This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis 2000 Plow Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis 2000 Plow Questions
    Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 5:01pm
Looking to purchase a 4 bottom Allis 2000 plow with the hydraulic reset option.  I can't test it out before purchasing since it is at an auction.  I am worried that I might have problems with the hydraulic plow resets not working.  I looked at the agco parts book and the only thing that looks like it might be hard to find is the accumulator.  If that were bad, is it possible to find a replacement or rebuild it?  The rest of the hydraulics look standard.  I assume the cylinders could be rebuilt. 

It actually looks like a nice feature as long as it works.  I only have experience with mechanical trip back reset plows.  Not going to work this plow heavy except when I re-seed my hay fields which is hopefully once every 4-5 years.  It is going behind a good running 7010. 

Thanks for any guidance on this.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 5:55pm
I would think recharging that accumulator would work or find one of similar cubic inch displacement. They work nice.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 7:22pm
Take a tape measure and measure to get the same distance from any given point on one bottom to the same point on the next bottom. Do this to every bottom at at least three different places to see that the frame isn't bent. You can replace worn out parts but you'll never do a good job with a bent plow
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 9:18pm
also see if you can find out what bottoms it has. The 387 bottoms can still get parts through agco for
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 6:47am
Looking at the Agco parts book, I think it has the 387.  So far, no one has said anything bad about the plow so that's good.  I will do the measurements to see if it is bent at all.  It sure has a heavy duty main beam that looks tough to bend.  I bent an older 3 bottom john deere plow with my 7010 so that's why I am looking at something different and tougher.

I don't fully understand what the accumulator does and I am curious what you recharge it with?  Does it help in applying constant pressure across all of the lines going to the resets?   I assume you use a hydraulic lever to perform the reset once the moldboard trips?  I am assuming it must auto sense which cylinder to apply the pressure to force the reset.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 7:58am
The accumulator acts like a spring/shock absorber.  It's kinda like a high pressure bladder tank.  One side is charged with Nitrogen, then you pressurize the other side with hydraulic pressure from the tractor so that the gas pressure increases so it can act like a spring.  When the bottom trips, the spring effect resets  the trip.  They work awesome, very nice plow.  It's been a very long time since we had one, but it pulled great and did a great job of covering sod, you'll love it in hayfields.  I don't know what bottoms we had on ours, but that was the reason we quit using ours was because we didn't have a good local source for the wear parts.  

Edited by Tbone95 - 21 Sep 2021 at 7:59am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 8:19am
Thanks for that explanation on Accumulator.  I did some research and there are accumulators available but not sure what size I need so not sure what the replacement price would be.  Recharging would probably be the way to go. 

I guess I have confidence that it is worth bidding on and can probably make it work.  The moldboards still have the AC stickers on the back so those must have come from AC.

Thanks for the responses and guidance.  I will report back if I get it.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 8:27am
We pulled our 4 bottom plow like you're looking at with just 72 HP tractor, worked very very well.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 9:18am
I would assume a 2000/3000 series plow owners manual would specify the nitrogen charge pressure, probably 1200 to 1500 lbs ???    I do know we ran Dad's 6 x 16's at about 800 psi hydraulic pressure on the plows pressure gauge. That was enough pressure to keep all bottoms in the ground and then when an obstruction was hit the 800 psi oil pressure would push against the nitrogen bladder pressure, which was higher. Oliver pioneered this type of hydraulic/nitrogen system on moldboard plows I believe.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 9:43am
I had a 3-18s one for my 185, worked real good but all of the pivot joints were wore out.  Bushings were available but I just went to a trip bottom instead of all that fixing, hardly use a plow anymore.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 10:49am
I had a four bottom actually a three bottom with one add-on back in the 70s and 80’s with my Allis 180. Like Jim said I wore out all the non-greaseable pivots my plow didn’t have grease fittings there I had to oil them but they were very expensive to replace so I went with an international 720 plow after 15 years with the 2000. It worked great and I kept the oil side charged around 750 as we have rocks.
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 10:56am
Thanks for the additional insight on the nitrogen pressure.  I am guessing a hydraulic shop may be able to guide me on recharge if it is needed.  Thanks for pointing out the bushing wear.  I will check it out.  It would be nice not to have to back up.  Good that a 72 HP tractor can pull it too.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 2:17pm
Is it at a farm auction or a consignment auction.  Seems like most people take their problems to consignment auctions.  At a farm you usually find good equipment.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 2:34pm
It is a consignment auction.  Agreed they can be problems, but I have had god luck at this particular auction over the years.  I have also noticed that some people just don't have enough equipment to mess with a farm auction so this is their only outlet.  At least it doesn't have an engine or transmission that can go bad and cost thousands to fix.  Since I see the Allis logo on the moldboards and the 2000 clearly, I think it is lightly used or definitely been in the barn a long time.  Otherwise, you typically can't read any of the lettering if run hard and/or left outside.  Buyer beware as always at farm auctions though.  This is also what I call an "in between" plow.  Too big for small tractors and too small for most big tractors used today so I am hoping demand is low on this plow.  If it goes sky high, I will revert to plan B.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 4:55pm
Turns out that this plow was in exceptional condition.  I had a friend bid it to $1000 for me since I couldn't make it to the sale due to a football game and he got outbid at $1,100.00.  We have seen plows go for a few hundred dollars in the past.  It had very little wear on it too.  I am not sure where it would have stopped but I probably should have bid more after looking at comparable prices for a plow in that condition.  Other IH plow made it to $600.  Oh well, live and learn.  I thought I would report back.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 5:22pm
Bummer. That’s high for a plow, but sounds like a dandy.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 5:53pm
Sorry you missed that one. Keep looking cause I imagine you’ll find another. I still use my AC 2000 6-18 392 bottoms, spring trips, & love plowing with it. Great plow!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 6:58pm
If you don't have anything against auctions, keep watch at others around, it may just be making the rounds as many things I used to see. In times past I've put concealed marks on things and have seen the same item at many auctions. When you get outbid by the auctioneer, he'll move it on to the next auction and maybe won't be so greedy next time. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 7:57am
Not sure there is a conspiracy as I wasn't there but after looking on TractorHouse prices for these AC 2000 plows, I should have bid more.   Seems like old equipment in good shape is starting to go much higher now than it did in the past.   As I have watched or attended auctions this past year, it seems like things are trending higher.  Maybe the online auctions are starting to bring in more buyers too which is a good thing if you are a seller.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic