This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis F40 fork lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 4:29pm
Hopefully the light isn't coming through the roof!
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

re: Starting to see some light though. 

hmm.. did you replace a window or just wash it ???LOL

I've got LOTS of 1/4dun projects, list longer than my arms....sigh...

Reminds me of a story one of my neighbors told me about Someone else, in the neighborhood, you know, the soandso's.  Every neighborhood has some soandso's...

Anyway, Mr soandso was having a problem reading the evening papers, said them new-fangled 'lectric lights was too dim to read by, so he calls up the 'lectric co, to complain, they sends out a repairman to check, he comes outta the house, wif a light bulb, takes it over to the pump, pumps up a bucket of water, and proceeds to wash the bulb.  Mr soandso has a puzzled look on his face, as he hands him the bulb back, repairman sez, if you put screens on da windows, flies won't sh!t up the bulbs!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:32am
Y'all must've been by my place?!
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 6:38pm
Where did everybody go?
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 5:52am
Snowman,
 Maple syrup has gotten in the way. 

Each time I go to start the F40 it starts, it moves, it lifts it stops! It is setting aside in the shop being a good little machine. It is very happy to have a new home and a new lease on life. As the neighbor was going to send it to the scrap yard. I sunk a bunch of money in it but hoping it will be a useful tool for the shop! 

We need pictures of your F50 resto!

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 7:21am
'LilYellow' needs the rear rims painted...
when (hehehe) you have some free time........
saps gotta be flowing good today !!!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 8:04pm
Jay,
 I just got my head above the sap finally! Missed your post.
I fired up the F40 today and moved some steel panels and a pallet of styrofoam, so I could get to my summer truck tires. The little F40 starts good on gas just needs to run on about 1/2 choke. I really haven't played with anything on the carb and have not done the needed tune up either. Has the normal Allis leak to mark its territory. Have the new front tires on the list oif things to do but the funds are currently going towards materials for the interior walls of the shop. Which I estimate might be done sometime in July!
I plan to use the F40 to unload, and move, steel and massive amounts of wood also.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 5:51am
well you've got your priorites right...
'make syrup while the saps flowing', kinda like the 'hay' line......
dang it was cold here this morning...37*F, so I NEED 1/2 choke as well to run !!
Sounds like August will be your time to relax and organize the shop,lucky guy.....
..I'm thinking I'll be 'finding a good home' for my stuff next door about then....
oh well....have fun and be safe
Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 7:31am
Jay, Folks,
Was thinking I should probably sell some toys! Maybe the D17 should go down the road?
Yes August I should be able to set down and have a frosty beverage!
Haven't heard from Snowman and his nice F50 on here. He must be totally jammed with boat work? Tis that time of the year.
I have a stack of steel liner panels to pick up this week for the wainscoting in the shop. Hoping the little F40 is up to the task for unloading. Also all the inside trim. Snow stop and double angle trim, plus more J channel too. Kind of weird trimming the inside of the building in steel. But I am pretty weird so I guess it all makes sense.
I have been pretty happy with the F40 so far. I am not a good operator yet, so I go pretty slow and easy. Haven't smashed anything yet!
My neighbor that sold it to me, ask if I wanted to sell it, he was interested!:)
Thanks for checking on me.
I need a working Allis beer fridge!
Regards,
 Chris

Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 7:01pm
Chris,
glad to hear you are finding some uses for the forklift. Yes, it has been stupid busy with boats. Had to replace the starter in mine this week. She,s being a good girl now.
Stay healthy,
Ed
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 2:41am
Folks,
 Got a bug and took this seat back to local shop. He does really nice work. He replaced the wood, painted the brackets and added stainless screws. Makes me want to get the seat base done too. Don't spend that much time on it, but it looked ratty, and everyone that comes in sees it!

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 May 2021 at 2:42am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 5:46am
yep...it's a 'domino project'...jes like ALL of mine...
while the seat base is being redone..
..clean,prep, paint the seat mtg base
..clean ,prep, paint the forklift top there.
..clean,prep paint the grille by your shins..
..yeah, do the side weights while yer there....
best do the rear rims too.......
hehehe
same up here...
decided I NEED to add 7 Way RV powerplug on D-14 'Troy' to recharge dump trailer battery while using trailer. After 5 hrs seat time...load,haul,dump,load,haul dump.....more on Monday.
sigh..no end of projects......
oh yeah, wife cleaned toaster(power cord still in wall, NOW it don't work..
nuther domino

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 9:30am
Jay,
 Folks,
 Around here I have to restore a screw driver before I can use it! 
Yea I thought the same thing about the forklift and a refurb clean and paint project, Maybe someday?? 
 I have this itch to change it back to propane for some reason? It is kind of smokey when running on gas? Maybe it would be less on propane?? Maybe the engine is tired and just burning oil?? Maybe I need to tune it up and time it for gas? Or adjust the carb??
Anyway it sets with a new seat back. Which really looks nice by the way. This local upholstery shop is a one man show and he does nice work!
Regards,
 Chris

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 11:24am
Chris, you make a very good point about the seat looking good. It sets the 'tone' for your rig and how we feel when we approach our piece of equipment is very important. When you go to sell a tractor don't even think of a successful sale with a ratty looking seat. First impressions are very critical. Tires and wheels are another determining factor in how you form your image of the overall 'status' of what you're looking at. That's why Jay mentions painting wheels Wink. Chris, don't allow yourself to think we're picking on your progress :)
That backrest looks great! 
You mention stinky exhaust... one F40 I had, had a dirty exhaust problem which was reduced by 90% after removing excess restriction from the air cleaner/filter, no doubt the engine was starting to get tired. 
Keep on trucking... 'lift trucking' that is LOL
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 11:37am
re: Around here I have to restore a screw driver before I can use it!
hahaha

I have to FIND the screwdriver, and by the time I do, I'm wonder WHAT do I need this for ..........
sigh

gettin old is fun...

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 2:26pm
[QUOTE=jaybmiller]
re: Around here I have to restore a screw driver before I can use it!
hahaha

I have to FIND the screwdriver, and by the time I do, I'm wonder WHAT do I need this for ..........
sigh

gettin old is fun...

And when you find the screw driver you found the last job with it wasn't finished and when you finish that job you don't remember why you was looking for the screw driver

Edited by tadams(OH) - 08 May 2021 at 2:26pm
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:44pm
Chris, guys
Just checking in. Yep, the seat looks a lot better. I bought a complete one with track for $60.00. Feel a lot nicer to sit on. Did some more paint work At this rate will take years to finish? Was going to post a picture but guess I forgot how
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:48pm
OK, dumbass figured it out
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:50pm
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:51pm
Sort of
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 3:00pm
Chris, I run 4 qts of Shell rotella T-4 and 1 qt of Lucas oil stabilizer in mine, found that it reduced the smoking a lot. Good luck
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 6:10am
Snowman,
 Darn that is getting to look really Good! Nice work scrubbing and painting the counter weight. 
Appreciate the info on the oil too. 
Share the paint type and color. Is it close to what the original was? Don't know if mine will ever look that good, but there is hope. Just need lots of money and much more time!
Thanks for the pictures too. 
Boat season peak must have past?
I sure do like my F40 in (our) shop! Will be using it to move hemlock around soon too.
Have my gas tank to mount and other things still to do on mine. Easily distracted with new toys!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 Jun 2021 at 7:08pm
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 2:17pm
The paint is CAT yellow. Bought it at a hardware store by me. No it does not match original color. Original was more of a mustard color. Still working on boats. I stopped getting notifications from the web site?  Didn't know any one was posting. Stay healthy
LHENRY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHENRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 3:31pm
Hello. I have a allis chalmers f40 forklift, it has the wrong battery in it has the wrong battery in it now, can someone tell me the correct battery size for it?
LHENRY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHENRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 5:52am

Edited by LHENRY - 01 Mar 2022 at 5:53am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 6:51am
don't know about 'right', but the biggest that fits onto the cradle is 'right'.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 5:38pm
LHENRY,
I would agree with Jay. If it fits in the box it should work fine.
 Good luck with you forklift.
Regards,
 Chris
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 7:04pm
Chris-  I didn't see any resolution to the chokey-smokey notes, but if you haven't YET... please check the point gap and ignition timing.  When running gaseous fuels, the amount of spark advance is different, to accomodate fuel flame rates... if it's still running at propane timing, you're in for a substantial improvement.

Small, and Tiny forklifts in the shop are fantastic... especially if you can pop the forks off, and put an overhead hook on them.  Some guys take the backstop off and use the forks as the hook, which works, but guys then use the forks without a backstop (please don't) so that they don't hit overhead obstructions. 

Doesn't matter if you're experienced, or new- the best way to operate a forklift, is slow, gentle, and careful.  Never forget that you have a heavy object hanging on the forks, and another heavy object hanging in front of the radiator... small as it may be, it is VERY heavy, and going over a pet, a child, or a foot, will be very, very permanent... and bumping into a wall, or vehicle, or piano, no matter how gently, will leave a very greasy impression on those objects, after they're shoved to one side.LOL

(who let that dumb spammer {ASP] in up there?)
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 4:52am
Dave,
 Time will tell if he is a spamer or a great Allis Forklift guy.
 Your thoughts on the timing and point gap may be right on the money! I have never done a tune up on this forklift. I really need to dig into that and if that solved half of the problem with the "old smokey syndrom" I would be happy. I mean she is really bad!
So I need the correct plugs, points and the timing info. Where do I go to get that except maybe here or trial and error??
Regards,
 Chris

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 7:08am
If you were ME, you'd just make sure the distributor shaft isn't sloppy, then dial the advance up about 4 degrees, then try it, and see how it responds.  Typically, a gaseous (NG/Propane) application will run about 5 degrees LESS advance than liquid fuel.

Reason... On a GOOD day, liquid fuel (gasoline) comes into the chamber only about half vaporized.  That means, when the mixture is first touched off, the part which has evaporated AND mixed with air (it can be evaporated, but NOT aereated) will burn, and generate heat and pressure, which stirs up and improves evap of the rest.  This kinda slows the whole flame-front down a bit... and of course, some doesn't get evaporated, so it goes out the exhaust valves.

Remember how, in the distillate fuel (kerosene) setups, the fuel gets heated?  It's heavier, and doesn't evaporate as well, so they preheat the fuel to help it evaporate.

Natural gas doesn't come to us in liquid format, and propane evaporates either in the tank (gaseous withdrawl) or in the evaporator (the big round thing just downstream of the tank with the water hoses that you took off), so it doesn't need this.

I suspect that, with the timing being a bit too advanced, she's probably not getting the flame far enough, fast enough, to burn clean.

Road gaseous engines with mechanical and vacuum advance sometimes have different advance curves for similar reasons, but your forklift probably doesn't have it, it's probably all-out just above idle... or possibly BEFORE idle (meaning, it's retarded just for starting, and once running, it's all-out).  Either way, if it DOES have an advance mech, make sure it ain't stuck.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic