This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis F40 fork lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis F40 fork lift
    Posted: 02 May 2020 at 7:49pm
Folks my neighbor has a F40 Allis-Chalmers fork lift that he is going to sell or scrap. I told him I want to look it over and have a chance at buying it. Not that I really need another project. But its not a tractor so I might be able to get it in under the radar?
It currently does not run and has no brakes. 
It is a 4000 lb lift, has two sets of forks.
Here are some not so good pictures. 

tag did not come out well:

He is asking $500. Distance is not a issue I could drive it home. It looks like it needs lots of love. Are they money pits? I know absolutely nothing about them. Tell me the good the bad and the ugly? He said I could try to get it running. But where do I start? He said it had spark? It did roll over. 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 9:43pm
I am not going to be any help on this, but I sure think that it would be handy for lifting things up into storage/shelving in your new building!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
PaulRoidt(WI) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRoidt(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 7:43am
Have owned older F40-24 for  many years, although they are the older models that have a manual clutch.  If you were confident that is ran and drove correctly when parked I think it would be a good deal.  I paid $1100 plus $130 to get it loaded on the trailer for the last one I bought.  The forklift was on a dock so had to hire a roll back to get it off the dock.  The G153 engine is a good engine.

Paul

Edited by PaulRoidt(WI) - 03 May 2020 at 7:44am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 7:59am
Thanks guys,
May try to get it started. Also may check with Sandy Lake to see it they have any info on trouble shooting getting one of these running?
Friend Matt (IH) is going to come over and help me try to get it running. If it works I may add it to the collection. 
Concerned about the brakes too! Minor details!:)
John, Yes I have visions of it doing work in a new shop too!
 Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 3:09pm
That is a good deal, you can't go wrong at that price. The brakes may just be low on brake fluid, you can take your time fixing a slow fluid leak later. Having had two of these 40's myself I think they are a very good size and model. I've had many forklifts over the years but I always liked these 40's the best.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 1:14pm
Folks,
 Any great ideas / pictures on getting something into the manifold like carb cleaner, to see if it will fire on that? I really dont have much idea about the propane regulator system?
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 May 2020 at 1:14pm
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:03pm
If you are really baffled over the propane system just stick a gasoline carb on there with a little gas tank and way you go. For propane systems that have been unused for a long time you get sticky plungers and valves with corroding pot metal. I had this go around with a Clark forklift some years back. It took me a long time before I went through the different components and got it running right... if you wish for more tips you can let me know. 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:43pm
Is it that simple just to change to a gas carb?
Humm I may look at it again.
Regards,
Chris
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:52pm
Yep... once she sniffs good old gasoline she's up and running. You may need to adjust the timing to better suit gasoline.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:39pm
Eric, 
Any idea what gas carb might work on this animal?
Regards,
 Chris
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:38pm
I would think if you had a carb from an Allis 149 cu. in. it should be a good match. I'm not sure of the stud spacing on the Buda intake... I would think it's the same as on the small Allis 4 cylinders. Be sure to let us know how you make out. You can get the propane to work too. In principle it's cleaning the movable parts inside - lock-off, regulator, mixer and carb. It may only be one thing to fix but sometimes it's several. Condensation gets trapped inside the system and that's the recipe for malfunction when parked for extended time.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 10:35am
Eric,
 Thanks for the hints and tips! Another potential project!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 1:25pm
Folks,
Finally found this thread again and will begin to look at issues with this unit, which is now in my shop.
The propane tank reads empty when on the machine, but 50% when off and vertical. I learned that the tank has to be orientated properly on the forklift to get the dip tube in the right position. 
Also added a inline spark checker and I did have spark when it was rolling over.
Sure looks like it is need of a tune up. I need to see if i can find the cap, points, rotor, condenser and a new set of wires. It might run without a tune up but they look really crusty.

After a battery charge the engine cranks over. Do I need to do something special to the controls? I know nothing about these! Little steps!Smile Since I have some spark and I think it has compression My best guess is fuel issue.

Regards,
 Chris

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 3:25pm
yeesh, floors going to get dirty when you clean it !!!
BTW do NOT drive it outside.... if you have to ask, OK, go ahead do it, THEN you'll KNOW why........
every year I get mine,um, kinda, sorta 'stuck' and it has BIG tires on it....

looks like a fun project though and they are very very useful ! I loaded a sled onto a trailer today, made $10 !
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 5:49pm
With propane carbs, theres a regulator, and It has little vent holes in it, that mud-dubbing hole spiders like to stop up!  That's where I'd start...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 5:55pm
Jay,
 Yes I realize this is not a outside unit.  I dont have a clue what I might doo with it? But several times when I was swapping rear wheels on a WD series, it might have come in really handy, and much safer!
Much like my other toys, handy, not necessary. 

The floor: Well I plan on using the building. Not going to abuse it. I do have diapers under all the tractors!Smile That OH door package material is a perfect size.

Just got the wide front WD in for the night. But my D17 needs to come home this week and get in the shed too. 

So I tried this forklift several times and it almost acted like it tried to fire once or twice. There may be hope for it yet. Neighbor was going to send it to the scrap yard. Wait maybe he did send it to the scrap yard next door!
Wished I would have got a picture of him backing up  his skid steer, pulling me backwards on the fork lift down the road! 

Regards,
 Chris 

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Nov 2020 at 3:41pm
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 7:10pm
I think that unit will be a good machine for you.  They don't like soft ground or even soft gravel very much!  If it has good compression it should run.  Did you try putting a bit of oil in each cylinder to help build compression?  If he was going to scrap it, I have a hard time believing he could get more then a couple hundred bucks, plus the cost of taking it to the the scrapyard.  Just my opinion.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 2:26pm
I see more cement outside so the fork lift can get around better.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 4:05pm
John tadams, Folks,
Agreed the scrap value maybe a couple hundred dollars. Hoping I can get it to run. Just calling around to try and get info. Pretty sketchy at best. Several contacts from Brenda at Sandy Lake. 
Pulled a plug and they are Champions. Not my favorite!
I see a fitting at the back of the carb/ mixer that is not hooked up to any thing and looks like a steel line like a vaccume line should be attached there?? It doesn't seem to be plugged off. So I assume it is open into the carb/ mixer. I did not see a place that a line might connect yet. Still learning!

Regards,
 Chris

ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 4:23pm
Pulled a plug and they are Champions. Not my favorite!
 Champions at one time were the factory installed plug. 

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 7:12pm
ACJack,Folks,
 My Dad went through thousands of Champion J8 plugs in WD series tractors! This one from the forklift looked good and the one I pulled had good spark. It is back in there but still no start. Seems to be a fuel issue? More work to do in that area. I believe this maybe a 1972 vintage machine. And I think after talking with a service tech that it may have been a dual fuel system?? I removed the open fitting at the back of the carb and put in a small brass pipe plug to close that off. Attached the air cleaner hose with a clamp and still no start. 
Cracked the propane line going into the solenoid valve and had pressure there. 
Still not comfortable with the whole propane thing yet. More to learn I guess.
Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 8:00pm
I think I'd take the cover off the regulator and see what the insides look like, could be gummed up, then do the carb.  If that doesn't work, I'm sure someone will come up with something else to try!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 8:06pm
John,
 Thanks for the support. My understanding is parts for these could be hard to get? At this time I am a little gun shy on things like gaskets or diaphragms? 
Regards,
 Chris 
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 12:48pm
Most Propane Carburetors can be rebuilt. I've done a few off of Hyster's equipped with a continental flathead F226 or 227. Just need to find the tag on the unit and you're good to go. If that engine ran on Propane all its life, its probably super clean inside. Changing it over to gasoline wouldn't be a problem either. Plenty of forklift outfits out there to get parts from. Some parts aren't cheap, but it wouldn't take much to flip it over to gasoline..
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 5:59pm
Steve, Folks,
 Thanks, More research and some work and learning along the way too.
Couple of things. I have really never learned much about LPG. So today I took my tank off the F40 and went to a local guy that fills tanks. He hefted the tank and said yep there is still fuel in there. I told him I was not getting anything but compressed gas from the tank. Humm? He screwed on a fitting and opened the valve. Liquid propane should have come out. (white cold frosty), nothing! Looks like bad valve on the tank! He let me borrow his spare tank. I tried it and had propane to the solenoid. Wasnt sure if the solenoid was working so disconnected that and rewired to try. Yes it worked, opened with the key on, and allowed liquid propane to pass through. I then took the diaphragm assembly off the forklift and proceed to take the covers off and carefully remove the gaskets and diaphragms. I found nothing broken or damaged. But one small diaphragm off to the side looks like it should have 3 wires to it and there is nothing. Looks like a very small plunger ore electromagnet moves the small diaphragm???
Done for the night!
If any one has suggestions to move this over to gasoline please advise. I may get it on propane but may take a while!Smile
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 May 2021 at 9:34am
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:39am
It is common if a propane forklift has sat around unused for an extended time that some of the plungers, moving in and out by the diaphragms, tend to seize up. I had one that was really bad like that, I had to go through each component to get everything working like it should. Condensation left in the system while not in use is the main contributing factor to this problem. Once you get the idea of what is supposed to function at each point in the system it won't take long to correct.
I found my F40's were great running on packed gravel surfaces. Go easy on the throttle, never steer sharp, never allow it to start synchronized side-ways rocking or you'll be stuck in short order.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 7:14am
Eric B, Folks,
Thanks for the support! I think I have all the internal components free and moving and one of the arms that allows LPG to enter was pretty gummed up. I cleaned and removed any sticky materials  blew out all the passages and reassembled.
What I have not figured out is the actual how the regulator works and what is is missing if anything to make the regulator system function as it is supposed to. 
I am wondering since I am this close to the carb/ mixer if I should remove and clean it too? 
Still interested in the dual fuel change over process if anyone can share info? 
I did get a call from Dan at Sycamore Industries and they do not have any literature on these. I need to try JJ Clark. Not sure if this is the same as Clark fork lifts??
Going to learn some more about this machine!
 Weather is beautiful here today!

Regards,
 Chris

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 9:32am
propane vaporizier is not hard or expensive to repair.    i cannot imagine going without a forklift agian , brakes probly just need to be cleaned adjusted and bleed and maybe a master cylinder 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 11:25am
HudCo.
 Thanks! I am kind of excited about getting this running. Like a lot of things this looks to have been neglected and or maybe rigged up a little. I know nothing about the brakes but found the master cyl. Will have to look at that if I get it started. Off to the propane expert to have him look at my regulator/s

The red stepped plastic looks like it maybe had wires screwed into it?? I have no clue yet. Except that is a electro-mechanical device with now wires going to it? Not sure how important that is? But they dont usually add stuff just for fun!Smile
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 9:30pm
Folks,
 I bite the bullet and took the carb off. On one hand I am glad I did, on the other not so much. It needs parts.
So it is marked Bendix Zenith Numbers on the tag 
K3-1
13596A
4516566-2
So the story is like this. I have never seen a carb so dirity on the outside!
And I have never seen one this dirty on the inside either. So it needed cleaned.
I really dont know how this thing ran at all? Maybe it didnt??
After much cleaning and scrubbing. I began to take it apart.

This is where the propane comes into the air stream (air cleaner hose) Near carb.

This was the first cap to come off the bottom of the carb. Not sure what this does? Maybe part of the LP system???

Float is junk: cracked and caved in:

Found this acorn shell in there, plus several pieces of mouse bait.

Yes that is the rusted and dirty needle valve!

Mr yuk in here too:

General clean up and regroup tomorrow:

Maybe Steve in NJ can provide some info? I think this could go either way. For some reason I am leaning towards gas. Probably only because I am more familiar with that. 
So could I just find a gas carb and put on this??

Regards,
 Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic