This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis B shutters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00transamnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis B shutters
    Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 5:00pm
I am in the process of restoring a 1940 B and am looking for some information on which B's were equipt with shutters. I purchased a nice used nose to replace the old beat up unit on this tractor and noticed the replacement had a hole for shutters. My original however did not. I am looking for some insight into when shutters were implimented and for what configuration tractors. I read somewhere that shutters were equipt on tractors without thermostats. Is this true?

I do live in a cold climate. Are shutters useful even though my cooling system uses a thermostat?
Sponsored Links

MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 7:31pm
Serial # 43301 in 1940 was the start of the shutters.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 6 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 9:27pm
You are correct about the thermostats.
The shutters were used before thermostats to warm up the engine and keep it warm for maximum efficiency. Warm engines run better then cool engines. LOL Bob  

4 B's, 1 C's,3 CA's, 2 G's WD, D14, D15, B-1, B10, B12, 712S,
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 9:40pm
My problem with shutters is once the engine warms up, finding the "sweet spot" to position the shutters in so the engine doesn't get too hot or go cold is a little tricky. Makes you wish the shutter control was by the operator, like on the John Deere's of the era. 
00transamnh View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00transamnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 6:30am
Ok thanks gents. Sounds like i will weld it closed if it will serve me no purpose.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00transamnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 6:50am
Back on this topic. Any idea when thermostats were first used in these engines? I see pictures of later Models with headlights etc that have shutters...
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 7:48am
Originally posted by 00transamnh 00transamnh wrote:

Ok thanks gents. Sounds like i will weld it closed if it will serve me no purpose.

If yours is too old to have shutters, you should have a canvas curtain to cover the grille. It's supposed to act as a thermostat, similar to the shutters. 
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 8:12am
My B had a thermostat and the shutters. Its also a 48'. I wouldn't weld up the hole, I'd put a set of shutters on it. But, that's just me I guess...
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

I wouldn't weld up the hole, I'd put a set of shutters on it. But, that's just me I guess...

If it were me, I'd find the curtain, or put shutters on. Don't see a whole lot of either anymore. Most prefer the convenience of a thermostat.  
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 8:34am
I have a set of shutters if you opt to go that route.
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:15am
Mine has shutters and I just keep them open. More of a summer tractor anyway. And they do look kind of cool.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00transamnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 9:57am
Sorry for harping on this... just want to make sure I don't go past the point of no return on closing this hole up.

For clarity here, I HAVE a thermostat. Do you folks that live in cold weather find you could use the additional shutters or curtains beyond the thermostat.

Jim, can you PM me a price on your shutters?
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 11:00am
When I was using my B in the Winter, I had to close the shutters completely to get the engine to warm up near the green area on the gauge. The thing just runs super cool in the hottest weather...
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00transamnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 12:34pm
You were running a stat as well Steve?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic