This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers Model 7000 Engine: Oil Filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glenssurplus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers Model 7000 Engine: Oil Filter
    Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 8:34am
Hello, 

We have a Allis Chalmers Engine Model 7000 4 cylinder Diesel. We are trying to locate an Oil Filter for this engine, but are having some problems locating the right unit. 

This was a military surplus engine that we purchased, so unfortunately, we don't have any paperwork associated with the engine. 

The engine takes a Cartridge filter. The problem that we are finding, is the length of the filter, or the diameter of the hole in the center of the filter, is not matching up with our engines setup. 

The filters are either too short, by approximately 3 inches. This is the filter that we found using the parts book at our local Napa store. 

We ordered a filter, and it looks like it could be the right length, but the center of the Filter isn't the right diameter to fit the filter head. The filter is too large in diameter to seal. 

I'd love to be able to figure out what filter we need for this unit. I can easily provide information from the engine's data plate, (model / serial #) I have the filter cup at this location as well, unfortunately, the engine is at another location, so pictures would take a minute to get, since I would probably have to travel there to get pictures. (But would do so if need be) 

I can also have our mechanic get me measurements from the engine / filter head as well. 

Any help you guys can give us would be great. 
Sponsored Links

creeperfreak View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creeperfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 12:43pm
Did you try the military senior filter? Wix 51503 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 12:50pm
Length of filter can differ yet do the same job. 
Cross reference of the size of threads and filter face should get you a product that works . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 1:19pm
I ended up going to Baldwin Filters for my machine, the numbers on their filters do not correlate to many other current brands for a given manufacturer but are direct crosses to old AC numbers I had. They seem to be the only producer with filters of the same dimensions as OEM stock units. I have bought NAPA and a few WIX until they became too hard to locate or required special ordering, I just went back to Baldwin.

For a 7000 engine they show a PT115 canister type. 4 7/16 OD, 7 7/8 length, 1 7/32 ID. Same as my HD7G.

http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/

Edited by DMiller - 31 Jan 2014 at 1:24pm
glenssurplus View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glenssurplus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 1:44pm
Hello and thanks for the replies. 

The problem that we are running into with the smaller filters, is that they are not long enough to sit against the filter head, to seal. The Filter that we need is going to be something ~9 1/4 to 9 1/2" in length to put tension against the spring and seal against the bottom. (I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm fairly engine stupid, and I'm relaying information from our mechanic's message to me)  

He did say, that in cleaning up the engine, he found another data plate, that lists the engine as a

Model #7000 D.E.U.

I've been combing through Google results for that, and I haven't come up with much that leads me in any direction as of yet. 

Unfortunately, when we purchased these engines from the government (we have 2x 7000's, and 2x 10000's, not a single one had a filter in them, and were missing other components as well. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 1:55pm
Sorry was thinking one thing and missed the cartridge part. 
On my HD5 (2-71 Detroit) oil and fuel filters (cartridge) I found a filter for Chrysler 6 cylinder filter was about same size but a little shorter - a large washer placed on top of filter and then a different spring to make up difference in length worked to replace filter that was not easily found. 
 On the fuel filters for same engine I found a filter for oil pump on Owens Centervac Air Conditioning Compressor worked as a direct replacement .  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic