This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers WD will NOT run HELP (UPDATE)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmall M Beginner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers WD will NOT run HELP (UPDATE)
    Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 10:48pm
I got the WD timed again and I think I found why it doesn't run right, if you look at the video you can see a exhaust leak on the first cylinder and right above where the carburetor mounts also has a crack and is leaking.
I don't know if it matters but it was also blowing out some small "Flames" and sparks, I never noticed before but tonight it was getting dark and then I could see them.
Do I just need a gasket to go behind the manifold and then patch the hole,
or do you think this has nothing to do with it not running right?
VIDEO
Thanks for all the help
Sponsored Links

Farmall M Beginner View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmall M Beginner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 10:53pm
Can't get the link to work, copy and past this link in a search.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff47/JacksonFender/?action=view&current=JohnDeereLARims007.mp4
Thanks
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 7:58am
 The leaks between the head and manifold shouldn't effect how the engine runs but, in time will erode the block and manifold surface so a gasket set might not do the trick. When I got a new manifold for my 45 the gaskets on the ends only lasted a month or 2 so I took the head of and milled it flat.
 I don't know what is going on down below but you could have vacuum leaks causing a poor mixture. I would bet, if you replaced the manifold, that bugger would run better. I'm interested in knowing what others have to say. Should there be a plate over that square opening? Is it for preheating as in a duel fuel tractor?
 I don't think I would drive her in the hay barn like that. LOL

http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Dennis(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 8:13am
If the engine runs better/good at high rpm and runs bad at low idle, you have a vacuum leak.  Of course, if the timing is set right and the carb. is in good working order.  Spray carb. cleaner on the crack/suspect leak area with the engine running, if it runs better or gains rpm, you have a vacuum leak.

Also, repair the exhaust leak to prevent damage to the manifold or head (acts like a cutting torch).

Dennis
Gary in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 9:55am
We had a problem with the WD not running right.  Sprayed carb cleaner around and found the rear (of the 2) intakes was sucking air. Smeared some silacon around it , let it set up a couple hours, started it and runs like a top. So have ordered a new set of gaskets for the manifold and will pull it off and check the manifold when the gaskets get here.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:38am
Dennis, I doubt any spray-able liquid would have a chance to get in the leaks if he has them with all that fire coming out. It might get a little hot on your nozzle too.  In the video it sounds like it runs as good slow as it does faster, it just doesn't open up to full RPM when throttled up. I just wonder if it could be sucking exhaust back through the intake manifold but with all that blue flame the fuel mixture probably wouldn't make it to the cylinder before burning up??????????
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
ALinIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 12:55pm
You definitely need at least manifold gaskets.  When you get manifold off, check on surface plate.  If it has cracks, I suggest a new manifold as that one has seen better days.  Your IGN timing seems late.  Also by the movement of the throtle you have a problem with a bind in linkage or the govermor needs attention.  
Matt MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 1:54pm
It sure seems more like late timing or Governor issues. It appears when you move the throttle it does not rev up.
Unless your are the lead horse the scenery never changes!!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmall M Beginner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 2:08pm
I removed the throttle linkage and I tried to rev up the engine by hand and it still would not throttle up? so I don't think it is the governor? I'll pull off the manifold and see what I find.
Thanks for all the help and info

Tedin NE-OH View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedin NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 3:24pm
On the magneto rotate all  the spark plug wires one position. Try one direction and if that does not work go the other direction. 
hillmonkey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 4:20pm
i think ted is on it. could have backfired on the last shut down from the leaking manifold and be off timing 1 tooth. once you get the manifold fixed rotate the plug wires as ted stated and one way or the you will be able to get it back in the timming adj. range.hm
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:22pm
It's not gonna be as picky as say... a modern motorcycle, but I'll state my opinion that having a leaking exhaust manifold DOES cause it to run less-than-optimal... the cylinders don't scavenge well.  If it was a high-performance machine... lots of valve overlap, etc., then it'd REALLY suffer, but as-is, it'll just be a little out-of-breath.

The stark reality usually is... that if it's leakin' exhaust that bad, good chance it's not sealing on the intake side very well either... and you just MIGHT have a crack in a runner there somewhere.

I've taken manifolds off, put 'em in the mill, and milled off an eighth-inch to get 'em nice and flat.  I've done same to cylinder heads, then put new gaskets on, and had 'em running nice.

I'm thinking that your ignition timing events still aren't right... off by one tooth on the magneto, or some silly thing like that.  When it's RIGHT, the magneto sits fairly straight up and down, and it's pretty happy to throttle up, even if the mixture is a little lean.

Provided you don't have a cracked intake-side, I'd keep focusing on ignition, and once it's properly timed, then move to manifold leaks,  then check valve lash.

Another thing-  the mixture screws on the carbeurator- if you've been messing with adjustments, read up on the carbeurator- they may not be doing what you're thinking they do... and if you've had the carbeurator apart, read up on the extra passages, because they don't exactly do what you'd think.
JeffMOnt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffMOnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 10:22am
If you have a belt sander you can level out the manifold as long as the block is straight and you don't take off to much metal that will cause the flanges to warp.
Reeseholler View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reeseholler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 1:12pm
Off subject, but what are those steering wheels called? I used to know and now I forget...
hillmonkey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 2:46pm
reese, are you talkin about a "suicide knob" on a tractor steering wheel???? hm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reeseholler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 7:00pm
No. It's a type of steering wheel that if the front wheels whip one direction, it breaks inside that hub and keeps you from getting steering wheel whip. Then when you turn the steering wheel it locks back in so you can steer. It's that big hub that you see right in the center of the steering wheel. I can't think of the name for the life of me.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 7:27pm
Oh- you mean a breakaway clutch or safety-hub.  Works on a pretty simple principle... two plates that fit fairly close together, forced together by a spring.  There's a half-round 'raceway' cut in the flat face of each, and in three spots, there's smaller holes drilled through crossways.  There's a ball-bearing in each hole, so the clutch plates WANT to stay together, but if the shaft spins hard, the clutch plates will separate and the ball will roll 'tween the two (in the groove), so that the sudden torque won't be transmitted to the operator's hands.  These are great for demolition derbies and off-roading Jeeps.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reeseholler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 7:29pm
That would be it. I was going to get one for my Farmall but didn't see paying 65 bucks for one. I just wanted to see if it worked or not. I wish I could remember the company that made them. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmall M Beginner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 8:39pm
The brand of the one on there is "Kosch" "Steering Aid"  made in Nebraska.
I found this one on eBay for one dollar.
here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/KOSCH-MANUFACTURING-TRACTOR-STEERING-WHEEL-MASSEY-/360358522828?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e70aafcc
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reeseholler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 8:41pm
That's Right! Kosch.... I wonder if that would work on a farmall?
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 5:25am
Anyone with a lathe could make it work on anything...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic