This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers HD6E not starting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers HD6E not starting
    Posted: 22 Jul 2023 at 4:22pm
Hi Guys, I have an HD6E which was working fine a few months ago, now when I try to start it it makes a click on the starter motor. I have two new batteries with full charge. Any suggestions? Does the starter motor need replacing? Thanks, Andrew
Sponsored Links

Andymac View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2023 at 5:02pm
Correction - its an HD6B and the serial number is 21261. Built in 1968
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2023 at 6:29pm
Check the starter motor, when its removed, Hook to battery and jump the solenoid, and see what happens. Don't forget to check ground and solenoid.  While the starter is out, stick a pry bar in and see if the motor will turn over by hand...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2023 at 7:51am
I don't want to jump to any conclusions so will ask if you have any mechanical ability either by you, or someone close first. This issue can be simple, or it can be difficult so methodical approach is usually prudent. 

The starter should be either a 40MT, or 42MT series and if you would post a photo of the starter, it would be helpful to get you started.

Of course wholesale replacement would work also but if not presenting any other problems, lets go the inexpensive way first. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2023 at 8:16am
If the cabkes between the battery and starter are old Id change them. Ive bought countless batteries and starters and finally fixed it when I changed battery cables
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2023 at 9:39am
Sounds very much like a bad/dirty solenoid, due to the 'one-click' part. Could be brushes but not as likely. Try LIGHTLY tapping on the solenoid and starter while someone else operates the key start. Could you give us the number on the starter tag on your machine. I am trying to replace the original foot-operated starter with a key switch type solenoid, and numbers from the parts manual don't translate to the modern world. Many places list starters for HD6G, but all use file photos of left-side mount starters,.
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2023 at 3:00pm
Starter solenoids on these can be troublesome, sometimes you can disassemble solenoid and turn the contact plate over. I put a brand new solenoid on mine , wasn,t very expensive. Or just remove starter and take it to a older established automotive electrician for repair. 40MT starter was fairly common in NZ. As were HD6 s, alot sold down here
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Andymac View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2023 at 5:29pm
Thanks for the advice, ill let you know how I get on
Andymac View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2023 at 5:39pm
Thanks for the message, my mechanical skills are limited, but I have done plenty of work on other parts of this machine alongside mechanics. I'm on a hill country farm in New Zealand and use it for roading. Its has been sitting outside in the weather for a 3 months but was working fine prior to that. I'll post a photo shortly
Andymac View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2023 at 5:43pm
Thanks the cables are the original so this could be the problem
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2023 at 9:36pm
Andy...... I feel compelled to speak....I'm in the camp with Merv....SOLENOID...first.  With our collection of ACs that we are trying to keep going...10 to 20 at any time....the biggest starter problem we have is the solenoid contacts. Unhook the batteries...and take the solenoid off.....4 bolts....maybe screws.....take the end of the solenoid off....4 bolts or screws...the round disc is probably ugly....buff it off or sandpaper....the 2 terminals in the end piece are probably ugly....buff or sand off likewise. Sometimes the round disc can be turned over.....depending on if some one beat you to it...LOL.  "YOU CAN DO THIS"  I will bet MONEY.....MARBLES....or...CHALK...this is your problem.....so don't spend a nickel until you check this out first.
Andymac View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2023 at 9:43pm
Thanks - i'll give this a go and let you know how I get on
Andymac View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 8:10pm
Yesterday I was able to get the its started and it going great after sitting out all winter. The problem was exactly as you had said. Dirty solinoid and round disk. Some sand paper did the job. Thanks for your advice, very much apprectiated
Dozer987 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:35am
anyone have a wiring diagram for an HD6E that has the starter disconnect under the seat? I ran it yesterday but today it is totally dead. The solenoid does not even click when I press the starter button. It looks like a previous owner messed with the wiring. I am going to disconnect the batteries and install solenoid jumper wires. suggestions appreciated
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic