This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers electric forklifts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers electric forklifts
    Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 8:48pm
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knows much about the electric forklifts allis made? I was wonder what kind of a transmission system they used, and if they had a shuttle in them for forwards and backwards? Did the electric motor run all the time or just when your moving or going up and down? Can you still get parts and if so are they expensive or reasonable? Sorry for all the questions, was thinking about buying one. Any information on them at all would be helpful! Thanks! Michael
Sponsored Links

49 WF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 49 WF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 10:09pm

The fork lift does not have a transmission, they use a electric motor for travel and a electric motor for the hydraulic pump. Depending on the age, but most hard parts are probably not availible, consumable parts like tips and brushes and seals are able to cross to something availible today. the motors only move on operator demand. the drive motor turns in both directions. the expensive part is the battery.

66 190 GAS,49WF,B,C,37WC,48WF,3WD'S, 66ALLCROP,B1,B10,sbchevy WC
bigfish_Oh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfish_Oh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 12:11am
I actually used one in 1977 in a food warehouse, I remember it was a stand up, motorcycle type handle to twist and move back and forth. I was 18 and the only one at night allowed to drive, other guys destroyed product all the time.
1941 WC sat for 29 years,started & dynoed 27 h.p.
1957 WD45 Grandpa bought new,factory p.s.,added wfe
1951 WD, factory p.s.
1960 D14 HnMk IV BkHoe 4 sale
2014 HD Tri Glide
2009 GMC CC SLT Dually
mwells View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2010 at 10:11pm
Do you have any ballpark idea of what it costs to recondition the batteries?? Thanks for the information!!
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 12:10pm
It seems I remember reading something about Allis high lift warehouse forklifts using a generator hooked to the hydraulic lift. When you lowered a load it would charge the battery.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 7:52pm
i have a very old allis stand-up reach electric  forklift in my warehouse.  if you need parts, check with kalmar brand.  a new battery will run you between $2500 - $3800 or so.  alan
by the way, mine will be for sale if any die hard collector is interested!
mwells View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 10:56pm
Thanks for the information! I'm looking for a regular type forklift, did they ever make them with side shift? Thanks!
js5020 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js5020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 1:00am

The sideshift attachment can be added to almost any lift truck as long as you have an auxillary hydraulic spool to make it function, and items necessary to get the hydraulic power out to the attachment,, on an old lift without the hydraulic valves or hose reel it can be a spendy project, best to find a machine that already has ALL the options you would like.  If electric is what you want may I encourage you to find a machine with a GE control system for ease of parts availability and service.  Any lift truck tech can/should be able to diagnose and repair a GE system should you require service, but few will be able to help you beyond hope and poke on the proprietary AC system,,, 25 yrs in the biz and I only ever remember one,, 20yrs ago.

mwells View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 7:03am
So the G series and the proprietary are the two electrical wiring ways? How can you tell which one it is? Is it marked on the serial number plate? Thanks!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 9:09am
try Herc-U-Lift , they have several locations and were AC forklift and Industrial Machine dealer. See their service trucks on the road quite often and I have bought parts from them at there MN location.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
NIKT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 12:09am
I only just learned of this Forum, and I'm glad to join.

I might be able to help answer questions related to A-C forklifts.  I worked for the Industrial Truck Division from 1963 to 1988.  I was chief engineer  of the electric truck design group and my last position was product safety manager.  For many years I worked with many attorneys inside and outside of A-C to help defend against product liability lawsuits.

I hope this forum continues as in my experience  A-C had good products designed and built by some pretty terrific designers and assembly line people.

Best regards,

NIKT

NIKT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 2:34pm
To:  CTuckerNWIL

You read correctly, but that system was experimental and was used only on a forklift built especially for a material handling expo at Mccormick Place, Chicago in the late 1960s/early 1970s.  You might find some old publicity literature describing what was then called a "Gofor."   Also, for control details, look up U.S. Patent No. 3.512,072, Elevated Load Potential Energy Recovery, etc, etc. in Google Patents.  I am one of the two patent holders (my boss put his name first, of course).

To anyone reading this, I worked for A-C for 25 years in the industrial truck group and I am familiar with electric forklift technology.   I still maintain many industry contacts, so I'll try to answer any questions you might have or direct you to sources of parts or info.

NIKT
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 10:47am
Glad to have you aboard! It is great to have people like yourself share your expertise and knowledge with the rest of us. Hope to see more of your posts in the future!
oldfoolstools View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfoolstools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 9:24am
Hi
I am new to this forum. I have an old AC electric forklift I am working on. It is  a Model ACE 45 CR Serial DCJ134232 Type EE. I am trying to find a copy of the Electrical Schematic. The one I have is faded torn and almost illegible. The problem I am having is getting the drive motor to work. It worked for a short time in reverse only. The contactors all appear to be working and what I suspect is a control wire to the SCR. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
NIKT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 1:35pm
To oldfoolstools:

I might be able to find a schematic for you.  The first question is, what kind of control do you have.  The model designation ACE45CR identifies it as an SCR control, but there were various conversions and back-conversions: so is it an A-C manufactured transistor control (ACTRONIC), or is it, in fact a GE manufactured SCR control?  If it is an SCR control, is it the earlier version built of separate assemblies, called the C185/200, or is it the later EV-1 system that was a  unitized control, all black with a swing-up control board enclosure?  Let me know

Let's take this one step at a time.  I'll try to get you a schematic before we talk about troubleshooting your ACE 45

By the way, for safety's sake, when you do work on the machine, please block up the drive wheels CLEAR off the floor and guard the wheels so no one's feet get caught when the wheels turn.

Regards,

NIKT

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfoolstools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 4:24pm
NIKT
Thank you for your reply.
I believe this to be the older type you mentioned, as it is not unitized.
Looking inside the left side compartment between the wheels, there is a unit that lookes like its made of several parts on an aluminum backing plate. The battery / motor wires terminate on the left and bottom of this. There is also a small green box about 4"x5" x 1" thick with some smaller wires 14-12 guage going to it. I hope this helps. If need be I could see if I could upload  or text a photo. I really appreciate the help. Thanks. R.
NIKT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 6:38pm
Hi oldfoolstools,

It sounds like you have a forklift with the earlier version of the GE-made SCR control.

It would be a big help to see a picture, if possible.  While you try to take and send a picture, I will search for a schematic that may help you.

NIKT
NIKT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 6:44pm
Hi again, oldfoolstools,

A couple of questions, if you don't mind.

What is your experience in troubleshooting electrical circuits? 

What instruments or tools do you have?  Do you have a Simpson 260 or other analog multimeter, or do you use a digital multimeter?

I respectfully ask these question so that we can communicate at a comfortable level for you when we get to the trouble shooting.

Best regards,

NIKT
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfoolstools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 8:26am
NIKT
I am quite familiar with electrical test equipment. My backgroung is in Facilities Maintenance. I have a dgital GB meter and I also have an old analog meter about the size of a small suitcase. JKG.  I am familiar with isolating componants and checking voltages and resistance. I have an amp meter for AC votage but not for DC. I am checking to find a way to get a photo to you. The old schematic  I have has two #'s in the lower right corner. The printed # is 4884705 and the handwritten one is4894562 . It also says Schematic Diagram SCR Control and ......... This is about all I can make out.
I hope this is of some help. Thanks again
NIKT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 9:23am
Hi  oldfoolstools,
Thanks for the info, it's a big help.  I will look in my archives-yeah, they look like the Dead Sea scrolls- but, I'm sure I can find what you need.   I"ll start looking today, but please give me a day or so.

Best regards,

NIKT
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfoolstools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 11:04am
NIKT
No rush at all. Thanks again!
 R.
NIKT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 8:35pm

Hi oldfoolstools,

I am looking fro, and I have a couple of old AC buds, looking for the schematic.  While waiting for the schematic, there are a couple of things you can do to start troubleshooting now.

If I suggest something you already know or have tried, just be patient and we'll find and resolve the problem.

First off, is the battery charged?  Do you have any dead cells?  Do the pump (lift) motor and power steering motors run OK?  If so, odds are the battery is OK.  If not, the battery may be the problem. 

Are the control and big high-power fuses OK?  They may look good, but you should run a resistance check to be sure.

Next, and VERY IMPORTANT,  safely block up the drive wheels so they cannot make contact with the floor or anything else if they rotate!!!!

Third, here's an old mechanic's trick--with the wheels blocked up, battery plugged in, use a piece of wood or non-conductive material, and carefully push the forward contactor solidly closed.  Holding it closed, then push the 1-A contactor solidly closed.  If the cabling and motor circuits (and the drive motor) are OK, the motor will jump to top speed in forward.  Do the same with the reverse contactor and 1-A.  If the motor runs in both directions, all the power circuits are OK.  If the motor runs in one direction only, then you know the other power circuit has a problem.  If the motor doesn't run at all, you may have a dead battery, open cabling connection, bad contactor tips, or badly worn motor brushes.

I don't know which contactors you have, but if the tips are worn out, replace them.  Don't file or sand them as they will have a tendency to arc or stick at a very inconvenient time.

Do the contactors pick up when you select a direction and step on the accelerator?  If not, then you may have a bad direction selector switch, or bad accelerator foot switch, or if so equipped, a bad brake pedal switch, or a bad seat cushion switch, or any of the connecting wires in those circuits.

Also, do you get any high pitched buzzing from the control when you try to drive the truck?  If so, that indicates an open freewheeling diode.

Give these ideas a try a try and let me know what you find out.  Please be safe and good hunting!!

NIKT

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfoolstools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 1:00pm

Hi NIKT

Thanks for your reply. I had already checked all the items you mention before I contacted you the first time. You are very thorough!
The Battery is fully charged 36 + volts and checked again under a load. No dead cells. Lift Motor runs and lift tilt and side shift all work. The Steering Pump motor runs, but the wheels do not turn left or right. I am assuming this to be a hydraulic unit using the same reservoir as the lift pump. Maybe I have a bad hyd cylinder or steering valve.
Fuses are all good
The seat switch is good
The directional switch is good
The accelerator switch is good
Contactors for reverse, forward, and the smaller  contactor that closes upon turning on the machine all actuate and have continuity.
I pulled all the drive motor wires off one at a time and cleaned the connections.
I had already blocked up the wheels to test and tried manually actuating the contacts although they worked fine with the accelerator.
At one point I got reverse to work for a short time, but not forward. When it ran in reverse the motor seemed to speed up and down and made a growling noise. At this point I am thinkig as you said that it is a worn motor brush problem. Are these still available? Is there a continuity check that could affirm this?
Hope this helps. Thank you so much for your time. R.
NIKT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 6:19pm

Hi oldfoolstools,

I am disappointed that I haven't yet found a schematic, but I haven't given up.

I see we have at least two problems to solve--one, the drive system, and, two, the power steer system.

Let's keep chugging along here while my A-C pals keep digging for a wiring diagram.

Drive System:  Would you please clarify one more time--If you manually close both the Forward contactor and the 1-A bypas contactor, does the drive motor run?  And does the motor run with the Reverse contactor and the 1-A  both closed?  If the motor doesn't run under these conditions, then there is an open in the drive power circuit.   

You can check motor continuity:  With all cables disconnected from the motor, there should be continuity from S1  to  S2 (letters stamped into field ring).  These are the series field coils.  Note: some field terminals were  marked F1 and F2, so keep an eye open for this.  The armature terminals should be marked A1 and A2.  Both the armature and field windings in the motor should have a low resistance, typical HUNDRETHS of an ohm.  Usually the the fields almost never fail, but a shorted field coil(s) wold tend to make a running motor want to run faster, but pull an abnormally high current and while causing much brush sparking.  If there is no armature continuity, you may have stuck or worn brushes.  Remove the cover bands at the brush-end of the motor and take a look.  If the brushes seem to be well down into, or flush with the brushboxes, they are definitely worn out.  Brushes and all motor parts are readily available from people like Warfield Electric Co, 815-469-4094 for reasonable prices.

Power steer problem:  This sounds like a hydraulic problem.  If the lift and tilt work OK, then the odds are the fluid level is OK.  Since the power steer motor seems to run OK, then you may have a hose or component problem.  Check the hose that feeds the inlet port of the power steer pump to make sure it is not collapsing from suction vacuum.  It may help to know how this system works:  This system is a full power assisted sytem with no mechanical link between the steering wheel and the small diameter steerable wheels located at rear of the forklift.  The power steer pump sends fluid to an Orbitrol valve controlled by the steering wheel.  There are four ports in the steer valve--the inlet port gets pressurized fluid from the pump, while two of the ports are connected to the power steer cylinder.  When you turn the steering wheel to the left or right, fluid is directed to one side or the other of the power steer cylinder to move its piston one way or the other to steer left or right.  The fourth port on the Orbitrol is the drain line back to the reservoir.   I would suggest pulling the drain line that goes from the Orbitrol drain port to the tank, and aim it into a deep bucket.  Run the power steer motor briefly to see if fluid is being pumped at all.    Assuming there is sufficient fluid in the tank,  if there is no flow, then the suction hose may be collapsed or a filter may be clogged.  Usually a suction side restriction will result in pump cavitation and cause a high pitched noise.   If you have good flow in the drain line, turn the steering wheel to see if the steer cylinder and linkage move.  If not, try to raise the steer wheels off the ground and repeat the test.  If the wheels then steer, you may have an abnormally steering low relief pressure.  The relief valve is typically built into the power steer pump.  You should set relief pressure with a gauge as you could blow the lines with excess pressure.  You should hear the power steer motor/pump unit speed up and slow down as you steer , and you should hear the unit run slower when you get to either end of the stroke of the power steer cylinder.   If you get thes audible clues, but the no steering, you may have a rare case of the piston breaking loose from the piston rod and just moving back and forth in the cylinder without doing any steering.

Try these hints and let me know how you make out.

NIKT

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfoolstools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 9:17am
NIKT
Thanks again
The drive motor does not work at all in reverse or fwd with the both contactors engaged.
Reverse worked for a short time using the pedal, but was noisy and not at a constant speed. I will check the continuity on the motor terminals as soon as I get a chance. I have gotten busy here at work with some other issues. I will also try the test on the steering. I may possibly have a broken piston i the hyd cylinder as this machine had been forcibly moved around sevral times with another forklift. R
NIKT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 2:02am

OK.  Keep me posted.

NIKT
Jimmy Forklift View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Forklift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 6:09pm

Hello:

I've got an older AC ACE 40A 48 Volt electric forklift.  Everything was working excellent until the power steering motor quit.  The brushes wore out so I removed the motor and replaced (4 brush model).  I reinstalled and am having a tough time getting steering to work.  Is there a special process for priming or bleeding the lines?  Someone told me that I may have put the brushes back in incorrectly and the armature is turing the wrong direction.  Anyone know which way the armature should turn?  I've tried both directions and am having a hard time getting steering back to where it was.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
BTW... the resevoir is full, the feed lines are not crushed, the battery is excellent, all other hydraulic functions work fine.
Thanks.
Jimmy Forklift View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Forklift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 8:22pm

Hi all.  I figured out my errors and am posting this update just so that the info may be useful to someone else someday.

As mentioned, my power steering motor quit when the brushes in the DC motor wore down to nothing.  I removed the motor from up underneath the rear axle and replaced the brushes.  This motor had 4 brushes, with two contact points to the outer DC connecting bolts.  The brush harness is in a T configuration, with one set of brushes connecting to one lug and feeding opposite sides of the commutators (180 degrees), and the second T brush feeding similar.  Therefore, all 4 brushes are on the comm's spaced every 90 degrees.  The length of the harness off of the center of each T is not the same, which is what causes variable current to hit the comm's and affect rotation direction.  NOTE that the two 48 volt wires (+,-) feeding the body of the motor do nothing to affect rotation when exchanged.

When I reinstalled the brushes, I didn't take note of the direction of the longer leads in the T and where they were, so I obviously installed them backwards and my motor spun backwards.  After correcting, the motor now spins the proper direction and power steering works excellent.

To note:  The proper direction for the pump on this machine is clockwise rotation when looking at the shaft of the pump (where it connects to the motor).  The fluid inlet is on the bottom, pressure outlet is on the top of the pump.

The reason I was not getting power steering to work after I initially installed the new brushes, then changed them and tested, was because when I went and changed them, I did so by not removing the entire motor from underneath the rear axle.  I just pulled off the back end of the motor housing where the brushes are, and switched them there.

PROBLEM WAS.... when I did so, I must have pulled on the armature slightly and it pulled away from the pump a little, dislodging the armature key.  So when I retested the motor with the brushes changed, the motor wasn't turning the pump and it was at that point that I thought I was going nuts.  I finally had enough and took it all out again, only to find the key sitting in the bottom of the motor housing and me feeling rather stupid.

In short, if your power steering needs servicing, elevate the rear of this model forklift (ON BLOCKS, safety first) and remove the entire unit because if my experience with the armature KEY is standard factory, then this is not like anything I've ever seen.  Most keys are insterted in the side of a shaft, but not this one.  It is a little round extension, male on one side, female slot on the other side, keyed into the end of the armature shaft and mates with the pump.  My pump still has an Allis Chalmers stamp on it, so I believe my entire setup is still factory.

At any rate, reading NIKT above shed some help about these forklifts for me, which was useful.  Hopefully my crazy experience will help someone else by reading this.

All the best.
NIKT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:16am

To Jimmy Forklift,

Good detective work.  On a 2-terminal motor with wound  (coils of wire) fields, if you reverse polarity of the supply voltage, the motor will always rotate in the same designed  direction.  To reverse such a motor, you must reverse the field connections or the armature connections, but not both. 
Evidently, when you changed the brushes the first time, you did, as you correctly analyzed, inadvertantantly changed the armature connections causing reverse rotation.

It is the usual practice to drop the pump motor out for service.  You then should be able to remove the brush cover band and replace the brushes without having to  disconnect all the brush cross-connectors. 

By the way, since the brushes were so badly worn, was the commutator OK?  If it was scored or grooved, then you may want to disassemble the motor and have the commutator trued and resurfaced and the mica undercut.

I'm glad if I was any help on your project. 

NIKT

PS to oldfoolstools,

Did you get your rig going?  Sad to say no one came through with an A-C schematic, so I'm trying to find a generic GE SCR schematic.  Let us know how you have done.

NIKT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:29am
To Jimmy Forklift,

Some more thoughts on your project:  That little couple you described is called an "Oldham Coupling" and acts like a mini U-joint to take care of any misalignment.  It should be lightly lubed before assembly.

Most of the pumps of that era were made by the Barnes company in Rockford, IL, and the motors were supplied by Prestolite.  Both the companies have been bought and sold a couple of times, so I'm not sure of their present corporate names.  You can easily obtain motor parts(for sure) and pump parts (possibly), from Warfield Electric at 815-469-4094.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic