and then can start re-assembly and bleeding. I want to blow out the lines before I hook them back up. To get out any strange stuff.
 Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:51pm
Be sure to measure the brake drum diameter, subtract 1/4" and use that number to set the 'adjuster' so new shoes fit INSIDE the drum....even 3/8" less is good. You need them 'smaller' so you can 'wiggle' the tire/drum unit back on cause the bullgear  has to mesh with the pinion. Good news is yours are 1/3rd the weight of what mine are...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic