This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis B engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis B engine
    Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 1:00pm
Ok I finished installing my woods mower and test drove it. It does a nice job. But one time around the yard and the engine started to bog down and died. It starts right up, but runs well for about 8 or 10 minutes and then bogs down and dies. This time it seemed to be really tight, the starter would hardly turn it over. I tried the hand crank I could turn it but it was tight. I pulled the spark plugs to see if water was in the cylinders , they were all dry. I started it back up and ran it about half throttle and it would run for ever.
I locked the clutch so it was disengaged and no difference.
I suppose next thing to do is clean the main jet in the carb by running a stiff wire through it.
But why is it getting hard to turn over? The oil pressure and water temperature was normal.
John
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 1:08pm
I had a B engine run low on water and the liners / rings/ pistons got hot and it "STUCK"... turned OK after it cooled off... Im wondering if you had 70 years of sediment in the block around the liners and not getting proper water flow around cylinders ? .. You might drain the antifreeze and run a garden hose down the thermostate hole and flush out the lower radiator hose... just a thought....

Also remember the OIL PRESSURE does not feed the bearings.. they are  basically SPRAY LUBED from oil flowing thru the hollow cam shaft... Nice clean oil will help... buy i agree, its hard to blame the oil at this point..

If it starts right back up, then you probably dont have a mag/ ignition problem.. Make sure you have GOOD FLOW out of the gas tank into the carb... and a clean main jet might help.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
john2189 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 1:18pm
Thanks Steve, never thought about it getting hot since the temperature gauge was a little below normal. I’ll check water movement with the radiator cap off
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 1:25pm
TEMP gauge tells you the water pump and thermostat and radiator are working.. It measures the temp in the head ??  .......... Just consider if things could be PLUGGED lower down in the block and not getting any water flow..
john2189 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 5:13pm
Steve, I let the tractor sit for about 2 hours to watch the eclipse. So I started it up , was going to take it behind the garage to remove grill etc to flush it out and I decided to put the mower in gear. I mowed for about an hour, didn’t miss a bit. I wonder if dirt in carb.
Anyway I’m still going to flush the radiator and block. Would it be worth it to put radiator cleaner in it before flush?
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 6:14pm
Flush the gas tank also, crud in the tank or in the nipple above the fuel filter can cause a fuel restriction and the will do what you described.
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 6:24pm
Anyway I’m still going to flush the radiator and block. Would it be worth it to put radiator cleaner in it before flush

anything that loosens up the CRUD would help.. I have used a few spoonfuls of Dawn dish soap also.... Infact, just draining the radiator can give you a good idea of what is "in the block"... you just cant see much thru the radiator cap....... I actually put soapy water in the radiator and ran the tractor around the block for 5 minutes... Drained and got out some crud... Filled again with soapy water and ran around for 5 minutes, and drain... You can do that several times if you have a LOT OF CRUD.... I was thinking to pull the thermostat and stick in a garden hose and FLUSH, but didnt get that far...... i would drain it once just to get a good idea of what is in there.. If its all clean and fresh, no need to go further.. If it looks like rusty river water, keep going !
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 6:54pm
Steve makes a great point about crud around the liners. When I did my B engine over, I was in shock when I saw the muck, and I mean muck in the block! I spent an hour or so just cleaning the muck outta' the block. What a mess!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 8:06pm
that gauge wont read if it doesnt have water surrounding the probe
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 12:59pm
Both Steves are onto something very valid. I had the liner seal leaking on cylinder 4 on my B when I first bought it (I was fully aware when buying it). Around liner #4 was crud like thick jelly packed all around. In previous ownership it had overheated so bad that the bottom of the liner had broken off in pieces due to the oil cooling off the liner skirt. The type of muck there would definitely not come out by any ordinary flushing. You can really wonder how it could so bad, but it has had around 70 years to get that way. I would post pictures here but such skills came easier to me a few years ago on this site.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
john2189 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 8:58pm
There are 3 frost plugs on the oil filter and distributor side. Would it be possible to remove those to better clean the muck out of the block? I assume you can buy them at a napa store
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 9:26pm
Ii have never done that... but sounds like a pretty good idea... I would drain and VERIFY that the antifreeze is DIRTY first... Then get the NEW PLUGS second, before i removed any.

Picture by Dick L..

Edited by steve(ill) - 09 Apr 2024 at 9:32pm
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 11:24pm
Removing the frost plugs would definitely give you good access for sure,, you would still want to hit it with a pressure washer (a garden hose nozzle may not be enough), if it would be as bad as mine. On one block I had good success putting the pressure washer nozzle down the cooling holes on the top of the block and having it drain out the side of the block. The advantage with your idea of popping one or several frost plugs is leaving the top of the engine untouched.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 6:09am
Personally, I don't think I would use a pressure washer. I would be afraid to damage the oil lines or oil pump. Before removing the freeze plugs, I would try a non-sudsing detergent like dishwasher detergent to try to loosen stuff up and copious amounts of water to flush it out. 

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 6:18am
Those 3 soft plugs only allow access to the lifters and pushrods. If you really want to clean the block you need to completely dis-assemble the block. You  can do a reasonable job by only removing the head with lots of digging down through the holes and compressed air.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 8:21am
OOPS... Paul is right.. You cant get there from here... Back to the soap and water.. run a few minutes and flush..
john2189 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Those 3 soft plugs only allow access to the lifters and pushrods. If you really want to clean the block you need to completely dis-assemble the block. You  can do a reasonable job by only removing the head with lots of digging down through the holes and compressed air.

Yes after looking at different pictures, I discovered that. Getting a bit chilly and raining here for the next week or so. When it warms up a bit, I’ll drain and flush it
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic