This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers Grader DD?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers Grader DD?
    Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 6:03pm
Hello, Glad i found this forum, trying to track down some more info on our old DD grader...
Serial number is DD109/19, what year/variant is this?
Also is a 6 cylinder diesel with fuel pump serial number DGFCL 629-15A, what make of motor and fuel pump is likely?
Thank You very much.
(beautiful old unit, runs on thin air almost!)
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 6:37pm
Serial # should be 4 digits after the DD, which stands for model d, diesel motor.  If its 109, its a 1949 model, early.  If its 1091, its a 1951. if its 1099 its still a '51... Motor will be a 230 or 262 buda(bought by AC, in '53) motor.
Matthews View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 7:29pm
Hello, Thank you for that.
How do you explain the diesel Buda motor in a 1949 model?
How do i know if it is 230 or 262?
Also what is the /19 following the 109?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 9:19pm
Looks like someone may have done some alteration to that, Didja buy it in alabama?

Seriously, though, post some pics of the machine, include the rad grille, that may give indication of year, as that changed at least once, during production...
Matthews View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 11:33pm
Hello, and thanks again.
No it is a classic Allis Chalmers but located in Australia. 
We bought it secondhand approx 30 years ago. I want to know more about it in view of restoring it etc.
Any information would help folks, Thank You.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 2:03am
From what I've been through with an AC Forty Five

Allis had a factory in Australia, I presume based on CKD kits.  Our serial number is also of that two part type (though our separator is a backslash).  And unless you can score an Australian parts book you might have an interesting time translating to US part numbers. 

After a series of "it has got that so it is after this serial but it hasn't got that so it is before that serial" you'll probably get close enough.

Presuming that you're in Victoria this bloke might be handy

Allis Spares and Repairs

P.O. Box 24 Panton Hills 3759

If he is still going

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 4:51am
The plot thickens...  Aussie  factory don't compute wif American books and numbers...
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 7:07am
Judging by the way the hydraulics lines lay out this machine was converted to hydraulic in the past, the rectangular ports the lines feed thru reflect that region where the old mechanical clutch systems were. More photos of the engine would be great so can ID the fuel system. The odd looking mechanism on the cab backwall is combined with the small hand pump at the floor is a hand operated fire generator in the intake for preheat!! I personally would not use.

allis_pre_heater.pdf

Edited by DMiller - 16 Feb 2018 at 7:14am
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 11:38am
He won't need the either injector where he lives unless Australia freezes over.  Hard to find the either pellets anymore. Interesting machine of American and Australian influence.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 3:09pm
DiyDave

Having been down that route you are sure right about the numbers not computing!

I have a copy of an Australian parts list for the AC45 graders.  Points from that front page:-

"Grader Serial No. 524/282 and up"

"Allis-Chalmers Australia Pty Limited

Carrington N.S.W.

Newcastle Works"

"Form TPL-411 Australian Edition"

And the power steering uses an Hydreco pump #750097 with a separate filter/resevoir whereas the USA "Forty Five"  is #096131.  Our Forty Five also has the Hydreco pump assembly.  IIRC I heard somewhere that Hydreco also had a local production plant - maybe under license

I'd hazard a guess that the first three numbers of the serial is the model in Oz production and the second is the unit number.  And I could well be wrong!

By that reasoning #19 would be early Oz production - but when did the production start?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 6:50pm
Ian, the hyd cyls, up front, sure look like the American counterparts. You could be right about a conversion, from mech drive, IDK... Hoses on my DD come through fittings, on the cab, IIRR. There is something weird about that tilting front wheel linkage, compared to my DD...

Production in US started in 1949...

A thought occurred to me after posting this, there are a coupla guys, from your area, at HEF:

Edited by DiyDave - 16 Feb 2018 at 8:33pm
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 12:04am
DiyDave

I'm afraid I've only ever seen one DD when I did some fire breaks for a neighbour and graded past it with our Forty Five - without stopping to inspect.  I know he has overhauled the engine from previous discussions.

It is possible  that things like lift cylinders might be US made.  It looks like the steer cylinder on the 45 series was.  There was an import duty break for using parts made in Australia which might have come into play.

And that DD might be the result of a "twofer one"  somewhere in its career.  If the wheel lean was originally mechanical does it now run with an hydraulic motor?
Matthews View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 12:13am
Thank You everyone, please keep any info coming.
I have a feeling it is factory hydraulic as when we got it the valve blocks were original old cast iron ones, and leaking beyond repair so we replaced them, but they did match each other.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 2:03pm
In my humble opinion this grader looks almost identical the D grader that I use to own with respect to the frame, lift cylinders cab and front axle. I don't believe that Allis made a D or DD grader with mechanical controls. Yes, the holes where the hydraulic lines leave the cab are larger but that may be a result of using different hydraulic control valves in Aus. than in U.S. It also appears as if Aus. manufactured graders followed a different serial number system.
Jack of all trades, master of none
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Ian Beale Ian Beale wrote:

DiyDave

I'm afraid I've only ever seen one DD when I did some fire breaks for a neighbour and graded past it with our Forty Five - without stopping to inspect.  I know he has overhauled the engine from previous discussions.

It is possible  that things like lift cylinders might be US made.  It looks like the steer cylinder on the 45 series was.  There was an import duty break for using parts made in Australia which might have come into play.

And that DD might be the result of a "twofer one"  somewhere in its career.  If the wheel lean was originally mechanical does it now run with an hydraulic motor?

Wheel lean on US made ones use hyd cyl(s). It could be done with a motor, if the machine has sufficient flow from the pump.  In my experience, all early machines had under-powered pumps...Wink
Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 6:45am
Hi Mathews I sent you a private message ,  The grader looks like a standard dd for Australia with the allis 262 diesel engine and Roosamaster  fuel pump the early ones had a water pump mounted on the head , the later had a block mounted water pump
Stew M View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stew M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 10:15pm
uploads/18232/Grader.PNGHi all, I'm new to the forum and also trying to find out some info on our Australian AC grader, the serial number is 48M04133, 6cyl Diesel, I'm in need of a new water pump and having trouble tracking one down, any info would be greatly appreciated.
Stew
Waterloochris View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterloochris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:43pm
Hello, first time here.  Can anyone tell me what year model this DD is please?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:53pm
Is this an aussie grader?  They had a different numbering system, than we do, in the states...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic