This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers ACC 40 forklift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers ACC 40 forklift
    Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 3:00pm
Hello - 

I recently acquired an old ACC 40 forklift. It originally was built for the U.S. Navy and the tag shows a shipped date of December 1980. It obviously at some point was retired from the Navy and has been in private commercial use. 

It originally was gasoline powered but somewhere along the line someone converted it to propane. The engine is an L-head 4-cylinder. I need to get a good look at the engine, but from some Googling, I believe it's a Continental F135 engine - I'll need to confirm that. 

Disclaimer: I know a decent bit about these types of engines and have completely torn down and rebuilt a very similar engine (Universal Atomic 4). But I don't know much about these old forklifts.

First question is what would be a good battery to use to to start the engine? The one that came with it is a cheapo generic battery from Autozone and it's stone, cold, absolutely dead. It's labeled as having 525 cranking amps. The engine is 2.6 liters (136 cubic inches). I just want to make sure I get a heavy-duty enough battery to reliably crank and start this thing.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 5:05pm
I've had a couple of these AC 40's, mine had the Buda style 4 cyl. (153 cu. in. I think) overhead valve engines. I don't know if yours has the long and narrow battery? My battery supplier told me those don't seem to have such a long life so consequently I converted several forklifts (also other brands than AC) to the square style battery. If your engine is healthy and you're not in extremely cold weather the 525 AMP should start it OK. It doesn't hurt to have a bit stronger battery and if most of the time it has to crank a long time to start cold I would want at least around 800 cr. amps. 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Bill T View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 5:20pm
Yeah I went and bought a marine deep cycle battery with a higher cranking amp rating.

I also discovered that the negative battery cable was cracked and rotten. Replaced the cable, put the new battery in, and it started with about 2 seconds of cranking.

The propane tank is almost empty, so it didn't want to stay running, and it has no brakes at all, since all the fluid seems to be gone.

But I drove it a bit and all the hydraulics work!

Not bad for a free forklift.

Now I need to drain and replace the engine oil and coolant and see where the leaks are coming from.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 12:27am
Wow if that is a free forklift you are blessed and highly favoured!! I bet if you just put brake fluid in and pump them a bit it will likely self bleed and unless there is a ruptured line the brake fluid leak will be very slow. Oil leaks are a bit of a pain on forklifts because they're hard to get at most of the time. The one AC 40 was my favourite one...would generally do most any job I'd give it. With hard tires it was still so good running on gravel surfaces. Other makes and models often would make a few feet on gravel...start shaking and get stuck. You'll be pleased with yours once you give it a bit of TLC.  
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 10:15am
When you want ( need !) to look at the brakes, tilt the forks back, place a 6by6 under them,then tilt forward. that will raise the wheels just high enough to take them off.
Just be careful..sems everything is heavy and hard on forklifts !!

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
FRKLIFTGUY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FRKLIFTGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 10:23am
ITS PROBABLY AN OLD F163 CONTINENTAL.  THE 135 WAS AN OLDER ENGINE AND PROBABLY USED ON SMALLER (3000 LB) MACHINES.
DON'T OVERTHINK THE BATTERY.  MOST LIFTS HAD 24 SERIES BATTERIES AND STILL USE 24S OR 51 GROUPS.  IF THE 24 WON'T TURN IT OVER YOU HAVE OTHER ISSUES TO DEAL WITH.
GLENN
ISLAND FORKLIFTS
m3a1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3a1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 10:56am
Bill, I realize yours is an old post but I would very much like to see a nice square picture of your data plate.  I collect and restore former military vehicles and just brought home a civilian ACC35 to help with that work....and thought about painting it up in Navy Gray just for giggles.  There ARE sources that can recreate data plates if provided with a good photo.

Cheers,
m3a1
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 6:13pm
You might get lucky and he is lurking around, but his profile shows his last visit was February 20, 2016, when he made his post above.
FRKLIFTGUY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FRKLIFTGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 7:55am
I ASSUME YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A PICTURE OF A MILITARY DATA PLATE FOR THE OLD AC FORKLIFT.

IF NOT,  I HAVE AN OLD 1980ISH ACC30 IN MY BACK YARD. WOULD BE HAPPY TO SEND YOU A SNAP OF THE DATA PLATE

m3a1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3a1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 9:35am
Oh yes!  PLEASE!  

(and, THANK YOU!)
m3a1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3a1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 9:54am
Would that happen to be the MHE-227 or similar?
m3a1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3a1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 10:39am
Okay.  For those of you finding yourself similarly constrained by a lack of manuals and information for your particular machine, here's a little detail on my method for seeking out manuals for my Allis Chalmers forklift, ACC 35 (and this particular machine, thus far, seems to be some kind of made to spec, in-between model).

But first, I will tell you that I happen to be in the hobby of collecting former military vehicles and I became aware that the military did use Allis Chalmers fork lifts in the 70s.  My familiarity with military vehicle manuals (occasionally they can be difficult and a bit frustrating to use) piqued my interest in the possibility that some might exist for my machine.

Liberatedmanuals.com does an excellent good job of providing mountains of information to search from but, that pile of information can be a bit daunting because their search engine casts a very, VERY wide net.

HOWEVER - 

Aero-stuff.com turned out to have a bit more focused search engine (they sell their manuals for a very fair price, BTW) and from there, I was able to come up with several TM numbers (technical manuals) that applied to Allis Chalmers machines close to my own.  

Shamelessly, I took that information back to liberatedmanuals.com and was able to quickly bypass the mountain of info, find, and download (for free) the TMs I needed.  I admit this feels a bit like picking aero-stuff's pockets but they put the information out there.  So, by way of compensation, I suggest you check them out.  Maybe they have something for you.

So, to make a long story short, if you are having difficulty finding information on your machine, maybe you will get lucky if the military used your model (or one similar to it) because if it did, there probably is a TM out there for you.
m3a1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3a1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 10:50am
Information you might find useful - 

TECHNICAL MANUAL - TM 10-3930-630-12

(SEPTEMBER 1976)

OPERATOR AND ORGANIZATIONAL MAINTENANCE MANUAL

TRUCK, LIFT, FORK, GASOLINE, SOLID RUBBER TIRED WHEELS, 4000 LBS CAPACITY

100 AND 180 INCH LIFT ARMY MODEL MHE-231 ALLIS-CHALMERS MODELS ACC40-24PS100 AND ACC40-24PS180

NSN 3930-00-590-7814 (100 IN.) NSN 3930-00-556-4955 (180 IN.)

TECHNICAL MANUAL - TM 10-3930-644-14&P

OPERATOR'S, ORGANIZATIONAL,
DIRECT SUPPORT AND GENERAL SUPPORT INSTRUCTIONS
MAINTENANCE MANUAL
(INCLUDING REPAIR PARTS INFORMATION AND SUPPLEMENTAL MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR PARTS INSTRUCTIONS) 

----------------------------------------------------------

TECHNICAL MANUAL - TM 10-3930-630-34

(MAY, 1978)

DIRECT SUPPORT AND GENERAL SUPPORT MAINTENANCE MANUAL FOR
TRUCK, LIFT, FORK GED, SOLID RUBBER
TIRED WHEELS, 4000 LBS CAPACITY
100 AND 180 INCH LIFT

ARMY MODEL MHE-231
ALLIS CHALMERS MODELS ACC40-24PS100 and ACC40-24PS180 (NSN 3930-00-490-7814) (100 IN.)
(NSN 3930-00-556-4955) (180 IN.) 

--------------------------------------------------------------

TECHNICAL MANUAL - 10-3930-644-14&P

OPERATOR'S, ORGANIZATIONAL,
DIRECT SUPPORT AND GENERAL SUPPORT INSTRUCTIONS
MAINTENANCE MANUAL

(INCLUDING REPAIR PARTS INFORMATION AND SUPPLEMENTAL MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR PARTS INSTRUCTIONS)

TRUCK, FORK LIFT
GASOLINE ENGINE DRIVEN, 4,000 LB.CAPACITY,

ALLIS-CHALMERS MODEL ACP-40-PS MHE 234

NSN 3930-01-040-4594
(144" LIFT HEIGHT & PNEUMATIC TIRES)

MODEL ACC-40-PS MHE 232 NSN 3930-01-039-8291

(144" LIFT HEIGHT & SOLID RUBBER TIRES) NSN 3930-01-039-8292

(180" LIFT HEIGHT & SOLID RUBBER TIRES) 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic