This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers Centrifugal Pump Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers Centrifugal Pump Questions
    Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 4:47pm
I recently was given this Allis Chalmers Centrifugal pump.  My friend bought a commercial building and this pump was sitting in the yard.  I have no idea if this pump works or not, but I thought I'd take it and see if I can refurbish it and use it as a pasture irrigation system.  My current pasture is on a very sandy soil. I have 10 Highland cattle and it would be great if this pump would work for irrigation.  My pasture is next to a lake so I have a large supply of water for irrigation.

The pump has the following info on the plate:
Serial #: 1-85133-1-1
Type: KSJF
Size: 5x4
GPM: 500
Ft. HD: 139
RPM: 1760
IMP. DIA: 11.875

I'm kinda new to centrifugal pumps and irrigation so I have plenty to learn.  I have a couple of questions for the guru's:  

Would this pump be suitable for irrigation pasture?

The pump does not have an electric motor.  Any idea what size motor this would need in order to drive it properly?

The pump has probably been sitting outside for quite awhile so I thought I'd take a look inside and see what may need to be cleaned/replaced.  Any recommendations to this pump newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 1:20pm
Problem might be in getting LIFT to the pump as it's made for moving fluid and not as a suction unit . So low input source but high head . A 5x4 pump depending on pressure needed would probably be minimum 20 HP to get volume - Or using a gas engine of automotive or tractor design to power it .
 The bearing setup probably would not stand up to belt drive so direct couple to input would be needed . Split it and check impellers and case wear clearances , as it's a packed shaft the packing and wear ring  in the gland would need replacing if no damage to shaft is present . I might have a wear sleeve over input shaft .
 Most of the pumps I worked on were open face centrifugal pumps with impeller close to input opening casting .   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 1:26pm
How do you calculate HP from GPM and head?
http://www.w3.org/2000/svg\" viewBox=\"0 0 24 24\">"); display: inline-block; height: 24px; width: 24px; transform: rotateZ(-180deg);">
Formula: GPM * PSI / (1714 * efficiency) = HP.

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 1:52pm
those are tough old pumps that will work even when  basically worn out..  Everything Coke said is good advice.....

you would need about 25- 30  HP minimum...( a little extra is better)... Most of those pumps will only LIFT water about 4 feet... Best to have the pump set at pond level to the inlet port.... 1 - 2 ft lift is great..

You can use this page to get the HP.... 139 ft is about 60 psi... ( 2.3 ft per psi).

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Aug 2023 at 2:03pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 1:57pm
to post photos, try to get the size at 800 x 600 pixels or less prior to uploading to the site... Most cameras are 5000 x 3000 or so...

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Aug 2023 at 1:58pm
Landrand View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 3:38pm
I could put the pump near the shore of the lake where it would probably be a foot or two above the lake water level.   Once the pump sucks in the water to the inlet, the pump would have to be able to push the water up an incline to the pasture that is somewhat steep.  Don't know exactly the elevation, but my portable Honda gas pump has no problem pushing water up the hill.

I was hoping I could use something like a 5 HP motor for this pump.  Don't think the electric company will like it if I using anything above a 5 HP motor.   I'll have to check with them about it.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 4:13pm
you would need a 3 phase motor of 30 HP to do it right.. That would be 480 volts.... not really a good option for ONE motor... You could use a small auto engine running at 1700 rpm.. but the gas price would have to be taken into account.

139 feet of head means the pump would PUSH the water up a 139 ft vertical hill ... or 60 psi.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 6:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic