This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis 670T timing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silveroddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis 670T timing
    Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 6:01pm
Hey Everyone,
I have an early 80's Champion road grader with an Allis 670T motor that I had purchased with known issues. The original theory was that the motor was a repower that had roughly 3500 hours on it, after some brief online research it seemed like it was probably due for Injectors or a pump. The symptoms were lack of power, excessive smoke, and hard starting. Another thing that was suspect was the timing. I previously replaced the injectors and while they were in need of service that didn't correct the problem. Now I've replaced the pump, but am having problems determining correct timing. The Fiat Allis book I have actually has about 4 different timing options depending on the motor and pump. The pump is a roosa master, DM4629JF3865 and my book says to set it at 18 degrees btdc. I tried that and the motor smoked worse than ever. Next I tried 24 degrees and that didn't do anything.
After some reading I came across some info about the damper pulley slipping so I'm heading out to pull the #1 injector and compare the marks to TDC. Aside from than........
Can anyone provide me with a solid # for timing on this pump? Its really leaving me scratching my head on this one.
Any input would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!

j
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 6:17pm
16 to 18 degrees BTDC would be correct for a DM-4 pump. 24 degrees will make it hammer and start even harder and burn a piston/blow a head gasket.
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 6:36pm
You can take the valve cover off to confirm the marks on the pulley, that way you know that you are at the top of correct stroke instead of being half way off. 

Edited by Adam Stratton - 09 Mar 2015 at 6:40pm
Silveroddo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silveroddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 7:17pm
Thanks for the quick responses, I've got the valve cover off and pulled #1 Injector to verify TDC, seems to be correct. I will have to set it back to 16-18 and see what it does.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 12:07pm
These engines don't burn clean as a rule.There is usually a haze which increases under load.
Silveroddo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silveroddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 9:31pm
I've got the machine set at 18 degrees, smokes pretty good as its warming up but does seem to run better. Kind of disappointed in how hard starting it is cold though. Would running it around 16 degrees help this? seems like it has to crank for about 30 seconds to get it to pop off at the moment
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 10:18pm
16 degrees will help some with cold starts, YES.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 10:54pm
If they're a little tired and it's below 40deg you'll need a heater or ether or extra cranking time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic