This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis chalmers b final drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis chalmers b final drive
    Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 9:10pm
Hey. I'm a new member here and I'm currently rebuilding a '51 AC B. I broke my left final drive trying to remove the shaft to replace bearings. I have a spare one I'm buying to replace it. Any tips on removing the shaft without breaking the final drive casing? Which way do you press? Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 9:26pm
Welcome to the forum.

Which shaft were you trying to pull, pinion or axle?

I expect Gerald will post a link to the manual (it covers the G, B, C, and CA models) he has on line, when he sees your post. Down load and save a copy so you have it. That will give you the info you need and the tools to do the job. Easier if you read it first. Folks here will give you a hand if you have questions about the procedure.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 9:44pm
the bull shaft comes out pretty easy after the remove the snap ring on the bull gear / shaft.... the top axle shaft is really not stuck in the case, it is "normally" the brake hub that is stuck to the shaft... There is a lock screw on the hub.. access thru the 1 inch round hole in the case.. You might head the brake hub.. soak with penetrant, etc... Many are HARD to get off. some have broken the brake drum to get the shaft out. I have never heard of the CASE breaking... I set the base on the end with shaft sticking straight up.. press the shaft OUT from the INSIDE to the OUTSIDE ... and it moves thru the drum as you push........ service manual shows a puller with rods you connect to the drum, then portapower the shaft thru ........ I have also beat them out with a 5 pound hammer and brass plate, but you can distort the splines that slide into the differential if you pound too much...... small grinder can then fix it up.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Levibridge95 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 9:50pm
Ok thanks. Maybe that's where I went wrong. Instead of pressing inside out, I went outside in thinking it would work. I have the hub stuck on the other final drive axle that i can't get off. It has the one big nut in the middle. Any ideas?
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 5:38am
Here is a link to the factory service manual. You can down load and save it. It is in sections for the different tractors. You need to review pages 36 through 38 in the B, C section for this project. That will help you with nomenclature and sequence. Do you have the final off the tractor? Be sure you tell which shaft, etc. you are working on. Folks will help you with your questions from there.

G, B, C, CA service manual
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:07am
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:47am
You might want to tell exactly how and where the final drive broke. What all lock screws and nuts you had removed would also help us help you.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 11:37am
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 12:43pm
It was the pinion shaft. I removed all the bolts and nuts. It broke on the inside part between the brake drum and the gear. That bearing in the middle. Thanks for the help so far.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:07pm
Were you pressing on the spline shaft that goes into the transmission?
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:12pm
Levibridge95,  Welcome the the Unofficial Allis-Chalmers Forum.  As shown above you will receive a warm welcome and LOTS of outstanding help. 
I cannot add to what has already been said only to say, Take good care of my favorite Allis Chalmers Tractor.  Sounds like you are doing a GREAT JOB!
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 4:42pm
Ok thanks. Maybe that's where I went wrong. Instead of pressing inside out, I went outside in thinking it would work. I have the hub stuck on the other final drive axle that i can't get off. It has the one big nut in the middle. Any ideas?

To get the hub off the bull shaft, I remove the nut and soak with penetrant... Smack the hub and 3 oclock and 9 oclock alternately to try to rock it on the shaft.. Normally it will pop off... If not, you can use a puller... Get a couple 3/4 inch all thread and put thru the holes in the hub with nuts on the back.. they should be sticking out parallel to the bull shaft....... you need a BIG plate or bar an inch or better thickness to go across the shaft and have the althread sticking thru the bar on each side... tighten the nuts on the althread until the bar starts to bend or you can't get any tighter... THEN smack the hub on each side with a 20# hammer.

Edited by steve(ill) - 18 Aug 2019 at 4:53pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 4:49pm

Set the axle housing in the press or on a couple of wood blocks so it is LEVEL and the differential end ( splined shaft) pointing UP... See DICKS picture of the press... The press is the way to go.. You can BEAT it out, but check splines for minor distortion after the shaft is out... You are trying to push the shaft THRU the brake drum... There is a SET SCREW in the hub !! get it out first... Soak with penetrant... maybe some heat.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 8:51pm
Yes
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 8:52pm
Thank you
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

To get the hub off the bull shaft, I remove the nut and soak with penetrant... Smack the hub and 3 oclock and 9 oclock alternately to try to rock it on the shaft.. Normally it will pop off... If not, you can use a puller... Get a couple 3/4 inch all thread and put thru the holes in the hub with nuts on the back.. they should be sticking out parallel to the bull shaft....... you need a BIG plate or bar an inch or better thickness to go across the shaft and have the althread sticking thru the bar on each side... tighten the nuts on the althread until the bar starts to bend or you can't get any tighter... THEN smack the hub on each side with a 20# hammer.

I suspended the final drive with my engine hoist by putting a strap on the hub and lefting it in the air a couple inches. Then i firmly tapped on the axle itself till it slide out. Thanks for the help everyone. Slowly getting the tractor back together. Couldn't remove the set screws so i had to cut off the steering arms and the spindles then slid out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic